Trailer

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 12 Feb 2023, 23:04

Previous topic - Next topic
Mon, 13 Feb 2023, 12:55 #20 Last Edit: Mon, 13 Feb 2023, 13:05 by Silver Nemesis
A few observations about the trailers. First the positives.

The new footage confirms that the leaked plot details were accurate.

It's cool to see so many recognisable beats taken from the Flashpoint comic. A few things have obviously been changed: they've replaced Thomas Wayne with Bruce Keaton, they've replaced Cyborg with Ezra 2.0, they've replaced Superman with Supergirl, and they've replaced the Atlanteans and Amazons with a Kryptonian invasion force. But aside from that, it seems to be following the central plot structure of Flashpoint fairly closely.

Barry finds his mother is still alive.

He realises he's created an alternate universe and goes to a dilapidated Wayne Manor where he meets an older Batman.

Barry regains his powers through lightning.

It looks like Bruce is using the Batwing as a lightning conductor in this scene.

Batman and the Flash descend through tunnels to access the facility where the captive Kryptonian is being held.

The captive Kryptonian (Supergirl instead of Superman) cowers in her cell.

Batman and the Flash emerge from the facility to find themselves surrounded by soldiers.

The newly released Kryptonian helps them. In the comic Superman left them to their own devices, but later returned to help during the final battle. The moment in the trailer where Supergirl crashes into the ground seems to be referencing that scene.

Then there's all the stuff with the final battle, during the course of which Batman is apparently fatally wounded. He died in the comic, but he might not in the film. It depends on the reshot ending.

The sliding bookcase in the TV spot looks like a nod to the sixties TV show. Note the pictures on the right hand side. I'm sure there'll be a photo of Michael Gough somewhere.

We see a close-up of one of those pictures in the main trailer. Is this a photo of Thomas and Martha Wayne? Bruce appears to be touching the picture to activate the secret entrance.

The scene of Batman holding his hands up reminds me of the deleted scene from Batman 89 where he pretends to surrender to the police at Axis Chemicals.

I have some observations to make concerning the vault and the different Batsuits on display, but I'll post them at another time. I think we should probably have a separate 'Batsuits Thread' for that subject.

Moving on to the negatives.

Based on the preliminary pics, I criticised the new suit for having a lower facial gap that was too small. Now that I've seen the suit in action, that criticism stands. The gap exposing his lower face is too small. It just doesn't look as good as his earlier costumes. However I understand that Keaton is older, his face has changed shape, and this new costume has been designed to fit comfortably on a 70-year-old man. If this is what it has to look like to get him to wear it, then I'm ok with that. It's acceptable. But IMO it doesn't look as good as the earlier Burton/Schumacher costumes. Not based on what we've seen so far.

My biggest concern is the script. I'm not a fan of the screenwriter's previous work (except Bumblebee, which was good), and I think we're in for a very jokey, sentimental and nostalgic screenplay in the vein of The Force Awakens. They already turned the "I'm Batman" line into a joke by having Barry faint after Keaton says it, and the leaks claim Bruce will also say the "let's get nuts" line at some point. Supposedly there's also a joke about him not being able to turn his head, which I'm not keen on. I expect this will be full of nostalgic throwbacks that make you smile the first time you watch the movie, but annoy you on repeated viewings.

But on balance, I remain optimistic. I don't expect a masterpiece here, but I'm looking forward to seeing it. And I am thrilled to see Keaton back in action.

Mon, 13 Feb 2023, 13:15 #21 Last Edit: Mon, 13 Feb 2023, 13:20 by The Dark Knight
Good stuff, Silver. It's also worth noting The Flash continues the trend of Batman appearing in daylight more frequently.

TDK Rises: Final confrontation with Bane
ZSJL: Superman's resurrection
TB: Rescuing the flood victims
TF: Facilty escape and Batwing battle against the Kryptonians

I think the sequences shot outside and inside Wayne Manor/the Batcave will be more in the Burton inspired atmosphere. The cloudy, lightning covered sky is a good example of expressionism above his domain. But outside of that, it indeed does open up to a new territory visually. Very much like this Batman is leaving his perimeter.

From the Batfleck perspective I think his Batcycle looks fine in action, and it"s a bonus seeing the Flying Fox again. From what I can see of his new suit I'm not really a fan, but not passionately against it.

Mon, 13 Feb 2023, 14:12 #22 Last Edit: Mon, 13 Feb 2023, 15:10 by eledoremassis02
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 13 Feb  2023, 12:55

Based on the preliminary pics, I criticised the new suit for having a lower facial gap that was too small. Now that I've seen the suit in action, that criticism stands. The gap exposing his lower face is too small. It just doesn't look as good as his earlier costumes. However I understand that Keaton is older, his face has changed shape, and this new costume has been designed to fit comfortably on a 70-year-old man. If this is what it has to look like to get him to wear it, then I'm ok with that. It's acceptable. But IMO it doesn't look as good as the earlier Burton/Schumacher costumes. Not based on what we've seen so far.

I think the other problem is that this suit is made out of Urethane and not Latex wich sits differently on a person. CosplayChris did a pretty good video on the difference between the Justice League suit (Latex) and Re-shoots (Urethane)

Edit:
Someone on Instagram pointed out this is the costume vault (wich lines up with the suit being tossed in the Manor). I bightened up the screenshot

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 13 Feb  2023, 13:15
Good stuff, Silver. It's also worth noting The Flash continues the trend of Batman appearing in daylight more frequently.
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of that, but whatever. It is what it is. The movie looks pretty fun.

QuoteFrom what I can see of his new suit I'm not really a fan, but not passionately against it.
I like the blue and grey colors, but I think the suit looks pretty weird with the armor plates strapped on. But again, whatever. It is what it is. lol

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 13 Feb  2023, 11:05
I assume that shot was the only one that impressed you?
Nope. Now, I love seeing Keaton back in action. Like many of us around here, all roads lead to Keaton in terms of my fandom. He's the founder of the feast. Seeing him suit back up as Batman is cool by definition. I'm familiar with the criticisms/quibbles outlined by SN up there.

But in the end, it's still Keaton wearing the Batman suit. I refuse to criticize or complain about that.

I doubt I'll ever watch the movie. But I don't want to ruin the fun for anyone else by being too vocal about that.. And anyway, I share everyone else's enthusiasm about Keaton returning to the character. I think we all believed his time was long gone. So, if this is as good as it gets, that's fine. I'm just happy he was able to come back in any capacity.

Mon, 13 Feb 2023, 15:58 #26 Last Edit: Mon, 13 Feb 2023, 16:03 by DocLathropBrown

We see a close-up of one of those pictures in the main trailer. Is this a photo of Thomas and Martha Wayne? Bruce appears to be touching the picture to activate the secret entrance.

That's gotta be his parents, good catch.

They already turned the "I'm Batman" line into a joke by having Barry faint after Keaton says it

To be fair, that's the Burtonverse version of Barry that faints, clearly because he's finding out that Bruce Wayne is the fabled vigilante, which makes sense. "Our" Barry is smirking in that moment, because he's The Flash and he already knows. The fact that it serves as an actual introduction for a character in the narrative is the only thing that justifies Keaton catch-phrasing it up.

I don't like how it's shot--his face awkwardly in camera, jaw bursting out of the narrow cowl mouth-hole and taking too long to say it... I sure hope the final film edits it better. Since it's his first on-screen appearance for the purposes of the trailer, I'm assuming they let it drag out for the general audience to recognize who it is. It might not be such a lingering shot in the film itself, since we'll have already seen him as Bruce prior to that moment.

So according to one of the people involved with the film, the holstered items on the "first" Batsuit is actually grapple guns and not the firearms I expected... I hope they show that off in the movie proper. Bad enough everyone believe that the golden age Batman was a regular gun-toter (he wasn't) but I don't want Keaton's legacy tarnished by more fuel for the "comic inaccuracy" squadron. He killed, his vehicles had guns ON them, but he wasn't the type to walk around with a pair of .45s like the Shadow.

https://twitter.com/westonfront/status/1625126670800658438

My favorite moment in the trailer was actually "we try not to die," although it's jarring to see Batman out in the daylight, Keats' voice is perfect and I love the implication--the young, inexperienced hero turns to the veteran for a plan, and Bats has got the cool head, as ever.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

It looks like Keaton's agility has been seriously amped. That's some Arkham-level gliding right there.

I like the shot of him kneeling at the end of that clip. You just know the soldier coming up behind him is about to get his skull busted.

For anyone who's interested, here are the plot details that leaked last year. Many of the scenes in the trailer correspond with those described here. Don't click if you don't want to read spoilers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCEUleaks/comments/vdpgv2/alleged_full_plot_summary_of_the_flash_from_world/

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 13 Feb  2023, 13:15Good stuff, Silver. It's also worth noting The Flash continues the trend of Batman appearing in daylight more frequently.

Speaking of Batman in the daylight, those shots of Keaton in the snow remind me of some of the imagery in Bride of the Demon, which I rate as one of the best Ra's al Ghul stories.

Obviously Batman looks best in the shadows, but it's always interesting to see him in such a strikingly different visual context.

I wonder if the idea of Supergirl landing in Russia instead of America was inspired by Red Son.

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Mon, 13 Feb  2023, 14:12I think the other problem is that this suit is made out of Urethane and not Latex wich sits differently on a person. CosplayChris did a pretty good video on the difference between the Justice League suit (Latex) and Re-shoots (Urethane)

I know very little about costume design. Presumably the Urethane is the reason the new costume sometimes looks more creased than the older suits?

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Mon, 13 Feb  2023, 15:58I don't like how it's shot--his face awkwardly in camera, jaw bursting out of the narrow cowl mouth-hole and taking too long to say it... I sure hope the final film edits it better. Since it's his first on-screen appearance for the purposes of the trailer, I'm assuming they let it drag out for the general audience to recognize who it is. It might not be such a lingering shot in the film itself, since we'll have already seen him as Bruce prior to that moment.

I prefer how it was edited in the TV spot, where they inserted a reaction shot of the two Barrys to break up the pause. At the 25 second mark:

Hopefully that's how it'll be edited in the finished film.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 13 Feb  2023, 20:04
It looks like Keaton's agility has been seriously amped. That's some Arkham-level gliding right there.

I like the shot of him kneeling at the end of that clip. You just know the soldier coming up behind him is about to get his skull busted.

For anyone who's interested, here are the plot details that leaked last year. Many of the scenes in the trailer correspond with those described here. Don't click if you don't want to read spoilers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCEUleaks/comments/vdpgv2/alleged_full_plot_summary_of_the_flash_from_world/

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 13 Feb  2023, 13:15Good stuff, Silver. It's also worth noting The Flash continues the trend of Batman appearing in daylight more frequently.

Speaking of Batman in the daylight, those shots of Keaton in the snow remind me of some of the imagery in Bride of the Demon, which I rate as one of the best Ra's al Ghul stories.

Obviously Batman looks best in the shadows, but it's always interesting to see him in such a strikingly different visual context.

I wonder if the idea of Supergirl landing in Russia instead of America was inspired by Red Son.

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Mon, 13 Feb  2023, 14:12I think the other problem is that this suit is made out of Urethane and not Latex wich sits differently on a person. CosplayChris did a pretty good video on the difference between the Justice League suit (Latex) and Re-shoots (Urethane)

I know very little about costume design. Presumably the Urethane is the reason the new costume sometimes looks more creased than the older suits?

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Mon, 13 Feb  2023, 15:58I don't like how it's shot--his face awkwardly in camera, jaw bursting out of the narrow cowl mouth-hole and taking too long to say it... I sure hope the final film edits it better. Since it's his first on-screen appearance for the purposes of the trailer, I'm assuming they let it drag out for the general audience to recognize who it is. It might not be such a lingering shot in the film itself, since we'll have already seen him as Bruce prior to that moment.

I prefer how it was edited in the TV spot, where they inserted a reaction shot of the two Barrys to break up the pause. At the 25 second mark:

Hopefully that's how it'll be edited in the finished film.

Urethane is not as flexible and can be pretty stiff.

Artsee1 has done a few different videos about urethane vs latest

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 13 Feb  2023, 15:51
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 13 Feb  2023, 11:05
I assume that shot was the only one that impressed you?
Nope. Now, I love seeing Keaton back in action. Like many of us around here, all roads lead to Keaton in terms of my fandom. He's the founder of the feast. Seeing him suit back up as Batman is cool by definition. I'm familiar with the criticisms/quibbles outlined by SN up there.

But in the end, it's still Keaton wearing the Batman suit. I refuse to criticize or complain about that.

Fair enough. Whatever happens in this movie, Keaton will always remain among my favourite Batmen and by far the most influential. I just wish the circumstances were different and his comeback would've been for something for ALL of us to celebrate.

I think you and I share a common ground with our grievances for this movie, both in terms of the premise and the whole Ezra saga. But make no mistake: as I said in my last post, why bother complaining in detail? I've exhausted my complaints and concerns at this point, and I've come to accept that nothing is going to change this film. There's no point to talk about it if it's not going to interest and excite me, so I'm going to move onto other topics.

Before I do, there's one more detail I want to share, from a critic and journalist in the industry with second hand info:

Quote from: Scott Menzel
I normally don't post about scoops but I know a few people who saw the original cut of #TheFlashMovie. They all told me that the original cut was incredible. Also, Gal Gadot, Ben Affleck, Michael Keaton, Henry Cavill and Jason Momoa were all in the Flash original cut.

https://www.twitter.com/ScottDMenzel/status/1624644121741905922

Will this result in calls to release the Muschietti cut in the near future? I doubt it.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei