The Alien Franchise

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 9 Jul 2017, 19:07

Previous topic - Next topic
I'll give it a shot. Looks interesting.

Interesting video speculating on how the film apparently takes place after ALIEN, but before ALIENS, and the idea of Big Chap possibly being brought back.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Really hope that's true. Not just because it would be cool to have that connective tissue to the first film, but in how it would again demonstrate how insanely resilient the Aliens are. No way a Predator could withstand that level of punishment and still clinging to some form of life. Given its close proximity to Isolation I'd love to see any references to that story. I'm happy to include that in official canon, and I hope I come to say the same for Romulus.

Unfortunately, I've never played "Alien Isolation", so I am not super-familiar with that story line, but I get the idea about the Alien being resilient being something that "Romulus" can take aim at. In doing so, that sort of direction would honestly give even more credence towards Ash's admission of having high regard of the Alien itself as the "perfect organism".

I have no idea how good "Romulus" will wind up being, but theoretically "Romulus" could provide something of a 'satisfying' Alien cinematic trilogy if it actually comes out good.

For simplification purposes.  ;D

Alien: Introduction to Ripley, the Nostromo crew, the 'planetoid' (LV-426) and the Big Chap Xenomorph.

Alien Romulus: Continues the story of the Big Chap Xenomorph as (it is found and awakened? Reverse engineered?) and attacks a young crew of space colonists.

Aliens: Returns to the story of Ripley as she is also found, brought back to LV-426, where she goes on to confront the Alien Queen (mother of Big Chap).

That's probably being too optimistic, but it's a thought that could work out given just how satisfying the new film will wind up being? Especially considering how you would be hard pressed to find fans of the franchise whom do not have misgivings about "Alien 3" and "Alien Resurrection". I do hope that Fede Alvarez, given the story's time frame between "Alien", and "Aliens", was at least cognizant of Ridley's Scott's directorial style and tried to follow suit to some extent (at least for the beginning and end sequences ... kinda like what was originally done for Batman Forever with filming Burtonesque opening and closing scenes) in order to make it blend in with "Alien".

This was something James Cameron noted on his commentary track for the "Aliens" DVD, as he says that he obviously wanted to put his own stamp into the franchise, but also was familiar with Ridley's style of directing, and shot the scene of Ripley and Jones the Cat being found in the escape shuttle using long lenses. As Cameron wanted "Aliens" to blend right from "Alien" if one wanted to do a double feature. Which makes all the sense in the world, cinematically.

Here is the quote:

"I went to school on Ridley [Scott]'s style of photography, which was actually quite a bit different from mine, because he used a lot of long lenses, much more so than I was used to working with." - James Cameron   

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 22 Apr  2024, 00:30Unfortunately, I've never played "Alien Isolation", so I am not super-familiar with that story line, but I get the idea about the Alien being resilient being something that "Romulus" can take aim at. In doing so, that sort of direction would honestly give even more credence towards Ash's admission of having high regard of the Alien itself as the "perfect organism".   

I definitely recommend you to check out Alien Isolation whenever you can. It takes place around twelve years after the first film and you play Ripley's daughter investigating a distress signal at a space station, who is also trying to find out what happened to her mum. The game contains audio recordings of all the characters from the first film, but trying to find all of them is a challenge. If you get the complete edition, you can play DLC mini-games that recreates key events from the first film e.g. Ripley's dramatic escape from Nostromo.

Tonally, Isolation more inline with Ridley Scott's vision than James Cameron in terms of scenery and atmosphere. As such, the game lives up to the spirit of that film as a survival horror game and weapons don't come into the game until you're about two-thirds into it. The only time it resembles Cameron's Aliens is the moment when you investigate deeper into the space station, where a huge hive nested there and you have Facehuggers popping out everywhere.

As for Romulus, it looks good. It may not reinvent the wheel compared to what we saw before, but that's alright as long as it has that gritty suspense.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei