John Lithgow on turning down Joker role

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 21 Dec 2019, 00:16

Previous topic - Next topic
Last week, John Lithgow was on Conan O'Brien and was asked about the time he convinced Tim Burton to NOT consider him for the Joker role in B89.

He clearly underestimated the appeal, but it's not his fault. It's pretty well documented that these superhero properties were a big gamble back in those days. A far cry from the overabundance of them in the present time.

Still, I can't really see Lithgow playing Joker. Probably the only character I could see him playing would be Rupert Thorne. He had that calm yet cold-blooded demeanor that might be appropriate for an organised crime boss, as he showed while playing the terrorist Eric Qualen in Cliffhanger.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Yeah, I'm glad this didn't happen as well.

Lithgow is a good enough actor, but to me it just sounds like a case of Burton was scoping out #2 and #3 choices for the Joker, in the event Warners couldn't land Nicholson. So I doubt it took much "convincing". Michael Uslan has always been pretty adamant that Jack was always his numero uno choice for the Joker years before the film was even made, and given the deal made to get him, it kinda goes without saying Warners felt the same way.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 21 Dec  2019, 10:32

Yeah, I'm glad this didn't happen as well.

Lithgow is a good enough actor, but to me it just sounds like a case of Burton was scoping out #2 and #3 choices for the Joker, in the event Warners couldn't land Nicholson. So I doubt it took much "convincing". Michael Uslan has always been pretty adamant that Jack was always his numero uno choice for the Joker years before the film was even made, and given the deal made to get him, it kinda goes without saying Warners felt the same way.
Yep. Nicholson was the Marlon Brando of that film. He gave the film a level of cred it wouldn't have had otherwise. Plus, Nicholson's performance has become so iconic that it's pretty much impossible to picture anybody else in the role.

Besides, Lithgow went on to play an amazing villain in the last great season of Dexter so it's not like he never amounted to anything.

Fri, 27 Dec 2019, 00:42 #3 Last Edit: Fri, 27 Dec 2019, 00:45 by Kamdan
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 21 Dec  2019, 00:16
Still, I can't really see Lithgow playing Joker.
Please watch him The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai and Raising Cain. He could have pulled off a fine Joker. He's gotta a good Joker face when he's hauled off in a straight jacket at the end of Twilight Zone: The Movie.

QuoteProbably the only character I could see him playing would be Rupert Thorne.
He's the spitting image of Ventriloquist and Scarface.

Quote from: Kamdan on Fri, 27 Dec  2019, 00:42
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 21 Dec  2019, 00:16
Still, I can't really see Lithgow playing Joker.
Please watch him The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai and Raising Cain. He could have pulled off a fine Joker. He's gotta a good Joker face when he's hauled off in a straight jacket at the end of Twilight Zone: The Movie.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give those a go when I have the chance.

Quote from: Kamdan on Fri, 27 Dec  2019, 00:42
QuoteProbably the only character I could see him playing would be Rupert Thorne.
He's the spitting image of Ventriloquist and Scarface.

Now that you mention it, I can see Lithgow playing Arnold Wesker/Ventriloquist too. But personally, I think Mark Linn-Baker from Perfect Strangers has a stronger resemblance. To me, his exaggerated facial expressions look like a Norm Breyfogle drawing coming to life.  ;D

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Rather than creating another thread, I thought I'd share this link about another actor who regrets turning down B89, the late Ray Liotta.

https://people.com/ray-liotta-once-turned-down-a-meeting-with-tim-burton-about-batman-i-was-stupid-7629489

I read statements online that Liotta was one of the candidates considered to play Joker if Nicholson didn't do the role, but I read he may have been considered for Batman too. Liotta's crazy laughter would've fit Joker so well. I guess he could've fit the Bruce Wayne role too, but that crazy look on his face would've been suited for a villain. Either way, his star power might've grown between Domenick and Eugene and GoodFellas if had starred in B89. But, would the film had been as successful if he had Nicholson's role? Probably not.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 15 Aug  2023, 12:39I guess he could've fit the Bruce Wayne role too, but that crazy look on his face would've been suited for a villain.

I don't know. People have commented on Keaton's eyes being a unique standout trait to his Batman, and I can see Liotta evoking that as well had he been cast in the role.

QuoteEither way, his star power might've grown between Domenick and Eugene and GoodFellas if had starred in B89. But, would the film had been as successful if he had Nicholson's role? Probably not.

Highly unlikely. Sometimes 'perception is reality' and Nicholson's participation really lifted the project up from the get-go. Especially in terms of credibility in the public consciousness at the time. A exclusive attribute that John Lithgow, or Willem Dafoe wouldn't have been able to match.   

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."