Batman Set visit - early 1989

Started by markrjones1970, Fri, 21 Dec 2012, 20:22

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello everybody!! I'm the manager of the fan page "There is only one Batman; Michael Keaton" dedicated to the best Caped Crusader ever been on the screen!! I'd really like to share your pictures on my page, if this is possible!! Let me know if I can :) Thank you!!

These pictures are absolutely out of this world!! I mean, I feel such an envy because you have actually been in Gotham City, the one and only designed by Anton Furst, it's another planet!!! You have been so lucky, and I'd like to have a Time Machine to go back in 1989 and take the tour with you guys!!! Fantastic pictures :D

Of course, if these pics are interesting then by all means use them. Please just credit me as Mark R Jones. We went THREE times in all to the set. I lived in Northampton at the time and Pinewood was 45 min or so drive away. The first time we didn't have a camera so we went back for a second time with one and took the pics you see here. The 3rd time we went back, about a week or so after this, we took another set of photos. I don't know if Conrad (the one with the blond spiky 80s hair) ever had them developed because I never saw them. Shame though because I remember laying in the Jack Nicholson shaped hole in front of the gate of Gotham City Cathedral and having my photo taken. I lost touch with Conrad but there's always a chance there are another set of photos out there.

Thank you very much!! However, I've already seen your video on Youtube, haven't I?? It was like a child dream coming true, I could tangibly feel the emotion running up and down my body!! You also have proved one of the theories that I have always had concerning this movie, the fact that it would have never been the same if it had not been shot in England!! England is a magic country, I've been there twice, and everywhere I turned my eyes I had the feeling of being in Gotham City sometimes!! The sky and the atmosphere is precisely that of the movie!!! I will post the pictures and give you the credit, don't worry!! :)

- This statue of the Joker eventually found its way to NYC. It's on display at Planet Hollywood in time square.

- They also have the Batwing miniature hanging from the ceiling!

D. Hennick

WOW, THAT'S FANTASTIC!!!!! I wanna go to NYC to see the original Batwing!!!!!! :D

Mark R Jones; if you want to take a look at the pictures and eventually join my page, here's the link;

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.507999695899074.115681.296214513744261&type=1

Thanks for letting me use them!!! :D

Sat, 22 Dec 2012, 12:24 #15 Last Edit: Sat, 22 Dec 2012, 12:35 by markrjones1970
The video of the set visit wasn't us. Different people.

What's the story with that Joker statue? Nice to see it survived, obviously it was made for the film then not used, but anyone know why?

I found that video by chance many months ago and then didn't see it again!! I have to look for it!! Concerning the statue, what I guess is that there was a different script among the many options where the Joker might have replaced the monument in Gotham Square!! If you notice, it's in the very same position as the statue in the middle of the square!! Perhaps, during the celebration of Gotham's 200 Anniversary, Joker wanted to take over the city by replacing the statue with his own, but director and producers finally opted for a different evolution of the story!! It's my theory, and I think it's plausible!! :)

I've seen the Batwing and Joker statue in New York too just last year. My family and I were having dinner and the Batwing hung directly above us and I examined it in all it's detail  ;D It hangs more or less next to the Slimer suit used in Ghostbusters II.

These photographs are easily the best post this year. How did they manage to visit the set? Sneak in? lol Or get permission? Plus did they know how major these sets were gonna be as the movie if I'm not mistaken wasn't out yet right?

It shows you the scale of the set also when they stand next to structures and yet how close together everything actually was. I'm especially shocked to see the costume vault from the Batcave seemingly dumped on the street! Did you have any clue what that thing would be at the time??? And then that stone Bat Logo. Is that the one used for the main title sequence?

"These photographs are easily the best post this year."

Fantastic, glad you all like them so much! See, I've had these since 1989! These are all new to you lot! :)

"How did they manage to visit the set? Sneak in? lol Or get permission?"

What happened was this. I worked selling Amiga and ST computers and the games in a computer shop. We won a prize for selling such and such and the prize was a trip down to Pinewood Studios for some charity do. It was in aid of the Variety Club charity and there was a few 'celebs' there including Ernie Wise (of Morecambe and Wise), Colin Baker (who was a DR Who) and Faith Brown (impressionist). After a while it all got a little boring so me and my 2 mates went for a wander to see what else we could see. It was a Saturday or Sunday so there wasn't many people about. Hey ho, we only stumbled upon Gotham City. There was a hole in the fence, no one at all on the set, so we went in and had a good look around. So obviously this was MOMENTOUS. It was amazing, one minute you were in the woods, cross a stream, then a fence, walk through some scaffolding and there we were, Gotham City. It was huge. I'd never been to a film set before (or since) so it was TRULY impressive. The sheer size, scale and look of the place was breath taking.

But, none of us had a camera on us.

So, as soon as we could, we went back, with a camera and took the photos you can see here.  As I said, we went back a 3rd time, took a load more photos, but I never saw them.

"Plus did they know how major these sets were gonna be as the movie if I'm not mistaken wasn't out yet right?"

As we worked in the games industry (and I also had just left working at Ocean Software, so my mates were working on the game itself while I was visiting the set) so we were well aware of all the hype and publicity going on but until I saw the film I had no idea which bits would be in the film or play the biggest parts. Good job we took photos of almost everything. I'm sure I've got photos of parts of the set that aren't even in the film!

"It shows you the scale of the set also when they stand next to structures and yet how close together everything actually was. I'm especially shocked to see the costume vault from the Batcave seemingly dumped on the street! Did you have any clue what that thing would be at the time???"

Nope, no idea. We tried to open it but that rope was tied way too tight! And we didn't want to damage anything. We just thought it was a big safe!

"And then that stone Bat Logo. Is that the one used for the main title sequence?"

I think it is yeah, I've looked at the film intro sequence and compared it what we found and I think it's the same thing. There it is, left out in the street! Haha! It was too heavy to take home though :p

Any know what the 'EROS THEATER' sign has to do with anything? Could it have been an alternate name for the Monarch? Or was there another theater on set?

You win the internet, sir.

And I'm so insanely jealous that I'm beyond words!

Still, the pics are an invaluable time capsule of awesomeness and helps to get a feeling for the design of 89's Gotham City.

As many thanks as I can muster, sir!
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton