Discussing Deleted Scenes

Started by Gotham Knight, Tue, 24 Nov 2020, 17:03

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 24 Nov 2020, 17:03 Last Edit: Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 19:05 by Gotham Knight
Forgive me if this was posted before. I haven't been around in a while.

I was reading through the script dated October 6, 1988 by Hamm/Skaaren because that is the script that was around as they began shooting, and I made a list of all the major scenes that don't make it into the final cut. There aren't that many. In fact, barring some slight line alterations and little beats (Is it Halloween?), I could only count four major scenes, only one of which we know for certain was shot.

1. Alternate Vicki/Bruce date that begins with horseback riding. My feeling is that it was altered before they shot it. So not really a deleted scene.

2. Vicki at Photo Shoot. After setting the wheels in motion on discovering Bruce's secret, "Tony" calls Vicki to a photo shoot promising that the client has info on Batman. Mr. Kerr never shows, but Vicki witnesses the deaths of Amanda Keeler and Candy Walker via Smilex. Was this shot? Very interested in this one.

3. The Apartment/Chase scene, even as they were going into production, was still the big set piece that Hamm had envisioned, however now the scene involved the Mayor being taken hostage, not Dick Grayson. The bits in the apartment are different as well. Bruce has the utility belt with him, which he has to hide from Joker, and the dead flowers surprise is handled before Joker shows up. The gift arrives via postman and Bruce helps Vicki unwrap it. I know that the major chase was not filmed at all, but I wonder if they had done any filming in the apartment before the chase was dropped (budget was the reason, I think.)

4. Knox as Batman. This is the only scene that I know was shot. We have production photos that prove it.

Anybody got anything? I'm most interested in the model death scene because I feel it is possible that they shot it.

There's the brief scene of Batman rescuing the young girl who asks "is it Halloween?", which I don't mind. It adds a degree of humanity which I don't think impairs his reputation. It's super brief, isolated and then he moves back into battle. He's fighting for these people.   

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Tue, 24 Nov  2020, 17:03
2. Vicki at Photo Shoot. After setting the wheels in motion on discovering Bruce's secret, "Tony" calls Vicki to a photo shoot promising that the client has info on Batman. Mr. Kerr never shows, but Vicki witnesses the deaths Amanda Keeler and Candy Walker via Smilex. Was this shot? Very interested in this one.
I can't remember the source but I too was curious if the scene was ever shot and it was stated that it never was. It survived in the production draft I have that precedes the October 1988 draft that is online.

Quote from: Kamdan on Wed, 25 Nov  2020, 18:08
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Tue, 24 Nov  2020, 17:03
2. Vicki at Photo Shoot. After setting the wheels in motion on discovering Bruce's secret, "Tony" calls Vicki to a photo shoot promising that the client has info on Batman. Mr. Kerr never shows, but Vicki witnesses the deaths Amanda Keeler and Candy Walker via Smilex. Was this shot? Very interested in this one.
I can't remember the source but I too was curious if the scene was ever shot and it was stated that it never was. It survived in the production draft I have that precedes the October 1988 draft that is online.

Dang it. Thanks for clearing that up.

There is more than I remember, wonder if WB lost the reels? the 4k would of been a good chance to include them
https://www.batman-online.com/features/2012/9/11/batman-89s-lost-moments

Quote from: Christian Wolf-La'MoyThe Jokers van was one of those off the cuff ideas that script writers come up with during the shoot. It was actually the White Chevrolet Step Van (seen outside the chem plant) re-spayed purple with the great Joker logo. My brother and I worked as driver and supporting actors along side Jack Nicholson and Tracey Walter in 3 scenes using the Joker's van. But alas all ended up on the cutting room floor.
The presence of the Joker van was very mysterious in the final film where it's all but hidden, but it was indeed part of three stunt-heavy deleted scenes. This implies some sort of chase scene, though the details are vague.

Check out this deleted scene of Knox proposing to Vicki.

:-[
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I have no idea how this was acquired, but here's an alternate take on the scene in Vicki's apartment using Prince's scandalous. There's a couple snippets of Basinger and Keaton that aren't in the final film.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Tue, 21 Nov  2023, 14:29
I have no idea how this was acquired, but here's an alternate take on the scene in Vicki's apartment using Prince's scandalous. There's a couple snippets of Basinger and Keaton that aren't in the final film.

This just might prove once and for all that Prince did an entire score for the movie. This poster hopefully can share more from this workprint. This might be more valuable than the Schumacher cut. Hope Kevin Smith doesn't get his hands on it and tote it around as The Prince Cut.

Thanks for posting that. Always cool to see different footage!

I'm assuming this is some sort of work print of B89 someone obtained, or recently digitized... Using a more instrumental version of Prince's "Scandalous" for this scene, kinda makes me think of Tony Scott's "Top Gun", where a instrumental version of "Take my Breath Away" can be heard during scenes.

For it's time, I think the song could have worked out OK for the most part, but really should have slowly faded out once Bruce was attempting to come clean with Vicki, rather than continue on. At that point, the music becomes distracting, though to be fair, I can see what they were aiming for with the music abruptly ending once the Joker reveals himself. Which is interesting, since in the final cut, it's the opposite. With (romantic) music beginning once Joker enters the scene.

Nicholson's Joker laugh following the, "Miss me?" line seems slightly different as well.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."