1989 Batmania Vids

Started by BatmanFurst, Tue, 7 Jul 2020, 05:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Tue, 4 Aug 2020, 02:00 #1 Last Edit: Mon, 13 Sep 2021, 02:59 by BatmanFurst

Someone posted a high quality version of Prince's Electric Chair performance on SNL.

Here is a news report covering the world premiere.

Randy Quaid warned before seeing the film that he anticipated B89 would be darker than some people expected. And to think some people would argue and say it's campy.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 16 Aug  2020, 11:13
Randy Quaid warned before seeing the film that he anticipated B89 would be darker than some people expected. And to think some people would argue and say it's campy.
I do have a problem with people referring to it as "campy" as well. It's certainly more fantastical, and does have a lot of humor but a lot of that is by design. In regards to the Batman character though, I don't find anything funny/campy about him. When people bring up the word "campy" it almost feels like they're exclusively referring to The Joker. However, what's brilliant about The Joker in this film I that he seems fun and goofy on the surface but everything he does in this film is so sadistic.

This whole thing of it being "campy" came about after Nolan's films. The intention of the 89 film was never to be what Nolan has done with his films. Also, there are moments in Batman Begins & especially The Dark Knight Rises that are silly. With Batman I think that just comes with the territory.

Sun, 16 Aug 2020, 18:51 #5 Last Edit: Mon, 28 Mar 2022, 20:59 by BatmanFurst
I found this awesome mini-doc on the Batmania in a store from Ireland. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to embed the video.
https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/1006/650329-batmania-comes-to-dublin/

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Wed,  6 Jan  2021, 17:40

Bob Hope as the Joker. Now there's something I never thought I'd see.

Walter Koenig appears in this one, and it would have been around the same time that Star Trek V was released. It's interesting to see him appearing here as a fan, since his son Andrew would go on to play the Joker in Sandy Collora's Batman: Dead End (2003).

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed,  6 Jan  2021, 18:48

Bob Hope as the Joker. Now there's something I never thought I'd see.

Walter Koenig appears in this one, and it would have been around the same time that Star Trek V was released. It's interesting to see him appearing here as a fan, since his son Andrew would go on to play the Joker in Sandy Collora's Batman: Dead End (2003).
Yeah that second video is interesting for a couple of reasons. First off I didn't know that Walter Koenig was into comics at all so that was a pleasant surprise. Second, I saw a picture of Golden Apple during the Batmania craze and was always curious as to what the rest of the store looked like. So it's pretty cool to see a video the explores what else was in there.