1989 Batmania Vids

Started by BatmanFurst, Tue, 7 Jul 2020, 05:58

Previous topic - Next topic
This is a vintage Spanish commercial for what looks to be Batman markers and coloring books.

For this next one starting at 11:23 is a commercial for The College of Comic Book Knowledge which is a comic book shop in Minneapolis showing off their Batman merch.

Seems like they Photoshopped West's costume to look a little more like Keaton's. Weird.

And Out Of This World! The worst show that I ever loved. And I loved some pretty awful ones.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  9 Aug  2023, 00:52Seems like they Photoshopped West's costume to look a little more like Keaton's. Weird.

Now that you mention it the cape and cowl do come as as black rather than light blue. It's interesting that seemingly every major city in America started to show the West series again surrounding the release of the 89 film. I think that brought in new fans to the show.

Wed, 9 Aug 2023, 02:36 #63 Last Edit: Mon, 4 Sep 2023, 20:11 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: BatmanFurst on Wed,  9 Aug  2023, 01:46Now that you mention it the cape and cowl do come as as black rather than light blue. It's interesting that seemingly every major city in America started to show the West series again surrounding the release of the 89 film. I think that brought in new fans to the show.
Not just major cities. Even the small town I lived in back then got the reruns.

B89, Adam West, Filmation's Adventures Of Batman, The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told and (somewhat) The Complete Frank Miller Batman all formed my introduction to the character. I think

I read somewhere that TV show getting new life post-B89 finally made West and Ward millionaires from residuals. In particular, West went from decades of constant money struggles to being a man of means and leisure very quickly. By 1990, he was set.

And if anyone associated with Batman ever deserved a golden parachute, it was him. He earned it.

Got another comic book store commercial from the Summer of 89.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  9 Aug  2023, 02:36I read somewhere that TV show getting new life post-B89 finally made West and Ward millionaires from residuals. In particular, West went from decades of constant money struggles to being a mean of means and leisure very quickly. By 1990, he was set.

And if anyone associated with Batman ever deserved a golden parachute, it was him. He earned it.
That's interesting if true. Glad to know that everyone associated with Batman came out of Batmania with some more change in their pockets.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sat, 12 Aug  2023, 18:01
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  9 Aug  2023, 02:36I read somewhere that TV show getting new life post-B89 finally made West and Ward millionaires from residuals. In particular, West went from decades of constant money struggles to being a mean of means and leisure very quickly. By 1990, he was set.

That's interesting if true. Glad to know that everyone associated with Batman came out of Batmania with some more change in their pockets.

Michael Uslan made a post about the fude with Adam West turning into a friendship (apperently Adam West was against a darker Batman). And I wonder if this is partly why, it gave Adam the pay he deserved.

Here's something fun. On the 1989 Halloween special the host of Family Feud dressed up in a homemade version of Keaton's suit.

Here is this cute little scene from an episode of Full House featuring DJ and Stephanie Tanner dressed up as the Joker and Batman.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I found a video chronicling the history behind the studio marketing for the Batmania hype.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei