Affleck Co-Writing and Directing Standalone Batman Film

Started by BatmAngelus, Thu, 9 Jul 2015, 23:05

Previous topic - Next topic
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: Catwoman on Fri, 10 Jul  2015, 01:54
Please don't screw it up, Ben.

Well, he did screw up his own marriage, so anything's possible.  :P

All jokes aside, what do people think this reboot will take inspiration from? I can't help but think of Earth One when I hear of Geoff Johns' name. A friend of mine mentioned how awesome it would be if a new live-action Batman film took some inspiration from the Arkham games if Batman finds himself trapped somewhere and is forced to confront all of his enemies who have allied together to end him for good. With the introduction of Joker, Harley Quinn, Deadshot and Killer Croc, I don't see why that can't be a plausible premise as a real movie.

If this film will have a proper crime thriller tone, it needs to show Batman act more of a detective than what we got to date. Burton gave us few glimpses of Batman's intelligence i.e. identifying which chemicals that the Joker had tainted to create the Smylex gas, but we need to see more. The closer we got since was a bullet fragment scene in TDK, but A) Batman still needed Fox's help and B) that entire scene felt more like fan service because it wasn't really all that important to the plot and could've easily been written out without affecting the outcome. It would be more captivating if Batman used his intelligence to unlock a secret that turned the story on its head.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Good news. I'm basing this just on the visuals but long let the Affleck era reign, in my opinion.

This is great news!

Affleck is a filmmaker of integrity with a brilliant streak.  Gone Baby Gone, The Town and Argo in particular are all accomplished films.  In many ways I think Affleck might have the best pre-Batman filmography of any of the directors who have gone on to make a Batman film (yes, better than Burton, Nolan, Schumacher and Snyder's pre-Batman filmographies).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 10 Jul  2015, 11:15
Quote from: Catwoman on Fri, 10 Jul  2015, 01:54
Please don't screw it up, Ben.

Well, he did screw up his own marriage, so anything's possible.  :P

Of course Jen goes on the market the same week I get married. Just my freaking luck. lol.

I hope he's able to stand on his own two feet like you said. Yet another reason it's hilarious when people say that Bale is the best. He had his freaking hand held through the whole series. We want to see a Batsy that can topple empires almost all alone (obvs we need some help from Alfred) with all the skills and intelligence at his disposal.

One word;

STOKED!

That is all....

Seriously though, so excited for this, wanna see elements from everything; I wanna see easter eggs galore, I wanna see pieces of the first two Arkham games thrown in, I wanna see the badass-ery of Keaton and Vilmer, I wanna see pieces from comics we haven't seen adapted yet (Noel, Court Of Owls, ect).
I would also kill to see Matt Haggan in it too: Affleck, give me ClayFace!!

I'm surprised at all the fandom for the Arkham games here.  They're so gloomy and drab.  I'd much rather the Affleck films took their inspiration from the smart, colourful and imaginative Batman: The Animated Series.

Then again, in view of the relentless doom and gloom we got in 'Man of Steel' I suppose it is more likely that the new films will resemble the glum, lurid Arkham games.  ::)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Affleck's directing track record is with gritty crime dramas (though I've only seen The Town). That plus the popularity of the Arkham games and the current look of BVS, and I'm predicting that this will have a similar dark tone to Nolan's, but with more comic book elements, at least in the visuals.

While Geoff Johns's most notable Batman work is with Earth One, I have a feeling we won't see a ton of those elements in here. They're likely not going to cover an origin elements with a post-JL movie Batman and the Alfred characterization is dependent on what Snyder's doing with Jeremy Irons on the current film.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: Seantastic on Fri, 10 Jul  2015, 19:19
One word;

STOKED!

That is all....

Seriously though, so excited for this, wanna see elements from everything; I wanna see easter eggs galore, I wanna see pieces of the first two Arkham games thrown in, I wanna see the badass-ery of Keaton and Vilmer, I wanna see pieces from comics we haven't seen adapted yet (Noel, Court Of Owls, ect).
I would also kill to see Matt Haggan in it too: Affleck, give me ClayFace!!

What about the Boris Karloff guy or whatever his name is lol. Karlo something? I say that cause Matt Hagan is the name of an NHRA driver and I don't like him.  :-[

But Clayface would be awesome.