Favourite scenes in Batman v Superman

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 10 May 2016, 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic
Indeed. The common angle people use is 'Snyder just thinks killing is cool, there's no arc!'. But time will be the ultimate proof, even though BvS states things quite clearly in the first place.

The Blu-Ray comes out in a week, so I'm eager to watch this on my 55" TV. BvS UC is one of my favourite DC products in existence. It's visual wallpaper. No other comic book film comes close in my opinion, other than Burton's two and Man of Steel.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 16 Jul  2016, 04:43
The detractors keep on saying Snyder has no plan, and there's no arc for the characters. Um...I strongly disagree. When Justice League comes out and has Batman reverting to his pre BvS self, that will be the proof. But then the haters will say "oh...that's just WB correcting their mistakes." You can't win with these people.

Yet if they rebooted Batman and Superman again, people would whine about having to sit through another origin story like they did with Spider-man.

I dig what they did with Doomsday in BvS. They made him Superman's superior in every way, as it should be. Strength? He's got big blue covered there. Heat vision? Superman brought a knife to a gunfight. Recovering from injury? Doomsday keeps going and actually becomes stronger from attacks. Doomy absorbs energy to decimate city blocks, whereas Supes retains energy inside his body. I think Doomsday being a deformity also plays well because Kal is a natural birth. Meaning he had free will to be whatever he wanted to be, whereas Doomy and others had specific tasks.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 12 Aug  2016, 11:22I dig what they did with Doomsday in BvS. They made him Superman's superior in every way, as it should be. Strength? He's got big blue covered there. Heat vision? Superman brought a knife to a gunfight. Recovering from injury? Doomsday keeps going and actually becomes stronger from attacks. Doomy absorbs energy to decimate city blocks, whereas Supes retains energy inside his body. I think Doomsday being a deformity also plays well because Kal is a natural birth. Meaning he had free will to be whatever he wanted to be, whereas Doomy and others had specific tasks.
There is that.

Another thing though is that Doomsday in the DCEU could only exist because Superman killed Zod. That single action ultimately led to Superman's own death... or something like it. One logical takeaway lesson for Superman (and perhaps others) is that taking a life may seem like small potatoes in the moment, even if (especially if) it leads to something noble in the short term like saving other lives.

But there is a price to be paid for that sort of thing... and in this case, Superman is the one who paid it with his own life at Doomsday's hands but also with his reputation at mass media's hands. Had Superman found a different way to take Zod down, might Batman have been less inclined to see Superman as a killer? We'll never know. But it's worth asking the question.

There's that, and it's all valid and well said.

Superman also died in the exact same way as his biological father. Impaled in the chest.

To circle back to the topic, I enjoy the scene that shows Clark searching for the witness (I forget the specifics) in Gotham City and bumping into some black people talking about Batman. One guy says "He's madder than ever" or some such.

The reason I like that is because it sets Batman up not as an urban legend but almost modern folklore where the innocent and the guilty talk about him. They know when he's feeling relaxed (relatively) or if he's more ticked off than usual. This isn't the first time those people have talked about Batman. It's probably not even the 100th time. It's part of their daily life.

It's incredibly rich universe-building.

But it also serves a double purpose. It's the audience's first glimpse of this stuff. And it's Clark's first glimpse too. He doesn't know what to make of this craziness that these local yokels just roll with and take for granted as normal.

Very well done.

Another good tidbit was Superman's line to Lex "You think I'll fight him for you?" I dig everything about Cavill in that scene. He's so calm and confident. He told Batman to hang it up and retire. But he'll settle all family business with Batman on his own schedule; not Lex's. He's not "protecting" Batman, per sé. He's simply unwilling to take Batman down just to appease Lex.

Again, very well done.

If I've got a gripe with BVS, it's how relatively little interaction Superman and Lex have with each other. Unlike STM and SR, BVS works better for only have those few scenes. STM and SR could've (and should've!) had more of those two characters interacting with each other and working through their conflicts.

BVS needs the dramatic reveal of Lex being set up early in the film and then being revealed as the true mastermind of everything that went wrong in the film. The structure cannot change there.

It's a necessary evil, and I get that. But Cavill and the Zuckerberg guy whose name escapes me really do play well off each other. There's no accounting for stuff like that when you're writing a script but it's still a crying shame they don't have more screen time together.

Then again, that's what future movies could be used for.

Way I see it, Luthor can come out of this clean. Just like the comics. Batman had him moved to Arkham Asylum. When the charges are laid, Lex simply pleads insanity and gets let off. Some more time passes, and he is declared sane once more. Cured by the good doctors at Arkham. Then Luthor gets out and retains his bald head and colder personality which developed from living in such a harsh environment. He also takes back control of his company and grows it. That's where the true hatred and resentment comes from between the two. Lex is pissed that his foe came back to life, and that the war goes on.

And Superman? Well, enough said. Lex had him killed. Clark probably found Lex weird before, but had no beef with him. Lex brought the beef to him, starting something from nothing. So now he hates his guts.

I think the brief altercations between Lex and Superman worked. Lex was a detached observer who had already made his mind up. He didn't want to get to know Clark, because he thought he already knew him. In his eyes, Superman was a dangerous fraud who had humanity fooled. There's a lot to work with and people who disregard it aren't seeing the big picture.