Article: "Holy 20th birthday, Batman! 13 reasons why Batman Forever is the best"

Started by The Laughing Fish, Thu, 18 Jun 2015, 10:45

Previous topic - Next topic
Sometimes what you need is the right catalyst to adjust your perspective and a lot of time. With Nolan's trilogy and with twenty years, I'd say there's been enough of both.

Schumacher's Batman movies really are a good palette cleanser when you've had way too much over-the-top dark Batman. In fact, I think I'm basically done with the ultra-gritty and violent Batman. What I want is a third Schumacher Batman film now.

Is Batman Forever the best? Well, there's no point choosing favorites. The four movies in the original franchise each have their own identity. And each director brought his own sensibilities to the character. Taken together, they tell the story of a brilliant, tortured man who overcomes his worst fears, his most violent tendencies and his darkest obsessions.

They take Batman from being a vengeful, driven vigilante to a HERO. He starts off as Gotham City's worst nightmare and ends the series as its brightest hope. And against all odds, he assembles a surrogate family to replace the one he might've had under other circumstances. He makes the best of a bad situation, he never gives up and his drive ultimately overcomes all adversity.

What's not to love about all four films?

But yes, Batman Forever is awesome.

Its my favourite!
Ohhhh, that looks like fun! Lemme try! *Lemme try!* Ball up the fist, reach way back, and assert your... OW!!

Schumacher had a distinct visual style, and it's undeniably striking. For example look at this:

The above GIF could be Schumacher's 'descent into mystery' - completely different vibe but still a visual treat. And like colors said, it's rather refreshing to see after grim/dark versions of the character.