Batman’s Fate (SPOILERS)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 16 Jun 2023, 22:45

Previous topic - Next topic
So what did everyone think about Keaton's fate at the end of the movie? Obviously the whole multiverse situation means he could still be alive, and could still return in future films. But if this was his final appearance, how would you feel about it?

I thought it was a great way for him to go out – literally fighting to the death against a much more powerful adversary. Nolan teased Batman's demise in TDKR, but ultimately balked at the idea. I know some fans think Batman did die in that movie, and that Alfred was imagining Bruce's appearance at the end, but Baleman's fate is ambiguous at best.

In The Flash, Keaton's Batman is definitely dead. There's ambiguity surrounding his ongoing existence in the multiverse, but we definitely see him die during the final battle in that particular universe. And he goes out like a man.

Had his first death been final – the one where he crashes the Batwing into Zod's ship kamikaze-style and fails to make a dent – then I would have been angry. That would've been a terrible way for him to throw away his life.

But his second death, following a final one-on-one fight against Nam-Ek, was awesome. Keaton's Batman must've had balls of concrete to take on someone that powerful. Even Cavill's Superman struggled against Nam-Ek in Man of Steel, and yet Keaton was able to floor him, dodging his attacks and strategically tagging him with bombs until he wore him down. It doesn't get more badass than that.

This death also echoes two precedents from the comics. Firstly the death of the original Earth-Two Batman, who also came out of retirement in his sixties for one final battle before being killed by the superpowered criminal Bill Jensen. And secondly The Dark Knight Returns Batman, whose final battle (ignoring the terrible sequels) was also a one-on-one bout against a Kryptonian. Only Superman was holding back against the TDKR Batman, whereas Nam-Ek wasn't pulling his punches against Keaton, and Keaton's Batman didn't have the advantage of kryptonite that the TDKR Batman had.

Both the TDKR and Keaton Batmen take on a Kryptonian in single combat as their final challenge, and both manage to floor their opponent and gain the upper hand on him before collapsing from their injuries. In the case of the TDKR Batman, his heart attack was induced by a drug he'd taken to fake his own death, but the parallel still stands. I thought it was a suitably heroic way for Keaton to die.

I still want to see him return for a standalone Batman Beyond movie, but if The Flash is his final appearance then I'm satisfied with the heroic way he made his exit. It was certainly a lot more dignified than what happened to Han Solo or Luke Skywalker.

Sat, 17 Jun 2023, 00:37 #1 Last Edit: Sat, 17 Jun 2023, 00:56 by The Dark Knight
I was starting to do a review/analysis but decided to just post what I had here.

One Last Dance In the Pale Moonlight

The tagline for The Flash (2023) is World's Collide. That statement explains the situation the audience finds themselves in after Barry Allen prevents his mother's death and father's incarceration by travelling back in time. A visual explanation is provided with cinematic universes being depicted as floating orbs. Because of Barry's interference, these orbs begin to merge with one another and create distorted timelines.

The majority of the film takes places in a blend of Tim Burton's Batman universe and Zack Snyder's Man of Steel, but the amalgamation is not clean. Superman was killed as a baby after his escape pod was shot down and Wonder Woman, Cyborg and Aquaman do not exist. Barry Allen does, but he is without superpowers, loud and obnoxious. Subtle details are off from where they should be, such as Michael J Fox not being the lead actor in the Back to the Future movies. Despite the lack of a Justice League, Bruce Wayne and Batman are both known quantities. This revelation leads two Barry Allens to visit him at Wayne Manor.

When we first meet him, this version of Keaton's Bruce resembles The Dude from The Big Lebowski, long haired and wearing flip flops. He has not been Batman for a sustained period of time due to Gotham being one of the safest cities in the world. How exactly that came to pass is unexplained. But what we do know is that without Batman in his life Bruce loses his purpose and lets himself go. This is consistent across all incarnations of the character, more recently shown in 2012's The Dark Knight Rises which depicted Bruce as a bearded recluse living in a crime free Gotham City.

This Keaton Bruce lives in a world where metahumans have not yet revealed themselves. It seems apparent up until the events of The Flash, Batman was the only hero the wider public knew. It's the arrival of General Zod, as in Man of Steel, that awakens the world to the existence of aliens and other superheroes. Even in his aimless state, Keaton's Bruce is knowledgeable enough to decipher the concepts of time and the multiverse, even if he is reluctant to help at this stage in the plot. Alfred has since died, and while Bruce seems capable of looking after himself, his cooking and cleanliness does not compare to that of his former British gentleman.

Much like his 1989 self, Bruce uses surveillance to observe the two Barry Allens who manage to enter his batcave. Bruce's inner hero is soon awakened as he accesses a hidden suit vault via eye scan. This is done by opening an old portrait of his parents, which touches upon his origins as both Burton movies did. Keaton also gets to openly speak about the childhood trauma that shaped his life, giving this portrayal a degree of depth other than just being an avatar for action. As a contrast, Affleck's Bruce is firmly against changing the past. Keaton, however, can see the appeal even if he doesn't endorse or condemn it.

Once again back in the suit, Batman helps out in the field but his individuality remains. In Russia to rescue who they believe is Superman, Batman and the Barrys arrive at the location via the batwing. After holding him close during a grapnel ascent, Batman drops Barry to the ground hard as soon as possible and and walks away stealthily, disappearing into the night. When he reaches the storage facility and discovers it is not Superman, Batman coldly states they should leave the base and the individual behind out of a haste of escape.

The action sequence depicts Batman as a quick thinking escape artist whose mind is his greatest weapon. Despite his prowess he is very much human and will avoid combat wherever possible. Not one to walk through machine gun fire like a Terminator, he instead opts to raise his bulletproof cape to protect himself and others, throw a smoke grenade and get moving. He is also shown to use digital binoculars, batarangs, a device evoking the cryptographic sequencer from the Arkham video games, a flashlight, a flame gun built into his wrist, miniature magnetic explosives and of course the upgraded Batwing - making an impressive showcase for what is a guest appearance.

Upon returning to Wayne Manor, Bruce observes himself in a mirror and his self satisfaction at being in the suit again is evident. He is spiritually alive once more. The proud theatricality of Batman is on display when Bruce attempts to restore a Barry Allen's powers through the use of a bat themed kite and electricity. There are a number of verbal callbacks to Batman (1989) which give the sense this is a victory lap, greatest hits type celebration before what could be the final curtain call. These quotes include "Yeah. I'm Batman," "How much do you weigh?" and "Wanna get nuts. Let's get nuts."

The latter comment brings Batman back into the seat of the batwing, flying to the sight of General Zod and his Kryptonians attempting to terraform the Earth. In this sequence we get to see the skill of Batman as a pilot, in one particular sequence using his favored grappling lines to destroy two alien ships. Upon being hit and unable to eject, Batman decides to go out with a bang and control his crash into the mothership. This however, is in vain due to heavy shielding. Distraught at this, Barry reverses time to before this point, warning Batman against such an action.

He instead targets Nam-Ek, who leaps onto the Batwing and causes its eventual destruction. Batman manages to leave the cockpit in time, leading to a battle on the desert plains. For a regular human, Batman fights admirably with the assistance of explosives, and manages to temporarily subdue his opponent before collapsing to the ground. The visual of the bloodied Batman, wounded but defiant, is a strong one and allows him to go out with dignity. His final words to Barry are also fitting and allow a clear character arc and sense of closure. No matter what happens he was already brought back into action and for that he is content.

The new timeline Barry created was doomed, and unlike the events during Man of Steel, Zod and the Kryptonians were going to win the final battle no matter what and kill everyone on the planet through terraforming. The only solution was Barry going back in time and accepting his mother's true fate, putting things back to how they mostly should be. Keaton may have died in that timeline, but Barry deleted it. General Zod's war never played out like that and Keaton was not pulled in to that world to begin with. Yes it happened, and then it didn't. Just as Barry's mother was still alive in the past, Keaton would be as well.

The film's message is that any change, no matter how minor, changes the fabric of reality. The true reality is Barry even has to accept the injustice of his innocent father having to stay locked up in jail and thought of as a murderer. Otherwise it seems Ben Affleck's Batman will remain replaced by George Clooney.

If this was the final dance for Michael Keaton, The Flash served as a snapshot of what people loved about him. It was a true free hit that could serve as an ending while not ruling out future appearances.

I was so worried Keaton would be treated as a joke, but I liked how they handled his death. I liked what he said to Barry right at the end. I have no complaints there. It was a nice send off, and I think the movie in no way took a dump (thankfully) on what Keaton and Burton had already established with their version of Batman.

What's interesting is that they clearly shot that scene at the end with Keaton first (on the courthouse steps) and then later scrapped it. I don't know if that was just a fun gag or what to include Clooney. I think Keaton probably will not appear as Batman again, so the filmmakers thought, well let's have fun with the ending now. The insinuation behind Clooney appearing made me think they're going to use him again in the future, but with the Gunn reboot I suspect this is the end for this version of the Flash.

Quote from: KeatonisBatman on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 00:39I was so worried Keaton would be treated as a joke, but I liked how they handled his death. I liked what he said to Barry right at the end. I have no complaints there.
I think it's important to note that these are just the two deaths we see. There isn't one true death for him due to the constant cycles, but perhaps hundreds, thousands or even millions depending on how long Dark Flash was running around. Going way back, well before the events of the desert battle, allows Keaton to remain alive IMO. Going back just before their deaths in the Zod battle, to allow Barry's mother to remain alive in that universe, is what caused the problems.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 01:00I think it's important to note that these are just the two deaths we see. There isn't one true death for him due to the constant cycles, but perhaps hundreds, thousands or even millions depending on how long Dark Flash was running around.

Yeah, I took it kinda like how the did with Avengers Endgame... that there must've been one outcome at least maybe where Batman died and Kara didn't, or vice versa. In any case, I would've liked the Clooney cameo to have been replaced with Keaton. I think a more hopeful ending for his Batman would've been a better capper to the film, insinuating that Barry had arrived in a timeline where they did defeat Zod after all.

Quote from: KeatonisBatman on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 02:54In any case, I would've liked the Clooney cameo to have been replaced with Keaton. I think a more hopeful ending for his Batman would've been a better capper to the film, insinuating that Barry had arrived in a timeline where they did defeat Zod after all.
While I wouldn't say no to having Keaton and Supergirl at the end, I don't really mind Clooney being there in the sense it shows that any change from what actually happened has a consequence. There isn't a clean escape to Barry's problems just because time travel is possible.

I am more or less content with his second death as opposed to the first scenario. Even in the face of certain death, he takes it to Nam-Ek with everything he's got, and manages, against all odds, to (at least temporarily) take the rogue kryptonian down before slowly succumbing to his mortal wounds. His departing words to Barry were earnestly profound, and honestly pulled at the heart strings. At least, it did mine.

+1 on a Batman Beyond movie with Keaton. Oh hell yes. I don't know how likely that is right now with the box office, but I would wholeheartedly welcome that scenario with open arms. Especially so if it's under a more conventional Burtony timeline and aesthetic. If not, and this truly is the end of the road I agree he got a much better, and ultimately more satisfying send off than what Han Solo, and especially Luke Skywalker did. Though, to be perfectly honest, I would preferred the now-deleted ending where another alt-Batkeats, and alt-Supergirl are shown alive and well. As opposed to the ending with Clooney that we got.

As a side note, during the recharge attempt scene with the older Barry at the Batcave, seeing Keaton wearing the safety gloves to protect himself from electrocution, just made me think of Lewis Wilson's Batman from 1943 (luckily assuming they were there for a reason before flipping the switch to restore Linda Page from her zombie like state). As gloves were something you absolutely had to wear when operating Dr. Daka's 'Electrical Brain' machine.

The movie had a number of call backs, yeah, but I doubt that was intentionally one of them. :D   

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: KeatonisBatman on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 02:54In any case, I would've liked the Clooney cameo to have been replaced with Keaton. I think a more hopeful ending for his Batman would've been a better capper to the film, insinuating that Barry had arrived in a timeline where they did defeat Zod after all.
Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 08:00Though, to be perfectly honest, I would preferred the now-deleted ending where another alt-Batkeats, and alt-Supergirl are shown alive and well. As opposed to the ending with Clooney that we got.

Hopefully they'll include that alternate ending on the DVD. I think this is going to be a Batman Forever situation where the fan edits are superior to the theatrical cut.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 03:55While I wouldn't say no to having Keaton and Supergirl at the end, I don't really mind Clooney being there in the sense it shows that any change from what actually happened has a consequence. There isn't a clean escape to Barry's problems just because time travel is possible.

One interpretation of Clooney's appearance is that it could signify the Burton and Schumacher universes merging. So maybe the original timeline went B89 – BR – The Flash, with the young Keaton growing into the older Keaton. Then after the Flash resets things we get a new timeline that goes B89 – BR – BF – B&R. So instead of maturing into the old Keaton we see in The Flash, the Burtonverse Bruce instead matures into the more cheerful Clooney version.

I'm sure this is not what the filmmakers intended, but it's another theory to add to the mix.

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 08:00As a side note, during the recharge attempt scene with the older Barry at the Batcave, seeing Keaton wearing the safety gloves to protect himself from electrocution, just made me think of Lewis Wilson's Batman from 1943 (luckily assuming they were there for a reason before flipping the switch to restore Linda Page from her zombie like state). As gloves were something you absolutely had to wear when operating Dr. Daka's 'Electrical Brain' machine.

The movie had a number of call backs, yeah, but I doubt that was intentionally one of them. :D 

I noticed a couple of other possible nods to earlier screen versions of Batman. One was the "How much do you weigh?" scene where Batman plants the device under the lift to make it rocket upwards. This reminded me of the sixties TV episode 'The Cat and the Fiddle' where the West Batman does something similar, as seen at the start of the following clip.

Then there was the scene where Bruce was shown stitching up the wound in his arm like Baleman did in The Dark Knight. Bruce is wearing a black t-shirt in both scenes, which made the visual similarity more obvious.

I don't know if either of these parallels were intentional, but they're present all the same.

Another observation. The first time we see Keaton in The Flash is a close-up shot of his bare foot in the kitchen of stately Wayne Manor. What did Bruce say about Alfred the last time we saw him in that kitchen? "I couldn't find my socks without him."

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 14:22Hopefully they'll include that alternate ending on the DVD. I think this is going to be a Batman Forever situation where the fan edits are superior to the theatrical cut.

Andrés Muschietti has stated that there indeed is a 4-hour cut of "The Flash", but notes that he prefers the theatrical cut better. Whether that's PR or he's being honest remains to be seen, but there's presumably at least a decent amount of footage featuring Keaton's Batman unseen by the public thus far. Especially so if you factor in the filmed-but-cancelled "Batgirl" movie.

QuoteI noticed a couple of other possible nods to earlier screen versions of Batman. One was the "How much do you weigh?" scene where Batman plants the device under the lift to make it rocket upwards. This reminded me of the sixties TV episode 'The Cat and the Fiddle' where the West Batman does something similar, as seen at the start of the following clip.

Then there was the scene where Bruce was shown stitching up the wound in his arm like Baleman did in The Dark Knight. Bruce is wearing a black t-shirt in both scenes, which made the visual similarity more obvious.

I don't know if either of these parallels were intentional, but they're present all the same.

Another observation. The first time we see Keaton in The Flash is a close-up shot of his bare foot in the kitchen of stately Wayne Manor. What did Bruce say about Alfred the last time we saw him in that kitchen? "I couldn't find my socks without him."

;D

Nice! I'll be more cognizant of these instances during my 2nd viewing.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 14:22Another observation. The first time we see Keaton in The Flash is a close-up shot of his bare foot in the kitchen of stately Wayne Manor. What did Bruce say about Alfred the last time we saw him in that kitchen? "I couldn't find my socks without him."
On the table when Bruce walks over it to attack the two Barrys there is a Gotham City Pizzas box. Without Alfred he's eating easy to prepare meals or junk food that's either delivered or heated up in a microwave. "I'll cancel the pizzas."