Bat-mural project

Started by Paul (ral), Tue, 22 Jan 2013, 10:59

Previous topic - Next topic
I mentioned last month that I was painting a mural on my sons bedroom wall. I finally got started last night.

Just got a few lines drawn. Hoping to get the rest finished today and start fleshing it out with paint.

I like the look it's taking. Well done, doing it yourself is always better regardless of ability.

Are you basing it on the work of any specific artist, ral? Or is it entirely your own composition?

I've looked at concept sketches, model photos and the movies for building shapes.

I printed out a load of them and let my son pick his favourites.

I don't want to clutter it too much...less to paint that way lol

I added a few more buildings quickly tonight. Tomorrow I will be adding 3 large rooftops to close off the bottom for Batman Lego characters to stand on :-)

This looks like a lot of work, can't help but notice that a pointed tower possibly inspired by the Cathedral is a bit low!

Yeah it is low, I was going to do it a lot higher but I thought it would make the whole thing look uneven. Since it is an "inspired work" (so to speak) I didn't worry about making it low.

I can recognise a number of buildings there already. I'd have difficulty drawing straight lines with that precision on regular A4 paper, so I can only imagine how difficult it must be when you're painting a wall on such a big scale. But it's shaping up very nicely.

Wed, 23 Jan 2013, 20:43 #7 Last Edit: Wed, 23 Jan 2013, 20:46 by SilentEnigma
Second to the left in the mural, the one with a steep roof and the chimneys. One of the most charactertistic alongside the cathedral! Why don't you add the statues if they fit somewhere, this was one of the most dominant images from Batman Returns.

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Wed, 23 Jan  2013, 20:43
Second to the left in the mural, the one with a steep roof and the chimneys. One of the most charactertistic alongside the cathedral! Why don't you add the statues if they fit somewhere, this was one of the most dominant images from Batman Returns.

Straight lines I can do (using a spirit level)...those statues might be beyond me lol

The whole idea is that the "scene" is taking place on the rooftops of Gotham

Understood, just throwing suggestions  :)