Batman: Gotham by Gaslight

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 25 Aug 2017, 02:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Mignola's art style isn't easy to adapt into what's supposed to be a mainstream, commercial feature. Honestly, I don't understand why the filmmakers didn't stick closer to his style since... y'know, rated R. "Commercial" is out the window at this point.

This could be good. But I can't help thinking the animated GBG looks like it's biting off more than it can chew in the 70'ish minutes I assume it has to tell the story. The GBG story looks to me like it doesn't need much tweaking to be adaptable into a 70 minute feature. Throwing in all that other stuff... I dunno.

I'll give this movie a day in court if for no other reason than Damian Wayne isn't in it. But I'm not going in with huge expectations.

If you're drooling in anticipation of this movie, feel free to ignore everything I've just said.

Johnny Gobbs is referenced in this latest clip. His first mention in a Batman story since the 1989 film.

Jason's hair is red.

Somebody had their thinking cap on with that one.

Finally watched this on the advice of a friend, and I have one question: WHAT IN THE BLUE f*** WAS THAT?!

A few more questions, whited out cause, you know, spoilers...

GORDON?! SERIOUSLY?! They made Jim Gordon, one of the most beloved supporting comic characters ever, into a woman-hating, wife-torturing butcher? How the hell did that idea get approved by DC? How the hell did that idea come up period? What sick-ass fool came up with that?

How ridiculous. I can appreciate plot twists as much as anyone but that? No way. It almost by default can't be called a Batman story if that's the way they decided to play it. I usually try not to let one character's portrayal affect how I feel about an entire movie, but that ruined the whole thing for me, tbh. That's just wrong.

The rest of the movie, idk. Probably sounds ironic coming from me but I feel like Selina's role was laid on a bit too thick and took up too much of the story. I get where they were going with it, but it felt...I don't know. More than a bit contrived, at least. It was an annoying waste that a couple of well-known characters were included just for their name value, since their demises didn't push the story along at all and could have just as easily been filled by original characters. On the plus side I did enjoy the voice performances (even the one that pissed me off so bad above). I love Bruce Greenwood's Batman and Bruce Wayne voices in this and Under the Red Hood, if it isn't going to be Conroy then I will gladly take him as my first alternative. And most of the story was good enough, if not great. I was expecting or at least hoping for something more faithful to the graphic novels which I loved, but some of the original stuff did work. Unfortunately, some of it did NOT work. At all. If I was giving a rotten tomatoes "Yes or No" answer on this one, I think I'd have to say no. First Batman movie I think I would ever say that about.

SOOOOO, what did everyone else think? I'm sure some of you liked the plot twist, I looked up reviews after and saw it being praised. I guess nothing's sacred to some people, lol.

Purdy much. Those two items are basically why this thing is a write-off for me.

Damn shame too because in theory the comic book GBG story should've been relatively easy to adapt.

One of my favorite Batman stories ever and these people went and cannibalized it, wtf...

My friend told me it might have been a reference to Jim Gordon Jr. who is a serial killer in the comics which is something I wasn't aware of and certainly didn't think of. But that doesn't ease my revulsion at all.