If I could rewrite one scene in "The Dark Knight"

Started by phantom stranger, Sun, 11 Oct 2009, 01:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 11 Oct 2009, 01:52 Last Edit: Sun, 11 Oct 2009, 01:54 by phantom stranger
So Nolan deviated greatly from the source material when it came to Two-Face's origin. I didn't mind it so much though because it was well-done. Plus, BTAS gave Two-Face a similar origin.

But how cool would this have been? Instead of the thug pulling a gun on Dent in the courtroom, he throws a glass of water on him. Or any harmless liquid for that matter.

Dent isn't hurt but the Batman fans are "tricked" into thinking that it was acid and the transformation is about to begin, when in fact it doesn't happen until much later in the movie. Plus, it would've been more realistic. I would think that sneaking a gun into a Gotham courtroom would be difficult.

Great post phantom.  It would have been a great nod to Two-Face's origins, although in this age of 'the spoiler' I suspect most viewers wouldn't be caught out by such an early red-herring.  Also, the whole point of the scene was to show how relatively unfazed Dent was by a witness pulling a gun on him, whereas nobody would expect him to be scared of a seemingly harmless 'glass of water'.

One idea I always thought would be good in an alternative version of the story was if it was Dr Harleen Quinzel, acting in her capacity as The Joker's court psychiatrist, smuggled a vial of acid into the court room for The Joker to then throw at Harvey whilst he was being cross-examined by the District Attorney.  I think it would be more likely that a completely unpredictable psychopath like The Joker would risk the repercussions of throwing a container of acid at a public official in full public view, than it would for a mob boss do do such a thing (since they'd have more to risk, and would be relatively sane next to The Joker).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I like that scenario as well. You know the original plan was actually to have Joker scar Dent in the third film:

Quote"The next one would have Batman enlisting the aid of Gordon and Dent in bringing down The Joker...but not killing him, which is a mistake they made in the first one," Batwriter David Goyer tells the latest issue of U.S. movie magazine PREMIERE. "In the third, the Joker would go on trial, scarring Dent in the process."

Source: http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEkvzslkIInmnr

To be honest, that courtroom scene always strikes me as surreal. For starters,  Dent mispronounces Falcone's name once. It sounds like he says FalconE rather than FalconEE.

Then, after having the gun pulled on him he does a spectroanalysis of the gun, gives a "Buy American" speech and then has a chuckle over the incident with Rachel.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Wed, 14 Oct  2009, 08:07
To be honest, that courtroom scene always strikes me as surreal. For starters,  Dent mispronounces Falcone's name once. It sounds like he says FalconE rather than FalconEE.
I like the dialogue and the readings but you're right it does stand out as being a little goofy.

QuoteThen, after having the gun pulled on him he does a spectroanalysis of the gun, gives a "Buy American" speech and then has a chuckle over the incident with Rachel.
Yep.  I could sooner believe that the bailiff would shoot first and ask questions later.  I doubt Dent would get a chance to punch him (although I have to admit it's a cool bit).

Still, I like your water idea better.  :)

Or, instead of water, he could have thrown acid. :P

But seriously, I don't see why it was so hard to write acid in? :'(

They could have. But Dent being scarred in the court room didn't fit Nolan's narrative. He wanted a vengeful Dent seeking revenge on corrupt cops in the name of Rachel.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  9 Dec  2009, 05:31
They could have. But Dent being scarred in the court room didn't fit Nolan's narrative. He wanted a vengeful Dent seeking revenge on corrupt cops in the name of Rachel.
But that's kinda the point to this thread, the "what if" nature of the film. I'm sure the writers could have made a similar story of revenge, and still use the acid. Again, "what if"? ;)

Quote from: Travesty on Wed,  9 Dec  2009, 05:41
But that's kinda the point to this thread, the "what if" nature of the film. I'm sure the writers could have made a similar story of revenge, and still use the acid. Again, "what if"? ;)
Well, I suppose they could have had Rachel shot dead in court by a corrupt cop, and then have Dent scarred soon after. But getting abducted, being tied to a chair among hundreds of fuels drums and wondering who's going to be rescued is much better. For me anyway. Especially as it's apart of Joker's plan.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed,  9 Dec  2009, 05:11Or, instead of water, he could have thrown acid. :P

But seriously, I don't see why it was so hard to write acid in? :'(
Indicting the Joker in Dent's scarring was the clear agenda.  Making the Joker (as conceived by Nolan) responsible for it would pretty much have only been possible in more or less the way Nolan executed it.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  9 Dec  2009, 08:31
Indicting the Joker in Dent's scarring was the clear agenda.  Making the Joker (as conceived by Nolan) responsible for it would pretty much have only been possible in more or less the way Nolan executed it.
Bingo. How it's done in the film is the only real way to do it properly.