Flash (CW)

Started by BatmAngelus, Wed, 31 Jul 2013, 02:33

Previous topic - Next topic
WB has released the first picture of the costume. Judging from the chinstrap, it seems to be based on the New 52 design.

I'll reserve final judgement until I've seen the rest of it, but this early glimpse has got me really excited. I'm so thrilled they've stuck to the comic costume. They said they would, but I didn't believe it. And he's wearing the cowl! After years of superhero shows without any superheroes in them, we're finally getting a new TV show where the main character wears a cowl and has super powers! I really hope this doesn't suck. It has a lot of potential.

I so want them to tie this into the movies now!

The producers from Arrow will be producing Flash too. I found this article from last year that reports how they will approach the character:

New FLASH TV Series Details From ARROW's Andrew Kreisberg, Geoff Johns 'He Will Be The Flash'

"He's obviously been a strong personal favorite of both Geoff and mine," said Kreisberg on the call, "So when Greg [Berlanti] approached us and said 'Hey, what would you think if we did The Flash as a spin-off?' all of us lit up!" Kreisberg went on to mention that Barry Allen, unlike the other powered members of the Justice League, isn't a demi-god, an alien, or a king, but rather gets his powers through a freak accident and has a "human and grounded" reaction to it.

"Olver Queen is a very dark and tortured soul, and Barry is not. I think it will be fun to see these two characters together because they have distinctly different world views while both caring very deeply about right and wrong,"  Kreisberg teased about the dynamic between the pair."As excited as we are to write for Barry, we're really excited about what Barry's arrival is going to mean for Oliver, for Diggle, for Felicity, and everybody." Johns added that Barry being a cop (he's a forensic scientist in the comics, and that's how he'll be introduced on Arrow) means "he follows the law, he follows the rules; he's the last thing in the world you would ever think about as being a vigilante."

The two characters will "learn from each other," Kreisberg said, and Barry Allen will really challenge the way Oliver Queen thinks about what a hero is.

While he'll be a regular forensic scientist in his inital appearance in Starling City, Geoff Johns clarified that this won't be a "Smallville - The Blur" kind of appearance. He'll wear a version of his red comic book costume, and he will be identified by his comic book superhero name. "There will be no sweatsuits or strange code names. He will be The Flash."

Source: http://www.newsarama.com/18536-arrow-s-kreisberg-johns-give-new-flash-tv-details.html

Good to know that Flash will actually be called Flash and not some lame nickname i.e. The Hood. It's promising to know that Barry Allen won't be a brooding clone like Bruce Wayne and Oliver Queen.  :)

But it does make me ask why are the same producers who are doing Arrow and Flash resist calling Oliver Queen Green Arrow?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

New costume in full view:

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Looks better than I expected. I was thinking they were going to give him some kind of costume/street clothes hybrid (like Daredevil).

Still, I prefer the 1990 version.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Wed, 12 Mar  2014, 02:05
Looks better than I expected. I was thinking they were going to give him some kind of costume/street clothes hybrid (like Daredevil).

Still, I prefer the 1990 version.

I prefer the 1990 suit too. I found another, clearer picture of the new costume that was taken during filming. It looks like it's made of leather and cotton instead of the sculpted suit that John Wesley Shipp used to wear.

Well, that pic LF posted actually doesn't look as good but, hey, lighting is everything with these costumes.

Thu, 13 Mar 2014, 00:13 #27 Last Edit: Thu, 13 Mar 2014, 19:01 by Silver Nemesis
I'm pleased to see the show is now apparently titled 'The Flash' instead of just 'Flash'. :)

Here are some more pics taken on location.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this suit. Sure, I could nitpick – I think it's a little too baggy, I'm not mad on the texture, I wish the chest emblem was larger and had a white background, and I'd prefer it if the boots were yellow (that's also my one criticism of Shipp's costume from the 90's series). But overall, it's not at all bad. I'm sure they'll refine it as the series progresses, making little adjustments between episodes. But at the end of the day it does look like the New 52 version of the Flash's costume. And I'm happy with that. I admire them for having the guts to make a full on costumed superhero show when no one else is brave enough to even try.

I'm particularly pleased to see that the wings on the side of the cowl are three dimensional. It was impossible to tell in the first teaser pic, and I was concerned the bolts might simply be drawn onto the sides of the cowl like Captain America's wings in the Marvel films. But evidently that's not the case.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Wed, 12 Mar  2014, 02:05Still, I prefer the 1990 version.

Same here. Shipp's was easily the best of the four live-action Flash costumes (I'm not counting the Smallville version, as that was Bart Allen, not Barry). But I'd say the new outfit ranks a respectable second place.

Speaking of Shipp, he's been photographed on set with Gustin. And he's wearing a red hoodie.

Red hoodie = red sweater? Jay Garrick? Make it so!

The suit looks ok, I guess.

Geoff Johns tweeted this picture accompanied by the words "Flash Fans -- notice anything from the lore...?"

As Flash comic fans will know, Paul Gambi is the name of the tailor who makes the rogues' costumes for them. I wonder which rogues will appear on the show...