The Wayne Connection

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 6 Apr 2019, 17:39

Previous topic - Next topic
What role does everyone expect the Wayne family to play in this film? Will Thomas Wayne simply be a background figure contributing to the political context of Fleck's transformation? Or will he have a more active influence on the Joker's creation? I'm assuming this little boy in the trailer is Bruce.

If it is, then there's clearly some connection between Arthur and the Waynes. Will the Joker be the one to kill Thomas and Martha in this version of the story? It wouldn't be the first time he was portrayed as the murderer of Bruce's parents. The Joker or Jack Napier killed the Waynes in the 1989 movie (obviously), as well as the Elseworlds comics Batman: Dark Joker the Wild (1994) and Batman: Detective No. 27 (2003).

Will he also slay them in the new film? If so, will this be part of a wider conspiracy? In the Pre-Crisis canon, Joe Chill killed the Waynes on the orders of mob boss Lew Moxon. And in Batman: Detective No. 27 Napier killed them on behalf of the Knights of the Golden Circle. Sam Hamm's Batman II script also revealed that Napier had killed the Waynes in the 1989 movie as part of a wider conspiracy. Will that be the case here? Considering the political turmoil hinted at in the trailer, it seems plausible.

It's interesting to note that Thomas Wayne is being played by Brett Cullen, who previously played the congressman Selina kidnaps in The Dark Knight Rises.

Since they originally pursued Alec Baldwin for the part, I'm guessing he must have a sizeable role in the narrative. At this point it's hard to tell if that role will be antagonistic or sympathetic.

Silver Nemesis, have you had a chance to see the film yet?

Is so, what are your thoughts in terms of how the film presents the Wayne Family?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

No, I'm afraid I haven't seen Joker yet. I've been rather preoccupied lately, and next week I'm off to Tokyo to stay with my brother for a few weeks. So I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to see it. But I will eventually.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 18 Oct  2019, 22:19
No, I'm afraid I haven't seen Joker yet. I've been rather preoccupied lately, and next week I'm off to Tokyo to stay with my brother for a few weeks. So I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to see it. But I will eventually.
No problem.  I look forward to your thoughts when you do get a chance.  :)

In the meantime, have a good time catching up with your brother.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.