Joker (2019)

Started by Wayne49, Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic

More posters:

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 21 Sep  2019, 06:35
As for the disturbing commentary, I don't see the problem because that excites me the most. I'm hoping for hyper realism to the point if feels like a documentary, shocking people to the core. It's time for F bombs and blood, showing the full potential of the cinematic character, well elevated above what Nicholson or Ledger presented. Instead of cutting away in a typical B89/TDK style blockbuster, show us the knife going in and the bullet nearly blowing the head off. I think that should be the whole point of the movie. This is the format for that experience, because we're not really going to see it anywhere else outside the comics. We laugh at chattering teeth and long barrelled guns, but gore and tragedy is the true soul of the character.
I rather like this. And it is true that we've never seen the Joker reach his full potential outside of comics. JOKER is a chance to see the character undiluted. All thrilla, no filla.

Honestly, JOKER sounds more and more legit all the time. And I'm not just saying that because the bloom is coming off the rose with THE BATMAN.

I got my tickets for Thursday.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 24 Sep  2019, 19:22
Honestly, JOKER sounds more and more legit all the time. And I'm not just saying that because the bloom is coming off the rose with THE BATMAN.
You may be Wright about that. We'll see.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 25 Sep  2019, 04:18
I got my tickets for Thursday.
Excellent. Looking forward to hear your thoughts. My real as possible documentary style desire seems to be eventuating. Concerns have been raised about violence occurring during screenings. Phoenix has walked out during an interview when the question of violence/inspiring others was raised. Some may see this as bad publicity, but I don't.

This only creates a big, bad mystique and that is a very rare thing to capture. The idea this film is the equivalent of an Ouija Board summoning pure evil through the screen. This movie already has the audience on edge before they sit down to watch it, and the content itself will shock the world by all accounts. We could be looking at lighting in a bottle here, all the ingredients are there.

Something I think JOKER could spark in the minds of people is if the character was ever truly funny, or at least in the traditional sense. Killing Joke had him as a failed comedian, but did he ever make the transition from being a loser on the stage to an accomplished comic? I think it's more about him having more confidence and energy in the way he pursues the joke he understands. The facepaint contradicts the real man underneath because without the hurt Napier and Fleck endured beforehand, the Joker cannot exist.

AaAaand another Joker poster:

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

A clip: JOKER Arthur Goes Out On Date Trailer NEW (2019) Joaquin Phoenix DC Superhero Movie HD

FYI, I haven't actually watched the clip. I pulled up the video long enough to snag the URL and then quickly closed the window. I want to see the movie all at once. The teasers and trailers have whetted my appetite for this film well enough. I don't want to see parts of the movie out of context before I watch the whole thing for the first time.

But if you're interested in a clip, well, here you go.

Water Tower Records has released a track from the film score. I rather enjoy it, I must say. No idea about anything else from the score but this piece is great.

Joker - Call Me Joker - Hildur Guðnadóttir (Official Soundtrack)

I just got out of the theater, and I absolutely loved this movie. It's the best DC movie since BB. I liked it more than MOS and BvS. It worked for me on so many levels.

The only gripes is that I'm still not feeling the makeup, and I absolutely hate one song choice that Todd Phillips used in Joker's first reveal. *SPOILERS* During The Joker's first full reveal, Todd Phillips put the dumb 'Hey Song' during the entire scene, and it was such a dumb song that took me out of the moment. I don't know what he was thinking there. *SPOILER*

In brief, I expect to be incommunicado for about a week or so. Maybe I'll get a chance to see the movie during that time.

That's what I'm hoping.

I have also seen the movie and I echo Trav's comments, however I differ on the subject of music selection. I am getting my thoughts down and will elaborate at a later date. Needless to say this is a powerhouse of a movie. Go see it.