Release the Ayer Cut?

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 23 May 2020, 07:48

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 29 Jul  2020, 16:56Ayo hol up

Let me get this straight. Fans are championing the director's original vision, they want an artist to be able to tell the story the way they intended... and that makes them "toxic"? Really? That's where we are now?

I mean, there's stupid and then there's calling those fans "toxic". So retarded.
I may not agree entirely, but these are just movies.

This Leto Joker clip was originally uploaded on David Ayer's Instagram stories.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Days after the ever atrocious Ann Sarnoff said WB wouldn't release the Ayer cut during that despicable interview with Variety, David Ayer spoke about how Warner executives were too scared to release his cut and wanted to jump on the "colourful" and "fun" bandwagon at the time (and still do).

Quote from: David Ayer
I think the studios see now that there can be canon, there can be non-canon, the fans just want to touch it. They love the characters, they just want to spend more time with it. And people are way more sophisticated about how movies are made and want to be participants in the journey. There's room for different things, different versions, different assets being shared with the audience. I think it just helps strengthen the community. But absolute credit to Warner Bros. for supporting Zack and having the courage to explore that.

I get it, it's a business. It's frustrating because I made a really heartfelt drama and it got ripped to pieces and they tried to turn it into Deadpool, which it just wasn't supposed to be. And then you take the hit, you're the captain of the ship, my name was on it. [Laughs] Even though it didn't represent what I actually made, I would take all the bullets and be a good soldier. I made an amazing movie. It's an amazing movie, it just scared the sh*t out of the executives.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210330172748/https://theplaylist.net/david-ayer-cut-scared-wb-suicide-squad-20210330/

I noticed more people were far more positive towards Leto's performance in ZSJL, along with the rest of the film. I've no doubt the Ayer cut would help his stature even further.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  5 Apr  2021, 11:38
Days after the ever atrocious Ann Sarnoff said WB wouldn't release the Ayer cut during that despicable interview with Variety, David Ayer spoke about how Warner executives were too scared to release his cut and wanted to jump on the "colourful" and "fun" bandwagon at the time (and still do).

Quote from: David Ayer
I think the studios see now that there can be canon, there can be non-canon, the fans just want to touch it. They love the characters, they just want to spend more time with it. And people are way more sophisticated about how movies are made and want to be participants in the journey. There's room for different things, different versions, different assets being shared with the audience. I think it just helps strengthen the community. But absolute credit to Warner Bros. for supporting Zack and having the courage to explore that.

I get it, it's a business. It's frustrating because I made a really heartfelt drama and it got ripped to pieces and they tried to turn it into Deadpool, which it just wasn't supposed to be. And then you take the hit, you're the captain of the ship, my name was on it. [Laughs] Even though it didn't represent what I actually made, I would take all the bullets and be a good soldier. I made an amazing movie. It's an amazing movie, it just scared the sh*t out of the executives.
It ain't over yet. Just saying.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  5 Apr  2021, 11:38I noticed more people were far more positive towards Leto's performance in ZSJL, along with the rest of the film. I've no doubt the Ayer cut would help his stature even further.
I feel basically the same way. Ledger still loomed large for most people when Ayer's Suicide Squad came out. I think the Ayer cut would be interesting to a lot of people now.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  5 Apr  2021, 11:46
Ledger still loomed large for most people when Ayer's Suicide Squad came out. I think the Ayer cut would be interesting to a lot of people now.
Leto's appearance in ZSJL puts all doubts to bed for me. He's a very good Joker and doesn't deserve the reputation the studio gave him. I'm absolutely certain a force of nature performance is contained in the Ayer cut.

David Ayer wrote an emotional response to some dickhead critic who ridiculed the campaign to release the original cut of Suicide Squad.

https://www.twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1420826069939023882

I don't agree with Ayer showing his support for that creep James Gunn. Gunn has madesome rather backhanded comments about Ayer's struggles with the studio over SS, and he even liked tweets that have mocked SS and Ayer.

But I am glad that has openly disowned the studio cut. I'm happy to hear that Wesley Strick helped him get into writing screenplays too.

While showing his support for David Ayer, Jay Hernandez took the opportunity to express his distaste for Diablo getting killed off in Studio Squad.

On a personal note. When the powers that be decided to "sacrifice" Diablo I thought, "Yeah, I get it. There's obviously way too many Latino superheroes in these tent pole movies." Needless to say, I was not happy. They love to take our money at the box office though.

https://www.twitter.com/jay_hernandez/status/1420892306702438403

I must admit, I never had a problem with Diablo dying. But I get Hernandez's frustrations.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 30 Jul  2021, 02:43
While showing his support for David Ayer, Jay Hernandez took the opportunity to express his distaste for Diablo getting killed off in Studio Squad.

On a personal note. When the powers that be decided to "sacrifice" Diablo I thought, "Yeah, I get it. There's obviously way too many Latino superheroes in these tent pole movies." Needless to say, I was not happy. They love to take our money at the box office though.

https://www.twitter.com/jay_hernandez/status/1420892306702438403

I must admit, I never had a problem with Diablo dying. But I get Hernandez's frustrations.
Um, well, hmm.

Standard disclaimer: I rly resent when people toss accusations of racism everywhere. It's never helpful or beneficial to make snap judgments like that.

Having said that... I mean, the Whedon JL has, uh, raised a few legit questions as to racial biases of the non-Snyder personnel calling the shots with the hacked up movie. The idea of sacrificing a poc character who was originally supposed to survive the movie raises even more questions. At least, for me, idk about anyone else.

And look, I don't like this any more than anybody else. I also still believe that 99% of "racist" incidents rly aren't motivated by racism at all. But this is starting to look bad. I'm trying to give all parties involved the benefit of the doubt. But the problem is that they keep proving that they don't deserve it. What else am I supposed to think here?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 30 Jul  2021, 04:06
And look, I don't like this any more than anybody else. I also still believe that 99% of "racist" incidents rly aren't motivated by racism at all. But this is starting to look bad. I'm trying to give all parties involved the benefit of the doubt. But the problem is that they keep proving that they don't deserve it. What else am I supposed to think here?
Ledger's Joker kills a lot of black Americans in TDK. Was that racism? I don't think Nolan and company sat around the boardroom and spoke about targeting a specific race out of hate. It's just how things turned out. Cyborg had his role cut down in the theatrical JL. Was that racism? If a two hour runtime is mandated there are going to be victims. I wouldn't rule anything out with Whedon, who has several complaints about his on set conduct. Though I'm inclined to believe a personal grudge would be his strongest motivator, as indicated by comments Gal Gadot made about him.

Good letter by Ayer, though. The DCEU became what it became. But I value the origins of the timeline. If I had those five films it would be a very nice set with a consistent story and tone.

Man of Steel is great.
BvS: UE is great.
WW is great.
We now have ZSJL, which is great.
The missing link is the Ayer cut, and I'm sure it would be great.