Sean Pertwee cast as Alfred

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 11 Feb 2014, 19:57

Previous topic - Next topic
The Third Doctor's son has been cast as Alfred. Robin Lord Taylor is playing Oswald Cobblepot, Zabryna Guevara is playing Sarah Essen, and Erin Richards is playing Gordon's fiancée Barbara.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/02/11/gotham-casts-its-alfred-and-the-penguin

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 11 Feb  2014, 19:57
The Third Doctor's son has been cast as Alfred. Robin Lord Taylor is playing Oswald Cobblepot, Zabryna Guevara is playing Sarah Essen, and Erin Richards is playing Gordon's fiancée Barbara.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/02/11/gotham-casts-its-alfred-and-the-penguin

Here's the description for each character:

Alfred:
QuotePertwee (Elementary, Camelot) is set as Alfred Pennyworth, the iconic butler from the Batman franchise. In Gotham, the character is a tough-as-nails ex-Marine from East London, who has loyally served the Wayne family. Now, in the wake of their tragic deaths, he is fiercely protective of the young Bruce Wayne. (The part of the eventual Caped Crusader has yet to be cast.) Others who have played Alfred include Alan Napier (the 1960s Batman); Michael Gough (in the Tim Burton Batman features); and Michael Caine, who most recently co-starred in Christopher Nolan's Batman franchise.

The Penguin:
QuoteTaylor (The Walking Dead, Another Earth) will play Oswald Cobblepot -- aka The Penguin. The character is described as having the brains of a chess grandmaster and the morals of a jackal who is a low-level psychopath for gangster Fish Mooney who hides his sadistic lust for power behind an exquisitely polite demeanor. Taylor becomes the latest actor to play Penguin, joining Danny DeVito (Batman Returns) and Burgess Meredith (the 1960s Batman series).

Sarah Essen:
QuoteGuevara (Burn Notice) will portray Captain Essen, rookie Gordon's boss at the Gotham City Police Department Homicide Squad, who balances the two worlds of police and politics with a Machiavellian skill that is as much corporate litigator as cop.

Barbara Kean (later Gordon):
QuoteGordon. She's joyful but with an edge of vulnerability who stands by her future husband ... which can be difficult in a world as corrupt as Gotham.Richards (Breaking In, Being Human) has been cast as Barbara Kean, a sophisticated ER doctor, who is engaged to marry

The Joker, Riddler and Catwoman are also expected to feature.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Featuring Joker, Riddler and Catwoman are a recipe for fail IMO

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Tue, 11 Feb  2014, 23:36
Why do you say that Ral?

I think it will fail if they present them all as adults.  The Penguin and Joker can be a few years older than Bruce/Batman but the Riddler and Catwoman should be portrayed as around the same age as Bruce Wayne, and thus as 'ordinary' kids who haven't yet become fully-fledged super-villains.  So hopefully by Riddler and Catwoman they mean 'Edward Nash' and 'Selina Kyle'.

In my opinion, I think the entire concept of the show, especially Gordon as the main character, is also a recipe for failure. I know Gordon is an integral part of the Batman mythos, but focusing a show around him feels like another generic cop show. But even if they were to introduce costumed villains, wouldn't Batman's absence make the show feel rather empty?

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 11 Feb  2014, 23:51

In my opinion, I think the entire concept of the show, especially Gordon as the main character, is also a recipe for failure. I know Gordon is an integral part of the Batman mythos, but focusing a show around him feels like another generic cop show. But even if they were to introduce costumed villains, wouldn't Batman's absence make the show feel rather empty?
I think if the show offers an opportunity to focus on the villains' early lives it could be pretty worth-while.  I want to know how these characters became super-villains, something which was barely touched upon in the Nolan movies (which is fair enough because Nolan's focus was always very much on Bruce Wayne).

Also, Gordon's relationship with his fellow cops has only been sketchily covered in the previous live-action incarnations of Batman.  We still have yet to see the likes of Bullock, Sarah Essen and faithful renditions of Commissioner Loeb and Flass.  Hopefully this show will offer scope to cover these stories.

Personally, I am far more excited by "Gotham" than I am by the 'Man of Steel' sequel which will probably marginalise Bruce Wayne/Batman bearing in mind it's already juggling characters like Superman, his supporting cast, Lex Luthor and Wonder Woman.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 12 Feb  2014, 00:13
I think if the show offers an opportunity to focus on the villains' early lives it could be pretty worth-while.  I want to know how these characters became super-villains, something which was barely touched upon in the Nolan movies (which is fair enough because Nolan's focus was always very much on Bruce Wayne).

Off-topic, but I thought exploring the villains' actual character development was badly needed in Nolan's movies, especially that they came across as telling me only the good guy needs any motivation for doing things he does.  ::)

For this show, I don't mind exploring the villains' stories - but I don't want it to become a teen drama like Bruce Wayne, Selina Kyle and Edward Nigma (or Edward Nashton, if they are following the Arkham games' re-imagination) being classmates at high school or whatever.

Also, Gordon's relationship with his fellow cops has only been sketchily covered in the previous live-action incarnations of Batman.  We still have yet to see the likes of Bullock, Sarah Essen and faithful renditions of Commissioner Loeb and Flass.  Hopefully this show will offer scope to cover these stories.

To each their own, but again it's something that I'm not personally into. For me, Batman is the reason why I'm a fan of the mythos; the only time I took any real interest in Gordon's characterisation was Year One.

Personally, I am far more excited by "Gotham" than I am by the 'Man of Steel' sequel which will probably marginalise Bruce Wayne/Batman bearing in mind it's already juggling characters like Superman, his supporting cast, Lex Luthor and Wonder Woman.

Eh? It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges, since Man of Steel 2 is supposed to be a Superman movie featuring Batman. Having said that, throwing Wonder Woman into the mix makes me feel that the thing will feel bloated. Superman, his supporting cast, Batman, Lex, and at least one more villain is enough.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

QuoteFor this show, I don't mind exploring the villains' stories - but I don't want it to become a teen drama like Bruce Wayne, Selina Kyle and Edward Nigma (or Edward Nashton, if they are following the Arkham games' re-imagination) being classmates at high school or whatever.
That 'Gotham High' concept would be awful.  For a comedy or an animated TV series it could be a lot of fun, but for a series drama/cop-show it would be very contrived and improbable.

But by using Gordon as the pivot for the show there's a great opportunity to look at the tragic circumstances that led to each character assuming the guise of a super-hero/super-villain.  Each episode could focus on Gordon dealing with the crimes that affected these young incipient 'super-freaks', with the investigation into the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents forming the show's main narrative.  Of course, it never gets resolved but we may get a piece of the puzzle each season.

This is just speculation but it's what I'd like to see happen and how I think this show could be very effective.  I'd hate to see this potentially fruitful concept wasted.

QuoteOff-topic, but I thought exploring the villains' actual character development was badly needed in Nolan's movies, especially that they came across as telling me only the good guy needs any motivation for doing things he does.
This is partly why I'm looking forward to this show as a corrective.

QuoteTo each their own, but again it's something that I'm not personally into. For me, Batman is the reason why I'm a fan of the mythos; the only time I took any real interest in Gordon's characterisation was Year One.
With the upcoming 'Man of Steel' sequel it's not as if this is going to supplant features focusing directly on Batman, as opposed to his supporting cast, but as far as I'm concerned, any opportunity to look at Gotham and Batman's wider cast of supporting characters is very welcome.  The more live-action Batman films and TV shows the better.  As long as it never becomes over-saturated, and I don't see that being the case with one TV show and a film series.

QuoteEh? It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges, since Man of Steel 2 is supposed to be a Superman movie featuring Batman. Having said that, throwing Wonder Woman into the mix makes me feel that the thing will feel bloated. Superman, his supporting cast, Batman, Lex, and at least one more villain is enough.
I've always been ambivalent about teaming up Batman with Superman.  I'm glad that we'll see a JLA version of Batman but I've always preferred Batman in a more grounded non-sci-fi setting.  Not necessarily as grounded or 'realistic' as the Nolan films but still based in a world where super-powers don't exist.  Like the Burton/Schumacher films.

I am very wait and see with this show.

At this stage I don't really know what to say other than that.

Sun, 9 Mar 2014, 23:24 #9 Last Edit: Sun, 9 Mar 2014, 23:27 by phantom stranger
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 12 Feb  2014, 02:07
I am very wait and see with this show.

At this stage I don't really know what to say other than that.

I'm with you on that. When you think about it, it's interesting that we haven't had a live action Batman show since the 60's.

Birds of Prey had a couple of quick shots of Batman in the pilot but that's about it. Of course, this show won't even have that.

I'm ok with the show reinventing the mythos just so long as it's a well-written drama. I'm not lowering my standards just because it's Batman.