Pictures of unfilmed Batman merchandise store

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sun, 7 Dec 2014, 03:25

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm surprised that 1989batman.com hasn't posted about this on the forum yet. There was supposed to be scene of a Batman gift store being set on fire by the Red Triangle Gang's flamethrower at the beginning of the film, but it was cut out. It was originally planned in the script too.

QuoteFROM OUT OF THE DARKNESS OF THE OPENING CREDITS WE GO TO...

EXT. A STORE--EARLY EVENING OF THE CURRENT ERA

Where the Batman logo fills the frame with a portentous soundtrack boom. A playful salvo of snowballs reverberates against this image as the logo is revealed to be a hanging centerpiece in the window of a Batman merchandising store, along with Batman sleds, lunch boxes, T-shirts, and ticking clocks...

The shop is later destroyer by the Fire-breather in the script, which was changed to a standard department store in the film (though it appears that the Batman store set was simply re-dressed as evidenced by the production stills featuring the Fire-breather above):

EXT. THE PLAZA--NIGHT

A FIRE BREATHER smashes open a big hole in the Batman Store display window with his Fire-rod. He sticks his rod in his mouth, then bellows a cloud of flame onto the Batman merchandise.

Shown here for the very first time is that Batman store set piece- Fully completed as part of Gotham City! The store is even stocked with real Batman merchandise, including the arcade game with a picture of Bruce Wayne clearly visible! Good thing Penguin never stopped in this shop... The secret would have been out for sure. :)

Here are the pictures of the set.

http://www.1989batman.com/2014/09/special-feature-batman-returns_26.html
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Raises a LOT of questions. No one really paid any mind to this in the script because we assumed they simply ditched the idea before filming. But the fact that they transformed it during production is what makes this interesting. Is it possible that they filmed this?

To me, this seems like a clever reaction to the Batmania in real life that came with the first film. Makes you think what Burton was trying to say by obliterating it. I still think a Batman sled being used to destroy stuff would've been hilariously ironic. And while it probably wouldn't have been visible, but a lot of stuff in there would've made you wonder. Since when does Batman pose for publicity photos? The picture of Bruce himself on the arcade cabinet was already brought up. And then there's Robin in there. Looks like they would've predicted that one. And while it's not unrealistic to have a toy of the Joker, I think that's like having an action figure of a serial killer in real life made for kids. I'm sure Joker would have liked nothing more than to have been remembered in such a way.

Also, I believe Batman: The Animated Series featured something quite similar. While Batman was shown to be a celebrity through toys and merchandise, it did at one point feature a store window like this. I wish I could remember the episode. Not sure if it was coincidence or otherwise, but Bruce Timm did indeed visit the Returns set when the Animated Series was just getting going, so it's possible that he was influenced.

That episode is "I Am the Night." The one where the Commish gets shot. One of the best episodes ever!

Ah yes! Shame on me for forgetting.

A Batman store open 24 hours? Yes please.

I saw BR last Saturday night and I had recently seen this news. In the scene before Batman fights some of Penguin's men in the street (before he uses his electronic batarang), I'm pretty sure I saw a window with Batman merchandise! Look carefully at the scene where a man is being rushed out of the store, the window just behind him seems to have this merchandise. I smiled when I saw it because I just heard about this Batman merchandise shop that was to be filmed about a day or two prior.

Quote from: Catwoman on Sun,  7 Dec  2014, 04:20
That episode is "I Am the Night." The one where the Commish gets shot. One of the best episodes ever!

Wow this looks horrid. It's not one of the best cause Gordon gets shot! That's not what I meant!

Ug. lol

Ok, question: Is all the stuff in this Bat Store stuff they really sold after the first movie came out? I'm making a Christmas list if so.

And did anyone else notice the Robin toy?

Quote from: Grissom on Thu, 11 Dec  2014, 02:26
I saw BR last Saturday night and I had recently seen this news. In the scene before Batman fights some of Penguin's men in the street (before he uses his electronic batarang), I'm pretty sure I saw a window with Batman merchandise! Look carefully at the scene where a man is being rushed out of the store, the window just behind him seems to have this merchandise. I smiled when I saw it because I just heard about this Batman merchandise shop that was to be filmed about a day or two prior.
You had me going there, but after checking, it's just cameras and cassette players (there's a closeup at the beginning of the scene).
http://screencaps.us/199/2-batman-returns/full/batman-returns-disneyscreencaps.com-6129.jpg

Quote from: Grissom on Thu, 11 Dec  2014, 02:26
You had me going there, but I'm not seeing it. Both are stocked with cassette players and cameras.

You may be right but I think there are more than one window visible.  It's not a close up shot, sort of in the background, withyyellow and black.  I'll have to pause and zoom in next time I watch it. Still I may be wrong.