Brandon Routh to reprise his role as Superman

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 17:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Brandon Routh is returning as Superman for a CW crossover:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/tyler-hoechlin-brandon-routh-superman-arrowverse-crossover-the-cw-1202649053/

Does this mean the door's open for Dean Cain to return as well? If so, let's hope they both get treated better than John Wesley Shipp's Flash.

CW shows are pure trash IMO, but I am intrigued to see Routh reprise his role after 13 years.

Blandon is pretending to be Superman again, yay.

FML

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 19 Jul  2019, 21:10
Blandon is pretending to be Superman again, yay.

FML

I think Routh is a good actor - for TV only. I liked his portrayal as Ray Palmer/Atom much better than his role as Superman. But moviewise, he isn't up to standard.

With that all said, this news to me reflects the state of affairs of how broken Warner/DC is as a brand right now. Among all the horrible decisions they've made over the last couple of years in movies and TV, one of the biggest issues is they continue to pander to nostalgia when it comes to Superman. I only watched Tyler Hoechlin's Superman in his first appearance on Supergirl, and I kept getting the impression they were trying too hard to make him a Reeve caricature, as a way to appease the Cavill detractors. Worse, it really feels like the CW is trying desperately hard to rewrite the narrative that Routh's Superman was a popular interpretation, despite the fact SR resulted in a seven year movie hiatus and was the reason why we got Cavill and Snyder in the first place.

I used to watch all the Arrowverse shows for the first three seasons, but I stopped in 2016. Time took its toll, and I won't lie, I was getting tired of the freak of the weak formula. If it's true all of the shows' quality have descended into Arrow Season 3 garbage, I'm disappointed but perhaps not that surprised. Judging by the quality of the acting and FX in this clip from the Elseworlds crossover, I think I made the right decision.

By the way, I heard a rumour that Hoechlin might portray the Kingdom Come Superman in the next crossover. If he acts as bad as that scene I shared, God help us. I can't believe John Ostrander believes Hoechlin is a better actor than Cavill.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 19 Jul  2019, 17:05
Brandon Routh is returning as Superman for a CW crossover:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/tyler-hoechlin-brandon-routh-superman-arrowverse-crossover-the-cw-1202649053/

Does this mean the door's open for Dean Cain to return as well? If so, let's hope they both get treated better than John Wesley Shipp's Flash.
I don't rate Routh or the film he appears in, so I'm not treating this as a glorious homecoming. It's more about trying to integrate a one-and-done footnote into the greater franchise. I don't have any confidence in the CW universe, nor do I watch any of it. As for Cain, I'd rather he try and get another L&C season off the ground with Terri Hatcher.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 19 Jul  2019, 23:53
By the way, I heard a rumour that Hoechlin might portray the Kingdom Come Superman in the next crossover.

Now I'm hearing Routh is the one who will play the KC Superman. Either way, I don't have any confidence the CW will do it any justice. The fact that Routh is playing Superman again and Cavill likely won't is disheartening.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It's been confirmed Routh will be wearing the costume of the Kingdom Come Superman. Apparently the Superman Returns suit was off limits for some reason. Didn't they already use it in the final season of Smallville? Regardless, here's the big reveal.

It's still unclear whether this is the same Superman he portrayed in 2006 wearing a new suit, or a completely different iteration based on Waid's version. I'm hoping the former, because at 39 years of age Routh is far too young to be playing the Kingdome Come Superman. If anything, Dean Cain should be playing that version. Cain's in his early fifties, but he's in excellent shape and would fill out the suit better than Routh.

Then again this crossover will most likely be as bad as the earlier ones, so maybe he's better off out of it.

Regarding Routh, I'm not sure how much of his blandness in the 2006 film was down to his limitations as an actor or the limitations Singer imposed on him. Brandon never really got to create his own Superman, but was instead cast as the reflection of the shadow of the ghost of the Christopher Reeve Superman. It's rather like being asked to transcribe a poem that somebody else has already written, just because your handwriting vaguely resembles theirs. This time they might let him put his own spin on things, and that's what I'm intrigued to see. I genuinely don't know how good an actor Routh is. I think I've only seen him in a couple of things other than Superman, and neither of them was very memorable. But I'm interested to see him get another shot at playing Superman.

Speaking of old DC actors returning to the fold, it's also been announced that Burt Ward will be appearing in the crossover event: https://io9.gizmodo.com/holy-cavalcade-of-cameos-batman-burt-ward-joins-cws-c-1836562094

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 20 Jul  2019, 03:40I don't have any confidence in the CW universe, nor do I watch any of it.

You're not missing much.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 20 Jul  2019, 03:40As for Cain, I'd rather he try and get another L&C season off the ground with Terri Hatcher.

I'm currently re-watching Lois & Clark for the umpteenth time (I love that show) and am now nearing the end of season 3. Not long ago I posted on this site that I'd love to see a revival of the series, but now I'm not so sure. They'd most likely do it as a CW show and the quality wouldn't compare with the original series. It would have been difficult enough doing a reunion without Lane Smith, but since Eddie Jones also passed away earlier this month I think the ship has probably sailed. L&C was the product of a more innocent age. The only other comic book adaptations I can think of with a comparable level of charm are the sixties Batman, Superman: The Movie and Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. I don't think they could recapture it now.

But I would like to see Cain return to the role. Maybe in a live action Kingdom Come movie. Or failing that, he could voice him in an animated film.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun, 21 Jul  2019, 17:29
Regarding Routh, I'm not sure how much of his blandness in the 2006 film was down to his limitations as an actor or the limitations Singer imposed on him. Brandon never really got to create his own Superman, but was instead cast as the reflection of the shadow of the ghost of the Christopher Reeve Superman. It's rather like being asked to transcribe a poem that somebody else has already written, just because your handwriting vaguely resembles theirs. This time they might let him put his own spin on things, and that's what I'm intrigued to see. I genuinely don't know how good an actor Routh is. I think I've only seen him in a couple of things other than Superman, and neither of them was very memorable. But I'm interested to see him get another shot at playing Superman.

I kinda lend towards Routh's blandness being a combination of both his limited abilities, and the gig he was offered to portray Superman. I agree that other roles he has been seen in haven't been especially stellar. I remember Routh played another comic based character, Dylan Dog or something. A few years or so following Superman Returns. Don't think the film did anything for Routh's career. He's been playing the Atom on CW, and from what I've seen, I guess he's atleast adequate. Truthfully, I kinda lump an actor like Brandon Routh with an actor like Chris Evans, in that both have had continued recognition from hollywood, based in large part to films/tv based on comic book properties. 

QuoteSpeaking of old DC actors returning to the fold, it's also been announced that Burt Ward will be appearing in the crossover event: https://io9.gizmodo.com/holy-cavalcade-of-cameos-batman-burt-ward-joins-cws-c-1836562094

That's cool.

QuoteI'm currently re-watching Lois & Clark for the umpteenth time (I love that show) and am now nearing the end of season 3. Not long ago I posted on this site that I'd love to see a revival of the series, but now I'm not so sure. They'd most likely do it as a CW show and the quality wouldn't compare with the original series. It would have been difficult enough doing a reunion without Lane Smith, but since Eddie Jones also passed away earlier this month I think the ship has probably sailed. L&C was the product of a more innocent age. The only other comic book adaptations I can think of with a comparable level of charm are the sixties Batman, Superman: The Movie and Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. I don't think they could recapture it now.

But I would like to see Cain return to the role. Maybe in a live action Kingdom Come movie. Or failing that, he could voice him in an animated film.

I think Cain has been floating the idea of going a route like the current Superman in DC comics where's he's been married to Lois for years, and also has a son who's now Superboy. Could be an interesting show, which would reflect the Superman comics as they stand right now, but I also agree that the notion the show would remain as charming and innocent as the 1990's L&C is slim to none. Even though I would love to believe otherwise.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

My objection to Dean Cain playing a sort of Kingdom Come type of Superman... well, maybe it's missing the point. But the Kingdom Come Superman was definitely affected by Lois Lane's death. That's a major issue for the character.

For a Dean Cain Superman to lose Lois... I mean, I just have problems with that. Maybe I'm being a bit too literal with the Kingdom Come connection but L&C was about how Lois and Clark were Superman. Long before the CW Flash show cribbed that idea for Barry and Iris, Superman was really made up for Lois and Clark.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. But if I see Dean Cain play Superman again, ideally I want it to be something akin to Lois & Clark "season 05".

To get back on topic though, I'll never be okay with Blandon playing Superman. Some wounds just go too deep, I suppose. But I just don't have any desire.

Still, if anybody has to take the bullet of playing Kingdom Come Superman... maybe it makes sense that it be Blandon rather than Cavill, Welling, Cain or any the other possibilities for whom I do a genuine affection.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 23 Jul  2019, 00:33
Maybe I'm overthinking it. But if I see Dean Cain play Superman again, ideally I want it to be something akin to Lois & Clark "season 05".
That would be ideal. I do agree with Silver in the sense L&C is a product of its time, and has a feelgood cheesy vibe that is nigh impossible to replicate now. But...I'm willing to put that aside for the chance of seeing Dean and Terri back together. Actors from the show have passed away, but I think they just need those two. The rest is gravy. Dean embodied a cool, laidback good guy vibe that has been missing from the character in recent times, as much as I appreciate what Cavill brought to the table. Cain and L&C kinda reminds me of a live action version of STAS.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 23 Jul  2019, 00:33
To get back on topic though, I'll never be okay with Blandon playing Superman. Some wounds just go too deep, I suppose. But I just don't have any desire.
I know what you mean. The Superman Returns project comes with baggage (ignoring Reeve canon), and I don't think Routh ever had stage presence. The costume they gave him didn't help either.

Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 19:34 #9 Last Edit: Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 19:36 by Silver Nemesis
Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 22 Jul  2019, 23:56
I think Cain has been floating the idea of going a route like the current Superman in DC comics where's he's been married to Lois for years, and also has a son who's now Superboy. Could be an interesting show, which would reflect the Superman comics as they stand right now, but I also agree that the notion the show would remain as charming and innocent as the 1990's L&C is slim to none. Even though I would love to believe otherwise.

Cain serving as producer would help. He's got numerous producer credits on his IMDb page, and he wrote two episodes of the original series, including the classic 'Season's Greedings' featuring Toyman. Maybe if Cain co-wrote and produced the revival, he could make sure it remained apolitical and didn't stray too far from what the fans want. They'd have to keep Greg Berlanti as far away from it as possible and make sure it wasn't on the CW. But if they could do that, it might just work.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 23 Jul  2019, 00:33For a Dean Cain Superman to lose Lois... I mean, I just have problems with that. Maybe I'm being a bit too literal with the Kingdom Come connection but L&C was about how Lois and Clark were Superman. Long before the CW Flash show cribbed that idea for Barry and Iris, Superman was really made up for Lois and Clark.

I wouldn't want to see the Lois & Clark Superman turn into the Kingdom Come version either. Cain's Clark and Hatcher's Lois have always been defined in relationship to one another, and I prefer the idea of them living happily ever after. When I say I'd like to see Cain play the KC Superman, I was thinking more in terms of him portraying a Superman from another universe. Similar to how the Batman West played in Super Friends was different from the version he played in the sixties TV show.

But I certainly wouldn't want to see the L&C Superman lose his wife. I'd much rather see them as a strong married couple dealing with the challenges presented by parenthood and middle age.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 23 Jul  2019, 10:24Cain and L&C kinda reminds me of a live action version of STAS.p

It's amazing to think that L&C and S:TAS were both airing in 1996 and 1997. We had two classic Superman shows on TV at the same time. Then in the comics we had the Doomsday saga, The Return of Superman, The Trial of Superman, Kingdom Come and Grant Morrison's early JLA comics. There may not have been any Superman movies in the nineties (unless you count Steel and Superman Lives), but it was still a good decade to be a Superman fan. It was a good decade to be a Batman fan too, and a DC fan in general.