is it just me

Started by Catwoman, Tue, 2 Apr 2013, 19:58

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Catwoman on Wed,  3 Apr  2013, 21:38
anyone remember the cereals they did for the burton movies? for '89 it was like cap'n crunch shaped like bats and i think the returns was this chocolate cereal with marshmallows. yummy! and the returns cereal came with like these motion card like things. i had all three :D

sadly it backfired when the McDonalds cancellation of the happy meal promo started the revolution against Burton.

seemed that the promos around the dark knight were general batman promotions as opposed to tie ins; i distinctly remember seeing the generic joker face and batman cartoon/comic style rather than the likeliness from the films. now to be fair i'm not sure what the legalities would have been with Ledgers death.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed,  3 Apr  2013, 18:54
I remember there being quite a bit of merchandising for The Dark Knight. There were action figures and toys in stores, including plastic gauntlets that fired fin guards like in the movie. There were also several picture books aimed at young readers and a Burger King tie-in campaign. This resulted in some parental backlash against the film being marketed towards kids. Once the movie became a critical hit, Warner Bros started promoting it as a prestige film rather than a summer blockbuster.

They did this with The Dark Knight Rises too. I remember being quite disappointed last summer by the lack of  merchandising. I suspect WB was consciously marketing it as a serious prestige film in the hopes it would win loads of awards like Return of the King did in 2003/4. But it obviously backfired on them, because TDKR didn't get a single Academy Award nomination. Heck, even Batman Forever got 3. So WB really shot themselves in the foot with that one. They could have made millions in merchandising if they hadn't been so pretentious.

WB seemed like they've learned their lesson, so far I've seen more children's merchandise for Man of Steel than I did for Dark Knight Rises. It makes me wonder if they've learned their lessons about campaigning for Oscar nominations for a comic book movie though?  ;D
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

There were tons of toys for the Dark Knight series. My God. I still see them on shelves to this very day at TRU stores everywhere. I think the Dark Knight movies were every bit as merchandised as of the others. But to the original series credit, those were more fun to look at. As much as I love the Nolan films, the merchandise was horrid with the exception of the Hot Toys lines.