The Batsuit

Started by Max Eckhardt, Mon, 8 Apr 2019, 09:32

Previous topic - Next topic
How would you like Batman to appear on film?
I love seeing the neal Adams blue and grey toned Batman suit in the old comics but I'm not sure that would translate very well to film.

Personally I'm a fan of the longer ears. And I love a long cape. I know Burton used differing lengths of capes in various scenes when making his 1989 movie. So it was short and practical for fights and long and operatic for gliding. Perhaps this could be woven into the story and we could see the cape adjust  lengths on screen. (No verbal explanations though, I've have enough of that with the Nolan movies.) just convey the idea visually.

I also prefer Batman to wear black. But I'm not married to the idea of rubber. A black armour weave would be my preference. I do not believe grey is any more realistic for nighttime urban stealth excursions and I wouldn't care even if it was :)

I would also like the yellow chest oval to return. I think we are long overdue. The last time we saw it on film was in 1995. I know the realism of it, the practical merits can be argued for and against both ways but again, I'm more interested in the seeing something visually striking in the movie. Maybe it could be lit manually by Batman?

So he could be hidden in shadows and when he decides to make a dramatic entrance the thing literally glows in the dark seconds before he bursts from the shadows.

As for eye lenses I'm not sure about this one. They worked for me in Ben Affleck's Daredevil cowl. They could have an auto focus mechanic like saw in Spiderman's homecoming suit.

What would you like to see?

Blue and Gray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May I persuade you to take a sandwich with you, sir?

I definitely want to see the yellow chest oval again. As for the color of the suit, I prefer black but I wouldn't mind seeing the blue and grey either.

No armour. No fake padding. No rubber muscles. No all-black colour scheme.

The only part that should be sculpted is the cowl. The rest should be made of a thin lightweight fabric that allows Batman to move with agility and stealth. Stick as close as possible to the old-school comic book costume, and that includes the trunks. Basically a combination of these two suits.

A cloth uniform would shape how this movie approach Batman. He wouldn't be able to do something like the BVS warehouse fight, obviously.

Instead, he would have to use more stealthy methods and surgical strikes to minimize his risk. I like that approach since it's a very Marv Wolfman sort of thing. Plus, it would be something new in big screen cinema. Audiences have seen Batman fight zillions of opponents but it's rare for them to watch him pick his enemies off one by one. Even Nolan's films didn't show that much.

And can we bring the yellow oval back? It's been absent from film since 1995, y'all.

I like the suggestions here. Lately I've been thinking a reference to Batman's first appearance would be cool. Perhaps something similar, with the yellow belt and blue shade to the inner cape. But with the yellow oval on the chest, and no purple gloves. Generally speaking, I'm still really excited about the Patman era.

Vanessa Kirby has been linked to Selina Kyle, and that casting would get a big tick from me. As for Catwoman's costume, I think it's also time for something else. Nolan had his Catwoman in something more akin to the Hush outfit, and we all know what Michelle wore. How about a grey outfit like BTAS, or even purple?

I just saw this on the Batman-Online Facebook page. THIS is the kind of batsuit I want to see in the next movie.

That belt is way too big for that particular cosplay, but everything else looks great. I love that Bat emblem. 

Not bad. Reminds me of the BTAS suit. Word around the campfire is that The Long Halloween will be the inspiration behind the film, so we'll see if that translates to the aesthetics and not just the storyline. I have a feeling we could be getting the white eyes full time, especially given the detective slant. I'm open to that, provided it looks good.

Quote from: illgetdrivethrough on Sat, 13 Jul  2019, 21:38
Blue and Gray
Seems like this is the palette we're getting. It remains to be seen if it's blue and gray ala Neal Adams, or in the spirit of Hush. I think a Hush style suit is probably more likely. But either way, I'm on board with a blue hue. Apart from the Adam West show the live action films haven't gone that route, so it would be a breath of fresh air after all this time.