Top Gun 2: Maverick

Started by The Joker, Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 08:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Trailer is up.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I'm skeptical about this. If a sequel was going to get made, I reckon it should've been done a couple of years after the first one.

The scenes in the trailer look well made, but I suspect it will retread some old ground and recycle some scenes from the original. Nowadays I prefer not to watch any more trailers because they give the movie away too much, but I wouldn't mind seeing a new trailer for this to see what else is new on offer.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It's interesting to think about how a Top Gun sequel would have turned out in '88/'89, or really any year during the 1990's.

If it would have been just Tom Cruise, and Tony Scott returning, I can think of a number of ways it could have gone. However, if Val Kilmer would have returned, I would imagine his role would have been just as significant as Cruise's. Especially by the '90's era where Kilmer's star power was on the rise.

As it currently stands, I can only hope some thought has been put into the story and characters. As this is a sequel that's been talked about for literally decades now. I don't doubt for a second, and the trailer essentially shows this, that nostalgia is assuredly going to have it's place in this, but hopefully it's not something that the film will be overly reliant on. It's a shame Tony Scott's not around to direct this, as I recall he was interested in directing the sequel as well, but it appears as if his directorial style does indeed have some influence on the new film, and that's a good call.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Tom Cruise has a commitment to practical/in-camera/no-safety-net stunts and effects that is beginning to resemble a fanaticism.

One of the original Top Gun's best selling points is the actual jet photography. Off hand, I don't think there are models used anywhere in the first film.

A similar approach appears to be in play here, at least judging by the trailer.

Also, I cherish how the movie seems to be giving Maverick an actual character arc. Yeah, there's no denying the nostalgia but it looks like nobody is cutting corners here or being dishonest with the material.

Can't. Freaking. Wait. To watch this movie.

Got a chance to check out Top Gun again this past Wednesday at my local theatre thanks to their "Flashback Cinema" screenings.

This was my 2nd time ever seeing it on the big screen. As I had the opportunity to see the 1986 film for the 1st time in a theater setting last year. July? Somewhere around there. It's been slightly over a year, but seeing it again was just as enjoyable as the last. If I had to guess, I think the 7pm screening I attended had about 20-25 people altogether. Which is pretty fair for a retro film. These screenings usually includes a 5 minute "intro" by a host going over the production of the film, the stars, and how it was received upon release. Which is always kinda cool. I would like to think they will show the '86 Top Gun atleast one more time before the sequel next year, but who really knows...

Only difference I spotted that differentiated this from the SE DVD of Top Gun, or the 30th anniversary Blu, is that the Paramount stars/mountain logo that begins the film with the opening Top Gun theme is of the current Paramount logo for some reason, and not the Paramount logo that would have been seen in 1986. Both the SE DVD, and 30th anniversary Blu have the 1986 Paramount logo thankfully. So no big issue there.

New Trailer is up:

Usually I don't go in for that fluffy, electronic press kit stuff. But this video does a lot to show how much effort the production is putting into the reality of piloting a fighter jet.

Tom Cruise's fixation with doing as much for real as possible is well known by this point. And when it comes to this movie, I think his fixation will pay off in big ways.

Watched the original about a month ago and it's still a good movie. Yes, the photography is a big selling point. But this is a buddy movie. I like the camaraderie of the team and the way it builds towards a conclusion like any good sporting story would. Maverick is a good pilot but he doesn't come out clean. He suffers loss and very nearly walks away from it all.

This scene stood out for me because something similar happened to me recently:

Just magnificent atmosphere and emotion here. If you love something strongly you can also hate it with equal strength, and vice versa. It shows the power of walking away and having the attitude of 'if I get hit by a truck so be it'. A possible future in doubt and just about giving up on love and life.

Hoping the sequel does get released this year. Say what you want about Cruise, but his movies regularly deliver the goods.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 28 Apr  2021, 11:01
This scene stood out for me because something similar happened to me recently:

Congrats on that, TDK.

Heck, I sometimes forget all about this movie due to the numerous push backs.

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 30 Apr  2021, 18:10
Congrats on that, TDK.
As Patrick Bateman said in American Psycho, "I'm looking for a meaningful relationship with someone special." I'm feeling a lot more positive and excited about life. Things aren't bothering me as much anymore. I know how John felt about Yoko.

PS. I want a scene of someone being strangled to death with Take My Breath Away playing in the background. That can be in Top Gun 2 or something else, I'm pretty lenient about that.