Michael Keaton in talks to return as Batman

Started by Silver Nemesis, Mon, 22 Jun 2020, 19:07

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 23 Jun  2020, 12:36
I just need the character to not get killed off. And people, considering how things played out with Arrowverse's COIE, this is something we should all be mindful of.

Damn straight.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 23 Jun  2020, 12:06Depending on how Top Gun Maverick turns out, Joseph Kosinski might be a good choice. He has a very strong visual sensibility (Oblivion) and prior experience directing cyberpunk material (Tron: Legacy). He can also handle drama well, as he demonstrated with Only the Brave.

On reflection, I'd rather have Burton direct this so we can formally connect BB with B89 and BR. Burton is an extremely mediocre director these days, and he hasn't made a film I truly loved since Sleepy Hollow. But he was one of my favourite directors when I was a kid, and this might be the project to reawaken some of his former glory.

Here's what I would ideally like to see in the next five years.

Flashpoint

If they start filming this early next year, as intended, then Keaton will be 69. But he could probably pass for his early sixties with some good makeup, stunt doubles and a convincing muscle suit. Have it so that Bruce is still actively fighting crime in his winter years. Unlike the Nolan Batman, who retired after just two years (which is fair enough, considering the more realistic take they were going for), make it so that Burton's Batman has been fighting crime nonstop for over thirty years, but is now nearing the point of retirement.

The Golden Age Earth-Two Batman continued fighting crime well into his sixties, so why not Burton's? This would be his last hurrah in the cowl, containing lots of hints about the villains he's defeated during the intervening decades since Batman Returns (trophies relating to Bane, Ra's al Ghul, Hush, etc, could be seen in the Batcave). Also have him drive the Furstmobile one last time. This will be the last Batman film Keaton stars in before he turns 70, so let's make the most of it. Basically have him do everything the Thomas Wayne Batman did in Flashpoint, minus the killing.

Batman Beyond

If there is a Batman Beyond movie – and there should be, since it's easily a billion+ dollar concept – then it should begin with Keaton hanging up the cowl. By now he'll be in his seventies and should only serve in a mentor capacity as Bruce Wayne. Flashpoint should be his final costumed outing, but Batman Beyond should be his final solo film. I say solo, but of course it would co-star whoever's playing Terry McGinnis.

I would like Burton to be involved for the reasons I previously stated. Get a good cinematographer and have Elfman return to write the score. I don't mind the idea of Keaton's Bruce mentoring Batgirl as well, but I'd like that and Batman Beyond to be two separate movies. Batman Beyond should be a dark gothic cyberpunk film that serves as the concluding chapter of the Burton trilogy.

Other Films

It would be fun to see Keaton's Batman meet Superman and the other DC heroes in a Justice League film. I'd have it so Bruce assists the JL from the Watchtower as a strategic advisor. I wouldn't have him wear the suit again at this point, unless its for a single scene during the finale where he dons the Kingdom Come armour. I don't care too much about him appearing in other films like the Batgirl movie, but I would like to see him in at least one JLA film. Even if it's only a cameo

Interestingly, Kevin Smith floated the idea of a Justice League movie centred around an older Bat-Keaton way back in the noughties. Now it might finally happen.

Comics

For years we've been lobbying for a comic book series set in the Burtonverse. Now is the perfect time to do it. Let's have an ongoing title that fills in the gaps about what happened between BR and Flashpoint. Let's see the adventures of a young Bat-Keaton as he faces off against villains like the Riddler and Two-Face, or perhaps even a Year One-style prequel set before B89.

If we get something close to what I've described, I'll be beyond content.

Midnight's Edge is reporting a Batman Beyond production is also in the pipeline, possibly for HBO Max.

Tue, 23 Jun 2020, 20:49 #22 Last Edit: Tue, 23 Jun 2020, 20:53 by Gotham Knight
I've heard some things from the inside. Tidbits. Take from it what you will. Everything is in flux at this point.

1. Keaton does not want to wear the suit. Claustrophobia

2. The original pitch to Keaton was to cameo at the end as twist on the Flashpoint story IE the Thomas Wayne letter is not deliverable because Batfleck is Keaton now. The intent was and still is to replace Batffleck entirely by making Batman (89)/ Batman Returns canon retroactively and turning Keaton into a Nick Fury style character.

3. Keaton responded by poo pooing Flashpoint Thomas altogether, is said not to understand it at all, and wants to co star as the alternate universe Batman, saying that his Batman is similar enough to the Flashpoint Batman to just omit him and take his place.

4. Keaton is vying for a single go. Warner Brothers wants multiple movies. Once again, they want him to replace Batffleck because after whatever he shoots for Zack Snyder, Ben Affleck is done. This whole Keaton idea came about because they pursued Ben Affleck and he won't budge.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 23 Jun  2020, 10:26
Quote from: KeatonisBatman on Tue, 23 Jun  2020, 09:46
Wow.  I'm gobsmacked.  This is fantastic news!
Keaton not suiting up (or minimally) would contrast against Pattinson who will be.

I think that's a point of difference of why this would be allowed. It would be interesting to know, if Keaton signs up, how much creative input he'd have. In the Burton films he cut down dialogue. Mark Hamill had his reign as Luke Skywalker tarnished. I'd imagine Michael would want to be confident he's signing up to something worthwhile.

If a Beyond film gets made, it makes you wonder who directs it. Burton? Even if he doesn't, the project has to go ahead, because this opportunity is too good to pass up.

Same goes for Elfman - but his theme has to be there if he's not.

I agree with you on all points.  I'd rather Keaton not do it if he thinks it "sucks"... and boy, don't get even me started on what they did to Luke Skywalker...

Ugh, I read that Umberto Gonzalez is the original source behind this rumour. If that's true then now I'm skeptical that Keaton's return is possible. Gonzalez never believed in the Snyder cut's existence for years and his scoops aren't very accurate.

We'll see, but the wild rumours surrounding Keaton replacing Affleck aren't surprising if it's coming from Gonzalez. I can't see Keaton doing that at his age. Let's not forget he still has contractual obligations to play the Vulture in the MCU and Sony franchises. If the tease at the end of the Morbius trailer is anything to go by, it could be possible that he'll return in another MCU Spider-Man film. Maybe even Sinister Six is back on the cards.

The more I think about it, the more I think he will likely make a simple cameo appearance in The Flash, plus a Batman Beyond adaptation somewhere down the pipeline, and that's it. IF the rumours are true
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 23 Jun  2020, 20:19
Midnight's Edge is reporting a Batman Beyond production is also in the pipeline, possibly for HBO Max.

"Standalone movies are out and connectivity is king"

*sigh*

But honestly, AT&T's acquisition of Time-Warner has thrown everything up into the air. Maybe standalone productions aren't the magic bullet in this new context that they would've been without the buyout. Plus, this could open the door for an Arrowverse-style adoption of previous live action incarnations of various characters: Lois & Clark, Shipp's Flash, etc. At this point, Smallville is probably better off forgotten, considering the events of COIE and Welling being such a gd prima donna.

I maintain that my fanboy muse would prefer standalone, disconnected films tho.

Wed, 24 Jun 2020, 01:15 #26 Last Edit: Wed, 24 Jun 2020, 01:17 by The Joker
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 23 Jun  2020, 14:43
On reflection, I'd rather have Burton direct this so we can formally connect BB with B89 and BR. Burton is an extremely mediocre director these days, and he hasn't made a film I truly loved since Sleepy Hollow. But he was one of my favourite directors when I was a kid, and this might be the project to reawaken some of his former glory.

I agree. Ideally, this would be the most preferred direction to take. As it would give us a complete Burton trilogy, and being that Keaton and Burton enjoy working together, I'm sure it would be of their preference as well. Unfortunately, as you stated, Burton is very iffy as a director these days. So the overall notion that we would get something of top quality isn't necessarily guaranteed, as it might have been in decades past. Which is unfortunate.

QuoteIf they start filming this early next year, as intended, then Keaton will be 69. But he could probably pass for his early sixties with some good makeup, stunt doubles and a convincing muscle suit. Have it so that Bruce is still actively fighting crime in his winter years. Unlike the Nolan Batman, who retired after just two years (which is fair enough, considering the more realistic take they were going for), make it so that Burton's Batman has been fighting crime nonstop for over thirty years, but is now nearing the point of retirement.

The Golden Age Earth-Two Batman continued fighting crime well into his sixties, so why not Burton's? This would be his last hurrah in the cowl, containing lots of hints about the villains he's defeated during the intervening decades since Batman Returns (trophies relating to Bane, Ra's al Ghul, Hush, etc, could be seen in the Batcave). Also have him drive the Furstmobile one last time. This will be the last Batman film Keaton stars in before he turns 70, so let's make the most of it.

Yeah, I've compared Keaton's Batman with the Golden Age Earth-Two Batman on more than one occasion, and I like your ideas on this. Essentially it would give Keaton's Bats a proper send off much in the same vein as Hugh Jackman's Wolverine with LOGAN. Or to make another comparison, Clint Eastwood with the western genre with Unforgiven. There's a lot of dramatic meat there in terms of story that could be had with a older, beloved version of Batman, which undoubtedly Keaton's Batman is, struggling with his own human limitations, as he takes up the cowl one last time to face a seemingly insurmountable adversary.

Comics

For years we've been lobbying for a comic book series set in the Burtonverse. Now is the perfect time to do it. Let's have an ongoing title that fills in the gaps about what happened between BR and Flashpoint. Let's see the adventures of a young Bat-Keaton as he faces off against villains like the Riddler and Two-Face, or perhaps even a Year One-style prequel set before B89.

If we get something close to what I've described, I'll be beyond content.

That would be great!

As far as a Batman Beyond scenario goes, I am kinda cool on that, but not exactly dismissive of the idea either. Being someone who is much less of a fan of Batman Beyond compared to that of the Animated Series, it would not be my preferred route to take Keaton's Batman, but I am not completely against it either. There could be an interesting take on the Jokerz gang to explore, as they would have been influenced by Jack Nicholson's Joker with this being in the Burtonverse. The aforementioned idea of a comic book series taking place post-Batman Returns could easily implement this as well if they so choose to.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

That would be the dream scenario, no doubt about it. But even if it didn't happen, I'd still be mightily pumped to have Keaton back.

If they start filming this early next year, as intended, then Keaton will be 69. But he could probably pass for his early sixties with some good makeup, stunt doubles and a convincing muscle suit. Have it so that Bruce is still actively fighting crime in his winter years. Unlike the Nolan Batman, who retired after just two years (which is fair enough, considering the more realistic take they were going for), make it so that Burton's Batman has been fighting crime nonstop for over thirty years, but is now nearing the point of retirement.
Oh YES. This would be another dream scenario, further building on what Batfleck portrayed by adding another 10 years to the mileage. An grizzled beast of a man who has seen and done do much, who only stops because his body screams he must stop. But the absolute hunger to be Batman means he continues the war on crime in other ways.

This manip communicates a lot as to why Keaton IS Batman. His body mass is irrelevant because his spirit embodies the DNA of what the character is all about - especially the prep time aspect. It's all in the facial expression. He's aloof, analytical and means business - this is my City. Even if he never wore the cape and cowl again he can bring the energy we all know and love.

It really depends on how much screentime they would devote to him in the Flash film. And exactly what their future plans are, as Gotham Knight claims Keaton wants a single appearance. So much speculation is flying around right now, and it's fun, but it's hard to know what to believe. Right now, I trust Keaton has been approached and it's a real prospect. I'll streamline the hype to focus on that. Fandome will hopefully elaborate further.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Tue, 23 Jun  2020, 20:49
Keaton responded by poo pooing Flashpoint Thomas altogether, is said not to understand it at all, and wants to co star as the alternate universe Batman, saying that his Batman is similar enough to the Flashpoint Batman to just omit him and take his place.
If so I agree with him. We'd want to see TIM BURTON'S BATMAN, not Keaton as Thomas Wayne or any watered down compromise.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 23 Jun  2020, 22:36
"Standalone movies are out and connectivity is king"

*sigh*
Which is a reason why I'm anticipating the Pattinson film which may become a trilogy. 

I'm starting to feel Affleck in 100% done and won't return in any capacity, and it's still in the enticement stage. I suspect if he ever is enticed it'll be for HBO, and only if Snyder is behind the lens. 

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 24 Jun  2020, 03:34
This manip communicates a lot as to why Keaton IS Batman. His body mass is irrelevant because his spirit embodies the DNA of what the character is all about - especially the prep time aspect. It's all in the facial expression. He's aloof, analytical and means business - this is my City. Even if he never wore the cape and cowl again he can bring the energy we all know and love.
I assume that if he comes back, he won't wear the suit. So it raises the question of if he'll be the sort of scatterbrained Bruce or if he'll play the part like he's Batman but out of costume. Because there was quite a range in his performance, esp in BR.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 24 Jun  2020, 03:34
It really depends on how much screentime they would devote to him in the Flash film. And exactly what their future plans are, as Gotham Knight claims Keaton wants a single appearance. So much speculation is flying around right now, and it's fun, but it's hard to know what to believe. Right now, I trust Keaton has been approached and it's a real prospect. I'll streamline the hype to focus on that. Fandome will hopefully elaborate further.
The sense I've always gotten is that while Keaton didn't want to be involved in BF, he still had more to say about the character and perhaps wasn't ready to leave. Certainly he was willing to return to the character for Superman Lives under Tim Burton.

Obviously, I'm not the talent agent who has to negotiate this sucker. But it's reasonable to think that Keaton wants to come back for something more than a glorified cameo. Presumably, he wants a certain amount of screen time as a non-negotiable condition. And why would the studio object to that? I imagine they're only too happy to grant that request.

Between this Keaton business and ZSJL, I haven't been this Up For The Game with DC films in almost three years.

For the sake of argument, if Michael Keaton just wants to do a one-off returning as Burton's Batman, then it would be imperative to get him to sign on for a starring role, rather than just a cameo appearance, that properly concludes his Batman's journey that started 31 years ago. I would imagine if AT&T/Warners can get Tim Burton himself to participate in the project, perhaps as a collaborator and/or on-hand consultant, it might sweeten the deal for Keaton to sign an agreement. I am, quite frankly, on the fence about Burton directing a third Batman film starring Keaton at this stage in his career, but there's always the possibility that a director can step in and remain respectful to Burton's vision, and visual aesthetics, but at the same time being mindful in presenting a Batman and Gotham that's 30 years removed from where we last left off.

Essentially, a "Batman Continues" with Keaton. Not all that dissimilar to what was proposed with MGM's "Robocop Returns".

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."