I'm on the radio tonight

Started by Paul (ral), Thu, 29 Aug 2013, 14:55

Previous topic - Next topic
I'll be on the radio tonight to talk about Batman, and more specifically Ben Affleck.

The show is Following the Nerd. It's a live radio broadcast that is the posted as a podcast later in the week. Comic artist PJ Holden will be a guest on the show!

I will post a link closer to the time if broadcast if anyone wants to listen.

If anyone wants to give any opinions or suggestions for discussion on the show post them here...it would be nice to give the show a gist of the opinion of you guys on the site.

Sounds awesome, Paul!

I've stated my own thoughts in Affleck's favor in the respective thread, but one thing that I loved recently was Patton Oswalt's take on it:
QuoteNo matter how many times you post your stupid "Fire Ben Affleck from Playing Batman" petition, I'm going to delete it and block you. Take a deep breath, and think for a second:

Yeah, the dude's made some bad films. Every actor has. Every actor does. Every actor will. It's a huge, arcing career and NO ONE has control over where it goes. Movie to movie, year to year, you're collaborating and trying and risking and, sometimes, yes — failing.

Plus, everyone seems to forget that he had the world dropped in his lap when he was YOUNG. And, judging by how other suddenly-famous youngsters do in the same situation, he fared pretty well. Even when it went wrong, he seemed to keep a self-deprecating, long-view philosophy about the burning freak carousel he'd found himself on.
And then what happened? I mean, he'd fallen from a HEIGHT. You know what happens to 95% of people who weather a descent that steep? They come apart, fray at all of their sanity nodes, and give up.

But then there's the 5% who embrace crushing defeat and see it for the gift it is. And here's the gift: when you fail, and fail UTTERLY, you wake up the next morning and see that the world didn't end. And then the fear of failure is gone. And you're free. You're free to proceed on your own terms and pace — if you have the ego that permits you to.
Ben brushed himself off, realized he'd kept his eyes open on the movies he'd done, and started directing. And he's become a damn good one.

A Batman portrayed by someone who's tasted humiliation and a reversal of all personal valences — kind of like Grant Morrison's "Zen warrior" version of Batman, post-ARKHAM ASYLUM, who was, in the words of Superman, "...the most dangerous man on the planet"? Think for a second and admit that Ben Affleck is closer to THAT top-shelf iteration of The Dark Knight than pretty much anyone in Hollywood right now.

I'd write more, but I have to go work on my post about how an overweight 44 year-old comedian with bad feet and insomnia would be a bold choice for The Joker.
http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/08/26/patton-oswalt-defends-ben-affleck-batman-casting
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Cool Ben.

The show is now going to all about Batman. Past and present.

What do you guys think are the most important milestones in Batman's history?

There's so many.  Other than his creation in 1939, I'd probably include his first adaptation into a serial in 1943, the explosion of Bat-mania in the 1960s with the Adam West series, Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and the movement toward making comics "dark" that continues into today, and more Bat-mania with the 1989 movie and the beginning of WB's ongoing Batman adaptations that go through Burton, Schumacher, Nolan, and now, Snyder with Affleck.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Thu, 29 Aug  2013, 14:55
I'll be on the radio tonight to talk about Batman, and more specifically Ben Affleck.

The show is Following the Nerd. It's a live radio broadcast that is the posted as a podcast later in the week. Comic artist PJ Holden will be a guest on the show!

I will post a link closer to the time if broadcast if anyone wants to listen.

If anyone wants to give any opinions or suggestions for discussion on the show post them here...it would be nice to give the show a gist of the opinion of you guys on the site.
Hopefully you can reflect the overall feelings of the users if this site with respect to Affleck which I think would be fair to say has been at the very least philosophical if not on balance very positive.  Certainly a far cry from the death threats and petitions one has been hearing about elsewhere.  :)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

How did your radio spot go Paul?

I think it went well - had a lot of fun.

The site got plugged a few times. I tried to give a good coverage of the feeling on the site but time was limited (there were 3 of us) so I'm not sure how much came across. There should be a podcast with it all in it soon - and I will post the link then.

Strangely Batman & Robin created a lot of banter lol

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Fri, 30 Aug  2013, 22:07

The site got plugged a few times. I tried to give a good coverage of the feeling on the site but time was limited (there were 3 of us) so I'm not sure how much came across. There should be a podcast with it all in it soon - and I will post the link then.

Batman & Robin?  Really?  What else can one really say about that film?  :)

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Fri, 30 Aug  2013, 22:07

There should be a podcast with it all in it soon - and I will post the link then.

Looking forward to checking it out.  :)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."