Suicide Squad - Extended Cut

Started by The Joker, Wed, 5 Oct 2016, 17:34

Previous topic - Next topic
Awesome sauce. An extended Harley torture scene, more tuxedo Joker and as we know, Harley pointing the gun at Joker's head. That content alone is going to be an added improvement.

Sun, 4 Dec 2016, 11:31 #11 Last Edit: Mon, 5 Dec 2016, 13:17 by The Laughing Fish
I watched the Extended Cut today, which was released digitally on last month.

All I say is you might want to lower your expectations. The extended footage didn't really add anything radically important to the story, as the Ultimate Edition did for BvS. For me, I thought the film was still rather average. Oh well, it's no big deal. You'll always get the odd black sheep in a cinematic universe.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I've seen it too. It's not a revelation like the BvS UC. It's just what it says on the tin. An extended cut of what we already have. The studio clearly stuck to a redefined version of their original intent. Case in point, the scene with Harley on the...Harley has Joker at gunpoint but they edit out his slap. But for what it is...I warmed to the product. The biggest shame though is the omission of the Joker scene where he throws the grenade to cover his escape. But that's history. It's rather a fun movie to watch when you leave the what ifs at the door. It does something new other than what Assault on Arkham presented. And I can at least admire that.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  5 Dec  2016, 12:25
I've seen it too. It's not a revelation like the BvS UC. It's just what it says on the tin. An extended cut of what we already have. The studio clearly stuck to a redefined version of their original intent. Case in point, the scene with Harley on the...Harley has Joker at gunpoint but they edit out his slap.

I wouldn't be surprised if WB decided to downplay Joker's abuse towards Harley Quinn to avoid accusations of misogyny. Considering feminists were up in arms over that Killing Joke-homage front cover this year, I've no doubt the studio wanted to avoid such unwanted attention.

As for the final product being the studio's original intent? As time goes by, I'm having a hard time believing that. Why would Jared Leto commit himself so heavily and the film crew hyping up his performance if it turned out his role wasn't going to be that prominent after all? I hate to say, but I now believe there was truth behind the rumours that the reshoots were done to inject humour into this film, following the (frankly hypocritical) criticism over BvS's serious tone. David Ayer can say whatever he likes, but I've no doubt the complaints over how serious and "depressing" BvS was influenced how Suicide Squad would be released.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I said a redefined version of their original intent. Of course the reshoot changed things. The logo on the trailers got brighter and brighter to the point it became blinding neon.

Ah, ok. Sorry I misunderstood.  :-[

Shame we'll likely never get to see the final product of their intended vision for this film. No point in complaining about it though, it's time to move forward.

Basically. It's okay, but not the full potential the concept could've and should've been. It's not without merit though. I think Waller, Harley and Deadshot justify a watch every now and then. But indeed, onwards and upwards.