Colin Farrell is Penguin

Started by Travesty, Sat, 9 Nov 2019, 16:57

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm not sure if it's official, but he's been cast as The Penguin. What do you think? You think he's a good fit? Will he gain weight for the role, or are they going with a skinny Penguin like what we've seen in the Telltale Batman game and Gotham tv show?

I think it's interesting, but I'm not sold just yet.

At first it seems odd because we have the past in mind. DeVito nailed his version of the Penguin. His grossly overweight, deformed and vulgar incarnation is firmly in the public consciousness. I don't have a problem with that, but for another take the opposite direction would be wise rather than direct competition.

As Trav says, Colin strongly evokes the Telltale Penguin, a series I greatly enjoy.

Telltale's Oswald was best friends with Bruce, but they drifted apart after the Wayne murders. That aspect would be interesting to explore, as it has been lacking in live action - Meredith and DeVito combined. A bigger emphasis on business dealings is the obvious way to go. The Iceberg Lounge would also be an option because I doubt we'd see a pure Telltale adaption.

If he has some accessories, such as a top hat, cigar or umbrella he'll be fine.

Seems like Reeves is taking influence from current media - Kravitz voiced Catwoman in the LEGO Batman Movie, and Gordon was African American in the same film. Riddler having a more contemporary characterization (Arkham games/Zero Year) is also likely. And I'm sure Serkis' Alfred will evoke Beware The Batman/Earth One.

Oh, and good to have the forums back!

Danny DeVito has commented on Colin Farrell's casting.

Quote"Colin's a great actor... He's a good friend of mine. I've known him for many years and I think he's going to do a great job as the Penguin. It's going to be really interesting to see his take on it."
https://screenrant.com/the-batman-penguin-exclusive-danny-devito-colin-farrell-thoughts/

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 23 Nov  2019, 19:02
Danny DeVito has commented on Colin Farrell's casting.

Quote"Colin's a great actor... He's a good friend of mine. I've known him for many years and I think he's going to do a great job as the Penguin. It's going to be really interesting to see his take on it."
https://screenrant.com/the-batman-penguin-exclusive-danny-devito-colin-farrell-thoughts/
The Riddler is my most anticipated of the villains, but there's a lot to be excited about with the Penguin. So much new territory to explore - weapons dealing and the like.

Generally speaking, Reeves made a reference to 'Batman in color', and it's presumed that could apply to costuming and other palette choices. Batman with a blue and gray suit, for example. I'm totally up for a purple Catwoman outfit and a poppin' green for Nashton.

The first pictures have been cropping up online from the location shoot in London, and it looks like we might have our first glimpse of Farrell's Penguin.

His appearance reminds me of something I wrote in another thread last year.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  6 Apr  2019, 12:52Oswald Cobblepot could be reimagined as a Welsh albino mob boss who flies off the handle whenever anyone mocks his white hair ('pen gwyn' means 'white head' in Welsh). Making him an albino would also offer an explanation for why he always carries an umbrella to protect himself from the sun.
https://www.batman-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=3820.msg58973#msg58973

It's unlikely that Farrell's Penguin is an albino, and we certainly can't confirm it from this picture (if this is indeed him, which it might not be). But if they're using my 'white head' idea then I think I deserve at least 93.7% of the final box office gross in royalties. It's only fair.

I don't think that's Farrell, that's just a random guy with an umbrella.

But that other pic of a guy on a motorcycle does look like Pattinson.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon,  6 Jan  2020, 19:51
It's unlikely that Farrell's Penguin is an albino, and we certainly can't confirm it from this picture (if this is indeed him, which it might not be). But if they're using my 'white head' idea then I think I deserve at least 93.7% of the final box office gross in royalties. It's only fair.
If that's Farrell, you're one of the world's true modern geniuses. But that 93.7% request is pure greed. Let's be reasonable and cut it down to 93.6%, okay?

Quote from: Travesty on Mon,  6 Jan  2020, 20:05
But that other pic of a guy on a motorcycle does look like Pattinson.
Yeah, I think it could be. I'm getting Zero Year vibes with the motorcycle and backpack. With a strong underworld element and detective focus, I'll go out on a limb and predict we're going to see the first live action Matches Malone.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  6 Jan  2020, 20:35
But that 93.7% request is pure greed. Let's be reasonable and cut it down to 93.6%, okay?

Oh, fine. I'll just have to find a way of getting by on a measly 93.6% of $800+ million.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  6 Jan  2020, 20:35

Yeah, I think it could be. I'm getting Zero Year vibes with the motorcycle and backpack. With a strong underworld element and detective focus, I'll go out on a limb and predict we're going to see the first live action Matches Malone.
I was saying the exact same thing earlier today. Looks like blatant Zero Year influence. Similar pants, combat boots, similar backpack, similar motorcycle. He's just not wearing a cowl, lol.

And we did get a little bit of a MM in BB when Bruce was investigating Crane, but maybe they'll actually call him that by name. Who knows?

Oh, and Matt Reeves got on twitter to confirm Farrell as Penguin. It's been rumors this entire time, but it's been confirmed now.