Brandon Routh to reprise his role as Superman

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 17:05

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm calling it now. The Smallville universe is going KABOOM in Crisis.

But yes, Hoechlin does look rather puny compared to Welling and -- to a lesser degree -- Routh.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  4 Dec  2019, 00:29
I'm calling it now. The Smallville universe is going KABOOM in Crisis.

Considering what they did to Earth-90 in the previous crossover event, I wouldn't be surprised.

I've always wanted DC to capitalise on their previous live action successes. That's one area where they have a big advantage over Marvel. I just wish it wasn't happening on the CW.

New trailer.

Some are saying the dead Superman at the 20 second mark is Gerard Christopher from the old Superboy TV series, though this has yet to be confirmed.

Is he the big cameo Guggenheim was hinting at? Because I'm still hoping Cain makes an appearance.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  7 Dec  2019, 15:14
New trailer.

Some are saying the dead Superman at the 20 second mark is Gerard Christopher from the old Superboy TV series, though this has yet to be confirmed.

The dead Superman looks like Hoechlin. Or so I thought anyway.

That's what I thought too, but some people are saying its Gerard. It's definitely Hoechlin's costume though. And that looks like Elizabeth Tulloch weeping over him, so it would make more sense for it to be Hoechlin.

Marc Guggenheim has confirmed that he tried to get Nic Cage to appear as Superman:

QuoteYou know, to be honest with you, because I never want to lie on these things, that was ... yeah, I actually did ... we did reach out to Nic Cage.

I'll tell you one thing, we reached out to a lot of people, and there were people who didn't want to do it. There were people who would only do it for amounts of money that we could not ever afford. And there were other people who really wanted to do it, but couldn't for scheduling. That was the case with a lot of, I have to say, the movie stars that we reached out to. The thing about movie stars is, they're all shooting movies. And unless those movies are shooting in Vancouver, we're kind of out of luck.

But I have to say that the sheer number of actors that we did end up getting exceeded my expectation.

He's also teased more unannounced cameos that will surprise viewers.

QuoteYeah, I like how there are at least six characters who appear in the first three hours that we haven't announced. And I'm working on even more for the last two hours. So we've obviously announced a bunch, but I really want the audience to be able to tune in and still be surprised. So there are surprises of sorts that we've managed to keep secret, and not without great difficulty, I will tell you.
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/marc-guggenheim-interview-crisis-on-infinite-earths-arrow-cw-1202194754/

Right now, there are only two plausible guest stars I want to see involved. And their characters had better be treated respectfully and not killed off for cheap drama.

Dean's my favorite Superman, but I don't think his L&C revival will get off the ground. I believe he has been been ignored by the studio for other reasons. Think about it - if Dean and Terri were going to come back, why would we be hearing about a Lois & Clark style show with Hoechlin? If that project comes to fruition, the new guy will already fill that void. Which perhaps isn't a bad thing. It could remain pure. Dean's show gets its fair share of criticism from fans from what I know (I don't follow the Superman culture wars heavily), but it doesn't change the fact it was successful back in the day.

Why is there a cape in the background if the dead Superman is still wearing it?

It appears they made a continuity mistake.Very amateurish.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Do we know for sure that the big mystery cameo that hasn't been revealed yet actually relates to Superman?

There are other possibilities. O'Donnell, Kilmer, Keaton, Pfieffer, etc.

But if it relates to Superman, and considering that Conroy is appearing, what about Tim Daly?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  7 Dec  2019, 21:37Dean's my favorite Superman, but I don't think his L&C revival will get off the ground. I believe he has been been ignored by the studio for other reasons. Think about it - if Dean and Terri were going to come back, why would we be hearing about a Lois & Clark style show with Hoechlin? If that project comes to fruition, the new guy will already fill that void.

The creation of the new Superman & Lois series almost feels like deliberate spite towards Cain and Hatcher's attempts at reviving L&C. L&C was averaging over 15 million viewers per episode during its heyday. It had a degree of mainstream popularity that CW shows can only dream of. Even non-comic fans enjoyed L&C, and I'm sure many of them would return to catch up with those beloved characters if the show came back in some form.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  8 Dec  2019, 16:15But if it relates to Superman, and considering that Conroy is appearing, what about Tim Daly?

I never thought of Daly, but he sounds like a plausible cameo.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 21 Nov  2019, 11:17From what I gather, it sounds like most of the guest appearances in this special will be brief cameos at best. Eyewitnesses have described some of the actors looking up at the sky and reacting to something. So with Burt Ward, it'll probably just be him walking his dog...

...then turning to look up at whatever's in the sky and saying "Holy something-or-other."

Similarly, the Burton thing will likely just be Knox sitting on a bench reading that newspaper article about Bruce marrying Selina, then glancing up at the sky for his reaction shot. We might get a CG rendition of Burton's Gotham and a few notes from the Elfman score, but I doubt it'll be anything more than that.

Called it.

The only thing I got wrong was the newspaper headline.

Tom Welling. No spoilers here.

Except to say that if that's where things were always going, not only do I wish that the Smallville universe did go kaboom, part of me wishes it'd never existed in the first place.