The Batman (2022) Comic Influences (SPOILERS)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Mon, 7 Mar 2022, 13:40

Previous topic - Next topic
Batman takes stimulants to boost his energy in The Dark Knight Returns, similar to the stimulant he injects himself with during the finale of The Batman.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 10 Mar  2022, 17:56This might be the first comic-to-screen analysis of a Warner Bros live action Batman movie in which we didn't once mention The Dark Knight Returns. And that's refreshing.

Oh well.

Other miscellaneous observations:

Batman's raised collard resembles the design from Gotham By Gaslight (1989)
The chest logo is similar to Batman's first appearance
Pattinson bears likeness to Bruce/Batman's depiction in Night Cries (1992)
Selina rides away from Gotham on a motorcycle at the end of Batman: The Telltale Series
The telephone recording is reminiscent of the Arkham games patient interview tapes

The bats in the underground basement have likely been placed there, as I predicted. It can't be a coincidence Reeves has Something in the Way's "and all the animals I've trapped have all become my pets" as they start swarming at Bruce's arrival on the motorbike.

It's interesting to note how Batman videogames are becoming almost as much of an influence on the latest movies as the comics and earlier screen versions are. Batfleck seemed to have been influenced by the Arkham and Injustice games, and now we're seeing the Arkham and Telltale games influencing Battinson.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 19 Mar  2022, 19:34
It's interesting to note how Batman videogames are becoming almost as much of an influence on the latest movies as the comics and earlier screen versions are. Batfleck seemed to have been influenced by the Arkham and Injustice games, and now we're seeing the Arkham and Telltale games influencing Battinson.
I think that's something we should probably get used to. The great majority of moviegoers under the age of 45 have probably spent far more time playing Batman video games than they have reading Batman comics. Aside from movies, video games is where they know the character from.

The days of comic books being the primary influence behind comic book movies are probably numbered. In twenty years, comic book influences will probably fewer and farther between.

A possible influence for The Riddler's 'thumb drive' as seen in Dark Victory:

This thread is just two weeks old and it's had over 140,000 views. That averages out at over 10,000 views per day.

I sense a glitch in the Matrix.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 21 Mar  2022, 18:53
This thread is just two weeks old and it's had over 140,000 views. That averages out at over 10,000 views per day.

I sense a glitch in the Matrix.
At this point, it seems obvious that hack writers from hack sites like Buzzhack and so forth trawl threads like this for throwaway clickbait articles. "Five Amazing Comic Book Connections In The Batman! #3 Will Blow Your GD Mind!"

But sometimes they seem to provide attribution, so fair enough, I guess.

E.Nigma, Consulting Detective
Detective Comics #822 (2006)

A sniper shoots from an apartment building at Batman and The Riddler below, with Batman grappling through the window shortly after to investigate. In the film, the shooter is The Riddler.

The Riddler has photographs of people with the view to solve crimes.

Solitaire
Batman #23.2 (2013)

Riddler arranges a flash mob of protestors out the front of a building holding signs and chanting slogans, similar to the protesters outside the funeral for Mayor Don Mitchell Jr.

Riddler in the Dark
Legends of the Dark Knight 100 Page Super Spectacular #2 (2014)

Riddler accepts arrest, is thrown in jail and a riddle is discovered after his incarceration, beginning his game.

The House the Cards Built
Joker's Asylum II: The Riddler #1 (2010)

Joker behind his cell door communicating with villains, telling inmates an old story of a young Riddler, ending the tale with a riddle himself.

Batman: The case of the chemical syndicate

Gordon taking Batman (in this case Bruce Wayne) to a crime scene where the murderd man was found by his son. Batman (Bruce) leaves with an idea about the murder, and goes off to solve the case

I've done some more flicking and think these make the grade.

Penguin: Pain and Prejudice (2012)
Batman enters the Iceberg Lounge demanding answers from the Penguin following a murder.

The Riddle Factory (1995)
Riddler orders his armed men to fire upon a crowd after he expresses contempt for Bruce Wayne.

People placed in death traps and threatened with animals.