Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 31 Jul 2014, 17:11

Previous topic - Next topic
So can you buy this show on Blu-ray? I'm kinda nervous once it leaves Netflix, there will be no way of watching it.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 14 Apr  2020, 16:33
Bizarrely, Deborah Ann Woll has not landed any acting jobs since Daredevil season 3. I say 'bizarrely' because she was amazing in this show. She and Joanne Whalley both deserved some award recognition for their work on season 3, if only the major awards hadn't been so determined to ignore DD.

According to Woll:

Quote"I'm just really wondering whether I'll get to work again, whether anyone wants to work with me again, and whether I still have it, all of those scary things. And part of my brain goes, 'No, you're just being crazy, calm down.' But the part of me that loves [acting] and the problem with being an artist and an actor, and any of these professions where you put a piece of your soul into your work is that it becomes a part of your identity.

"If I'm not acting, I'm not sure who I am. And since it's been so long since I got to do it, I'm struggling a little bit with how to maintain my self-worth, my sense of my own value. . . . I haven't had an acting job since, and that's been really hard for me. So even before COVID kind of flipped the world on its head, I was struggling with this."
https://bleedingcool.com/tv/deborah-ann-woll-reveals-career-woes-post-daredevil-co-stars-respond/

Some of her co-stars have tweeted their support.

Her scene with D'Onofrio was one of the most intense moments in season 3. And that was largely down to Woll's performance.

It boggles my mind that she isn't getting more acting work. Hopefully Marvel will bring Deb back along with Charlie when they announce whatever they have in store for Daredevil. But even outside of her role as Karen, she should be getting more work.
That is weird. None of the cast members involved with Daredevil have anything to be ashamed of. They all did first rate work, and often under some pretty grueling conditions. You'd think there would be some kind of demand for all of them for other projects. Bizarre.

Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 14 Apr  2020, 16:59
So can you buy this show on Blu-ray? I'm kinda nervous once it leaves Netflix, there will be no way of watching it.

Unfortunately they've only released seasons 1 and 2 on Blu-ray. We're still waiting for The Defenders and Daredevil season 3. When it comes to their Marvel content, Netflix threw in the towel around 2017. After that, they put minimal effort in to promoting these shows and stopped releasing them on DVD/Blu-ray. I don't care about the Blu-rays of the other Marvel shows, but I want DDs3 and The Defenders for my Daredevil collection.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 14 Apr  2020, 17:10That is weird. None of the cast members involved with Daredevil have anything to be ashamed of. They all did first rate work, and often under some pretty grueling conditions. You'd think there would be some kind of demand for all of them for other projects. Bizarre.

It is really weird, but the legacy of season 3 has ended up being the opposite of what it should have been. The series should have been immediately renewed for a fourth season, garnered a ton of awards, and advanced the careers of everyone involved. Instead it got cancelled, was snubbed by every major award body, and has apparently stunted the career of at least one of its most talented contributors. Good work should be rewarded, not punished.

Only Bizarro could make sense of this.

This might explain why a lot of the cast members didn't get much acting work recently.

Source: https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/daredevil-charlie-cox-netflix-cancellation/

Quote from: Charlie Cox
I mean, we all thought we were going [to work on Season 4]. You know, I turned down jobs, 'cause I thought we were shooting and we were getting ready for it.

I had a brief conversation with [producers] Erik [Oleson] and Jeph [Loeb] about what was planned and that kind of sucks, 'cause I was really excited, you know, as we all were. It was a real shock. I don't know who's to blame, just, you know, because sometimes, politics, stuff happens, I probably don't to this day know what was going on behind the scenes.

It never drops because they did three seasons and they called it a day, which takes a lot of, I don't know, courage, talent, I don't know how that happens, because, you know, when something's really good there's always a hunger for it. But, I like to think that we ended on a massive high. Some people, some friends of mine who are fans of the show, described season three as our best. And, you know, I'll take that. I'd rather it be remembered as this great moment in time, that really kind of changed television, and you know, didn't descend into kind of ridiculousness.

You can definitely see Cox's commitment every time he plays Matt Murdock, both in terms of acting and stunts. He definitely saw the role as his biggest priority. I bet the other actors felt the same starring in Daredevil, so it's such a shame their commitment has gotten them less work - and out of work in some cases - because nobody warned them about the show's fate.

Still, Charlie did do some Broadway work together with Tom Hiddelston, aka Loki, and some fans came out in full support.

Quote from: Charlie Cox
We always had a joke about how many "Save Daredevil" T-shirts that would be in the audience each night. And, they'd often, these guys would come, and they'd often pick out the first two rows, and the curtain would go up. But, as the curtain would go up and I'd see a row of these red T-shirts, that say "Save Daredevil."

I have to speak in the first scene, I have the first lines. So, I see these people come, these shirts appearing, and I'd suddenly be like, like trying not to laugh, 'cause it meant the world to me, and I know it means the world to everyone involved in that show.

I agree with Cox that I'd rather the show go out on a high as it did. I wish Netflix did a fourth season, but I really do think the boardroom politics with Disney and their plans in unleashing their own streaming service at the time threw a spanner in the works. It's a shame, but I'd rather have Cox's tenure ending as it ended instead of watching him devolve into a shadow of his former self if Disney+ got a hold of him. Let another actor carry the burden starring as a Disneyfied Daredevil.

In the meantime, Cox is making himself quite comfortable at home while he watches the first season.  8)

Source: https://screenrant.com/netflix-daredevil-charlie-cox-wears-mask-rewatch/
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Originally, I lamented the loss of the Netflixverse in general and, more specifically, Charlie Cox as Daredevil. But in a show of total hypocrisy...

Unpopular opinion: I am now glad things ended. Yes, there was plenty of room to tell more stories. There's no denying that. But I look at goings on with other TV shows, especially the Arrowverse. And I can't help thinking the Arrowverse might be better regarded today if it had sunsetted a year or two ago. Yes, a lot of ambitious Arrowverse stories wouldn't exist. But a lot of Arrowverse cast members are completely disengaged from their characters these days. Either they're running out their contracts or else they're laughing all the way to the bank.

I would hate, hate, FREAKING HATE if things had ever devolved to that point with the Netflixverse. There's a lot to be said sometimes for getting out early. And right now, the Netflixverse may not be perfect but NOBODY can say it sucks. You have to respect what they achieved with a wide variety of mostly B-list characters. Three more seasons of Netflixverse shows and we might not be able to adopt such a rosy view of things.

I'm not happy that this happened. Don't get me wrong. I'm just saying I see some upsides.

There's a casting call out for an actress to appear in a Disney+ series that's scheduled to begin filming in the autumn.

Malia, deaf, athletic, Native American, needs to know sign language – it's got to be Maya Lopez/Echo, right? What other Marvel character comes close to that description? If this is for a Daredevil series, and they're looking for characters and storylines that weren't referenced in the Netflix show, then Echo would be an excellent place to start.

I just hope they're not shoehorning her into a non-Daredevil show (e.g. the new Hawkeye series) for the sake of diversity. I'd love to see Echo appear in a live action production, but I want her to appear with Daredevil. Marvel already wasted too many DD characters on other TV shows, none of which lived up to their potential. Hopefully that's not what's happening here.

Perhaps they could produce a new Defenders series, with Cox's Daredevil leading a team of young superheroes that includes Echo, Blindspot and White Tiger. That would tick all their diversity boxes while reintroducing Daredevil in a lighter, bigger budget show that would be more suitable for the MCU's target demographics. Just an idea.

I also think the time is ripe for Stilt-Man to make his live action debut. He wouldn't have worked with the dark, grounded atmosphere of the Netflix series, but considering the cool revamp he's recently undergone during Chip Zdarsky's DD run, I think he might work in a big budget Disney+ show.

Things being what they are, I imagine that it's for a project disconnected from Daredevil.

PROVE ME WRONG, DISNEY+!

One of my fan wishlists would be an episode-by-episode adaptation of the entire Bendis run. Nothing fancy, no Hollywood "creative adapting" (which Marvel is fast becoming infamous for) or any of that stuff. Just put the Bendis run as is onscreen. Throw in Echo too. (A) #DiversityIsOurStrength or something and (B) she really is an awesome character so hell yeah. White Tiger II, same thing.

It'll never happen but I can dream.

Corridor Crew looked at another Daredevil sequence in their latest Stuntmen React video. This time their guest is Gui DaSilva, whose impressive filmography includes performing Black Panther's stunts in the MCU and doubling for Rob Morgan in Daredevil. The DD discussion begins at the 4:37 mark.

It sounds like they might be getting Cox himself for a future episode. If they do, I'd love to hear his commentary on the prison fight in season 3.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 19 Jun  2020, 15:30One of my fan wishlists would be an episode-by-episode adaptation of the entire Bendis run. Nothing fancy, no Hollywood "creative adapting" (which Marvel is fast becoming infamous for) or any of that stuff. Just put the Bendis run as is onscreen. Throw in Echo too. (A) #DiversityIsOurStrength or something and (B) she really is an awesome character so hell yeah. White Tiger II, same thing.

It'll never happen but I can dream.

That's what should have happened. They covered Miller comprehensively in seasons 1-3. Bendis' run would have been the logical next step, allowing the characters and storyline to move in a fresh direction while maintaining tonal consistency with what came before. Alex Maleev's work influenced the look of the series, probably more than any other artist, and they already adapted aspects of Bendis' The Murdock Papers in season 3. I was hoping they'd delve even deeper into his work and eventually adapt the Out storyline. It would have been too early to do that in the first three seasons, but they could have done it from season 4 onwards.

Sun, 26 Jul 2020, 21:57 #228 Last Edit: Sun, 26 Jul 2020, 23:48 by The Laughing Fish
Peter Shinkoda, who played Nobu, has made some very startling accusations against Jeph Loeb for cutting out his character's story arc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/daredevil-show-jeph-loeb-racism-accusation-peter-shinkoda/amp/

You can watch his remarks around the 9:38 minute mark here.

Without getting into the subject that Shinkoda has addressed, I think it's too bad Nobu's arc got removed. I consider the second season the weakest of all three seasons: great for the first three or so episodes when the focus was on Punisher, but very so-so when it came to Elektra, Nobu and the Hand. Had they kept that original storyline for Nobu, maybe Season 2 would've been much better.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I've been wondering about this. And whether or not Shinkoda's accusations are true (I'll circle back to that in a minute), there are complications relating to Loeb that seem to go back to Day One of the Netflixverse. One obvious thing is that the MCU films have not really acknowledged the Netflix world. Why?

Well, it could very well be that there is/was some sort of conflict between Feige and Loeb. Feige was the undisputed leader of the MCU, everything he touched turned to gold and (right or wrong) he saw Loeb as an interloper or possible rival. Hollywood is full of back-stabbing weasels, as Geoff Johns amply demonstrates. Trusting the wrong person is a great way to get shivved in the back in that town. So all of this could've been a straight forward matter of Feige satisfying his own ego by not giving Loeb's work a bigger platform. It could be as simple as that.

But I've wondered if there wasn't something else going on.

It's pretty clear that Disney went into Damage Control Mode at some point, as might be expected if their crown jewel (Marvel) is experiencing internal problems. It might be that Feige didn't have the mojo to quash Loeb even tho Loeb richly deserves it, for this and for other problems he's had with other people. There are quite a lot of rumors out there about Loeb getting crosswise with somebody or another. Dude's made a lot of enemies over the years. His friends are unflinchingly loyal but I get the idea sometimes that his enemies wouldn't mind seeing him dead. Seriously, they seem to hate the guy that much.

Where does that kind of hatred come from?

To go back to Shinkoda's accusations of racism tho... look, normally I hate it when people claim this or that was racist. But what Shinkoda says seems to add up. The story additions he refers to would've improved that season. The business with Weaver was also weird. I got the impression that Gao was the leader of The Hand too so when Weaver made her big debut, it was a bit confusing. Rather than Gao being the undisputed leader, The Hand was governed by a "council". I'm willing to roll with that concept for a show but the comics have indicated that The Hand usually has a singular leader. This ain't no democracy. Or a republic. Or a committee.

The common element here is the racial element with those characters.

The theory doesn't completely add up. Colleen was a central figure in Iron Fist. Indeed, she's absolutely crucial to the final season. I might even say that season was too dependent upon her. So what's the deal? Does Loeb hate Japanese people but adore Chinese people? Does that make sense to ANYBODY?

But then, that season of Iron Fist could've been broken after Loeb had been taken out behind the wood shed. Loeb could've had virtually no say on how things played out. Indeed, that would explain a lot about that season. But who can say?

But from a 50,000 foot view, the racial thing puts goings on with the Netflixverse into a different context. Why would Feige, Marvel Studios and Disney want to "reward" Loeb by incorporating his ideas (and Loeb himself, by proxy if nothing else) into their work and risk the viability of the whole enterprise if Loeb's racial thing (A) comes to public attention and (B) can be proven as true?

In those circumstances, putting the kibosh on the entire Netflixverse and making it up to the rest of the cast and crew some other way might truly seem like the lesser evil under the circumstances. Because let's face it, nobody wants to reward or associate with someone who punishes other people because of their race. Yes yes yes, Hollyweird, things like that happen all the time. But that doesn't mean you just let it slide when you find out about it.

Sad state of affairs.