Batman The Complete Animated Series Blu Ray set (2018)

Started by The Joker, Wed, 8 Aug 2018, 23:53

Previous topic - Next topic

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/batman/268100/batman-the-animated-series-blu-ray-release-date-and-special-features

Anyone else picking this up?

After the Amazon price drop from the initial $112.99 to $101.61, I finally bit and have the set pre-ordered. The fact that this set also includes the blu ray versions of "Mask of the Phantasm", and "Sub Zero" makes me even more glad I waited on buying those two. Which resulted in buying this set even more appealing.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Very torn. I love the goodies that come with it (including the two movies like you said) but that is a hell of an investment at least for someone like me. Considering the DC Universe thing will have the series in HD when it launches (and maybe Phantasm and SubZero too), I may have to skip on the set in favor of the subscription.

Question: will an XBOX 360 or XBOX One play Blu Ray? Or will I have to buy a dedicated Blu Ray Player too?

Am I the only one who thinks Sub-Zero is a major league dud?

Quote from: Catwoman on Thu,  9 Aug  2018, 20:11
Question: will an XBOX 360 or XBOX One play Blu Ray? Or will I have to buy a dedicated Blu Ray Player too?

Sony owns the Blu-Ray format, only their game systems have it. You'll have to buy a Blu-Ray player.

Quote from: GBglide on Fri, 10 Aug  2018, 00:35
Quote from: Catwoman on Thu,  9 Aug  2018, 20:11

Sony owns the Blu-Ray format, only their game systems have it. You'll have to buy a Blu-Ray player.

Well crap.

*mumbles something to herself about GBglide only being the messenger*

I guess that kinda makes my decision for me lol

Quote from: Catwoman on Thu,  9 Aug  2018, 20:11Considering the DC Universe thing will have the series in HD when it launches (and maybe Phantasm and SubZero too), I may have to skip on the set in favor of the subscription.

I hadn't considered the timing of the Blu-ray release in relation to the new subscription service. But is that why Warner Bros re-mastered B:TAS in high definition to begin with? Will all the TV shows on the streaming service that have been re-mastered for 1080p also be released on Blu-ray? Lois & Clark, for instance?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 10 Aug  2018, 21:52
Quote from: Catwoman on Thu,  9 Aug  2018, 20:11Considering the DC Universe thing will have the series in HD when it launches (and maybe Phantasm and SubZero too), I may have to skip on the set in favor of the subscription.

I hadn't considered the timing of the Blu-ray release in relation to the new subscription service. But is that why Warner Bros re-mastered B:TAS in high definition to begin with? Will all the TV shows on the streaming service that have been re-mastered for 1080p also be released on Blu-ray? Lois & Clark, for instance?
I thought Lois & Clark had the same problem as Buffy, the 90's Star Trek shows, Babylon 5, etc, where the masters are sourced at 640.

Not sure how familiar you are with this. But basically it was common in the 90's for shows to be shot on film and then transferred to video for post. Any HD release of those shows would require basically going back to the original negative and doing post production all over again. It's big bucks. Star Trek TNG was assumed to be worth it... except the HD releases didn't exactly break records.

I'm assuming the same thing would hold true for things like Lois & Clark, where the episodes would need to be started anew from the original footage and then put through post all over again. Doing so would "future-proof" the series, making home video releases easier to do going forward.

But it would cost probably millions of dollars to do it in the here and now and I assume that's not a cost most of these studios are prepared to absorb.

For absolute sure that's why there aren't HD editions of Babylon 5, DS9, etc. I assume this also applies to L&C.

But BTAS can probably be released in HD because they're just scanning animation cells into HD. That's probably oversimplifying it a bit but I doubt an animated series requires the same cost as the above shows.

If anybody has better information, consider this an invitation to correct me.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 10 Aug  2018, 21:52

Wouldn't it be completely counter productive to the Blu-Ray sales if the subscription has them available with so many other titles? I mean for instance it would take a lot more goodies than three mini POP figures and some art cards and so on to get me to buy the BTAS set when the service will have the series in hi-def and a lot more. If someone was really into Lois and Clark (enough to buy a Blu-Ray set), I assume they are Supes fans and I would have to believe the DCU would be the better alternative because of the other Superman stuff it will have.

I guess long term buying the individual sets would even out with the price of a subscription over multiple years, though. And then you still have the goodies. Plus if the service is a failure and doesn't stick around too long, the Blu Rays will be the better investment.

Ug, I don't know what to do.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu,  9 Aug  2018, 21:29

It doesn't measure up to Mask of the Phantasm, but only a couple Batman movies do (and I'd still probably put MOTP at the very top tbh). Standing by itself as a full length movie for an animated show, I think Sub-Zero was pretty good. I love the BTAS version of Mr. Freeze (the TNBA version was....no....I did like his swan song in Batman Beyond though).

MOTP cast a very, VERY long shadow, though. About the only animated movie I've seen that peeks out of it is Under the Red Hood.

Quote from: Catwoman on Sat, 11 Aug  2018, 04:31
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu,  9 Aug  2018, 21:29
It doesn't measure up to Mask of the Phantasm, but only a couple Batman movies do (and I'd still probably put MOTP at the very top tbh). Standing by itself as a full length movie for an animated show, I think Sub-Zero was pretty good. I love the BTAS version of Mr. Freeze (the TNBA version was....no....I did like his swan song in Batman Beyond though).

SubZero probably could've been a three part episode on the show instead of a standalone movie. But if you ignore how he was reimagined in TNBA, which I'm not a huge fan either, I thought the film was a fitting conclusion to Victor Fries's story. He spent his criminal career trying to save his wife Nora at all costs, and in the end, he takes comfort knowing Nora is alive and well, and moves on from his troubled past in peace.

I'd happily take SubZero over most live action Batman films, even DC's recent New 52-inspired solo Batman features, which I'd say are okay but not great.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Which organ did Mrs. Fries need? What was her blood type? And since Gotham City has a population somewhere in the millions so isn't it pretty unlikely that Babs is the only one possible donor? Speaking of Babs, didn't it occur to Mr. Freeze and his lackey to do a basic background check on her to find out if kidnapping her might be a kind of bad idea? This was all pretty unbelievable stuff and detracted from the film.

If other people enjoy Sub-Zero, good for them. Not trying to rain on their parade. But a lot of it doesn't work for me.

When it comes to Mr. Freeze on BTAS, Heart Of Ice is amazing... and that's where his story probably should've ended. His subsequent appearances tended to water down how amazing that episode was.