The Cameos (SPOILERS)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 16 Jun 2023, 21:56

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm sure lists have been compiled on other sites noting all the cameos in this film, but I thought we should make one of our own.

Wonder Woman appears briefly during the opening heist scene.

Cavill's Superman appears in a couple of scenes, but only in CG form. I don't know why they didn't get Cavill himself to appear, but his absence is disappointing.

Aquaman appears during the post-credit scene, which I thought was a wasted opportunity to tease the plot of Aquaman 2.

During the multiverse sequence, George Reeves' Superman appears in CG form.

Christopher's Reeve's Superman and Helen Slater's Supergirl appear, both CG. I'm glad they were shown coexisting in the same universe. I find those scenes easier to accept as part of the Donnerverse canon than Superman Returns or the Superman '78 comic.

Nicolas Cage's Superman appears battling a giant mechanical spider. Now I want to see more of his Superman.

Adam West appears in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo. I was disappointed with that, as I was hoping we'd get a clearer look at him and Ward's Robin, the latter of whom is absent altogether.

Jay Garrick appears, though I couldn't tell who was playing him. Was that the John Wesley Shipp version from the CW Flash show?

Then of course there's Clooney phoning it in as the Schumacher Bruce Wayne during the final scene. I wish it could have been Kilmer. Actually, I wish they'd kept the original scene with Keaton. Unless they're planning to continue with Clooney as the new DCEU Batman (are they?) then the scene won't have any lasting effect anyway, so why not just have Keaton and Calle return for the curtain call as originally intended? That way fans could see they were still alive. I'd have preferred that ending to sticking Clooney in for a cheap gag.

Are there any other cameos I've forgotten? What did everyone think of the cameos? Were they cool? Lame? Did you have a favourite?

Im a bit sad there was no Kilmer but given Clooney I can see why

For the second time in a film that features Michael Keaton's Batman, Ted Bundy is mentioned. The first time obviously being Batman Returns. Ted was definitely a real person in both universes.

This isn't a cameo as such, but did anyone notice the name of the shop/restaurant in the background during the scene where Affleck's Bruce was talking to Barry? I think it was called Graysons. A nod to Dick Grayson perhaps?

I'll have to check that out the next time I see the movie.

To be honest, the Speedforce cameos didn't do much for me. But I do think they serve an important plot function other than just pure fan service. They show that other worlds exist separately from one another and they're at risk of merging or collapsing entirely. The problem is I don't have strong emotional attachment to the characters they show, apart from Adam West who we barely see. It felt like a missed opportunity to me.

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 00:54Im a bit sad there was no Kilmer but given Clooney I can see why
Barry says "you're not Batman", which seems like a meta mock to Clooney's real life reputation in the role. Clooney replies with "what's wrong with you?", which sadly Kilmer would have even struggled to say now given his voice issues.

Sat, 17 Jun 2023, 14:45 #5 Last Edit: Sat, 17 Jun 2023, 15:01 by The Joker
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 13:18This isn't a cameo as such, but did anyone notice the name of the shop/restaurant in the background during the scene where Affleck's Bruce was talking to Barry? I think it was called Graysons. A nod to Dick Grayson perhaps?

I honestly did not notice that.

I did take note of the "Mars Attacks!" poster on the wall during the apartment scene with the roommates. Another nice little nod to our man, Tim Burton, and even subliminally acknowledging the situation at hand. Since this world's timeline was now on the cusp of an alien invasion. With both initial meetings between the aliens/humans in the desert settings going horribly awry.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 14:45
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 13:18This isn't a cameo as such, but did anyone notice the name of the shop/restaurant in the background during the scene where Affleck's Bruce was talking to Barry? I think it was called Graysons. A nod to Dick Grayson perhaps?

I honestly did not notice that.

I did take note of the "Mars Attacks!" poster on the wall during the apartment scene with the roommates. Another nice little nod to our man, Tim Burton, and even subliminally acknowledging the situation at hand. Since this world's timeline was now on the cusp of an alien invasion. With both initial meetings between the aliens/humans in the desert settings going horribly awry.

Also had Michael J. Fox in it  ;)

Sat, 17 Jun 2023, 19:54 #7 Last Edit: Sat, 17 Jun 2023, 19:56 by Silver Nemesis
I also spotted a poster for Inception in his room, which Nolan directed in between TDK and TDKR.

I don't think it's a coincidence that there were posters for films by both Burton and Nolan. Did anyone spot a Schumacher poster there too?

According to the IMDb there was also a poster for Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003), which features a fake Batman movie directed by Roger Corman. Looney Tunes: Back in Action was the last theatrically-released film to feature the Burton Batmobile, so I don't think the inclusion of that poster was coincidental either.

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sat, 17 Jun  2023, 15:53Also had Michael J. Fox in it  ;)

;D

The whole Eric Stoltz bit was amusing, especially for the GenX/older Millennial demo that would more likely know of him (and the whole deal with BTTF), while I'm sure there are kids watching this and literally have no clue, or only a vague idea, of who Eric Stoltz is. A (in-)joke literally going over their heads.

Same goes for the PS3-style cut scene with Nic Cage's Superman cameo really. If you know what that's about, it's decidedly entertaining! If not, it's probably at the very least, bewildering.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I was hoping also for at least of mention of Pfeiffer's Catwoman... a photo of Bruce and Selina hanging in his office... a whip hanging in the Batcave... anything.  :-\

Did anyone see Nicholson's Joker anywhere? According to wikipedia it was shot, but I didn't catch him anywhere other than the mechanical laughing-bag.

I did notice the Mars Attacks! poster as well. Does that mean Tim Burton exists as a director in that universe?  :D