Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 31 Jul 2014, 17:11

Previous topic - Next topic
Mon, 18 Feb 2019, 18:45 #190 Last Edit: Mon, 18 Feb 2019, 18:47 by Silver Nemesis
A few days ago producer Jeph Loeb reiterated the possibility of the Netflix shows returning on another network:

Quote"I would not be surprised if any of those things reemerged. It depends on showrunner, it depends on availability of cast, all of those things. It's not like we're a doctor show where the show got canceled because of bad ratings. These are shows that have very different reasons [for ending], most of which I'm not at liberty to talk about, nor should anyone really care at the end of day."
https://heroichollywood.com/marvel-head-daredevil-luke-cage-revived/

Now, following the cancellation of The Punisher and Jessica Jones, Loeb and Marvel TV have issued the following statement:

QuoteIt had never been done before.

Four separate television series, each with different super-talented showrunners, writers, directors, cast and crew, coming out months apart and then...

...they would meet in a single event series all set in the heart of New York City.

We called them The Defenders.

And together we were thrilled by stories of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and even the Punisher joined in!

They said it couldn't be done.

But Marvel assembled amazing teams to write, produce, direct, edit, and score 13 seasons and 161 one-hour episodes.

Take a moment and go online and look at the dazzling list of actors, writers, directors, and musicians who graced us with the very best of their craft.

We loved each and every minute of it.

And we did it all for you -- the fans -- who cheered for us around the world and made all the hard work worth it.

So, Thank You!

On behalf of everyone at Marvel Television, we couldn't be more proud or more grateful to our audience.

Our Network partner may have decided they no longer want to continue telling the tales of these great characters... but you know Marvel better than that.

As Matthew Murdock's Dad once said, "The measure of a man is not how he gets knocked to the mat, it's how he gets back up."

To be continued...!

- Jeph Loeb and all of us at Marvel Television
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/a-letter-to-marvel-television-fans-from-jeph-loeb

It sure sounds like they've got something in the pipeline. :)

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 18 Feb  2019, 18:45
A few days ago producer Jeph Loeb reiterated the possibility of the Netflix shows returning on another network:

Quote"I would not be surprised if any of those things reemerged. It depends on showrunner, it depends on availability of cast, all of those things. It's not like we're a doctor show where the show got canceled because of bad ratings. These are shows that have very different reasons [for ending], most of which I'm not at liberty to talk about, nor should anyone really care at the end of day."
https://heroichollywood.com/marvel-head-daredevil-luke-cage-revived/

Now, following the cancellation of The Punisher and Jessica Jones, Loeb and Marvel TV have issued the following statement:

QuoteIt had never been done before.

Four separate television series, each with different super-talented showrunners, writers, directors, cast and crew, coming out months apart and then...

...they would meet in a single event series all set in the heart of New York City.

We called them The Defenders.

And together we were thrilled by stories of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and even the Punisher joined in!

They said it couldn't be done.

But Marvel assembled amazing teams to write, produce, direct, edit, and score 13 seasons and 161 one-hour episodes.

Take a moment and go online and look at the dazzling list of actors, writers, directors, and musicians who graced us with the very best of their craft.

We loved each and every minute of it.

And we did it all for you -- the fans -- who cheered for us around the world and made all the hard work worth it.

So, Thank You!

On behalf of everyone at Marvel Television, we couldn't be more proud or more grateful to our audience.

Our Network partner may have decided they no longer want to continue telling the tales of these great characters... but you know Marvel better than that.

As Matthew Murdock's Dad once said, "The measure of a man is not how he gets knocked to the mat, it's how he gets back up."

To be continued...!

- Jeph Loeb and all of us at Marvel Television
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/a-letter-to-marvel-television-fans-from-jeph-loeb

It sure sounds like they've got something in the pipeline. :)
At the very least just bring Daredevil back. I didn't watch the other shows, and don't intend to but I really enjoyed Daredevil. I'm currently watching season 3 for the first time, and it's pretty good. Better than season 2 so far.

Quote from: Jeph Loeb By Way Of Silver Nemesis on Mon, 18 Feb  2019, 18:45
"I would not be surprised if any of those things reemerged. It depends on showrunner, it depends on availability of cast, all of those things. It's not like we're a doctor show where the show got canceled because of bad ratings. These are shows that have very different reasons [for ending], most of which I'm not at liberty to talk about, nor should anyone really care at the end of day."
This is a pretty loaded quote. And it goes a long way toward explaining that ratings, social media impressions and other things aren't the primary factors in the various cancellations.

That should've been obvious from the jump but there was always the chance that lack of success figured into this. But if that was the case, nobody would hesitate to say so. It wouldn't be a big deal. Because it wasn't a big deal when cherished-but-unsuccessful shows like Veronica Mars, Heroes, Jericho and others got canned for low ratings.

The fact that Loeb isn't at liberty to talk about this stuff and that he makes a point of saying that he's not at liberty to talk about this stuff suggests that these cancellations were never primarily about ratings. Something else is going on.

The #SaveDaredevil campaigners have erected revolving billboards in Times Square! Our cause is gaining momentum! ;D

I think it'll be okay in the end. This heightens public awareness and that's a good thing. But I don't think anybody needs convincing that the show is worth saving.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun, 24 Feb  2019, 02:58
The #SaveDaredevil campaigners have erected revolving billboards in Times Square! Our cause is gaining momentum! ;D

Just saw this and signed the petition. Fingers crossed!

I saw this picture of a Daredevil cosplayer online. Can you decode what the message is saying?  ;D

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Took forever to figure it out. That's really funny.

F*** Disney.

Rewatched the hallway fight from season 01. Even now, this is one of my favorite combat sequences ever. And a big part of why it works for me is how Daredevil handles himself. We're talking about five minutes of virtually non-stop leather. Even pro boxers don't do that during their fights. Here, Murdock is winded and seriously running out of gas. And that's how it is with any fight. If you're lucky, your stamina will hold up for thirty seconds. After that, if you're not praying, you better get started.

In movies and shows, usually somebody fights, like, twelve guys and walks away five minutes later without even having to catch his breath. But in the hallway fight, it's easy for me to believe that Murdock would've been done in for the entire next day. He takes some damage in the fight, sure. But the great majority of his weariness at the end of the fight comes from the sheer physical exertion of trading punches for five minutes.

I could quibble over the fight and see that cartwheel/dropkick/whatever was an unnecessary expenditure of energy when he REALLY needed to be conserving whatever he has left. But that's small potatoes, really. In the big picture, this is probably one of the most credible fight sequences in history. Yeah, you still have to believe an unarmed man defeated multiple opponents, some of whom were armed. But that shouldn't be a big hurdle for you if you can believe in "radar sense".

For me, the real tragedy of the death of the Netflixverse is that we probably won't see credible battles like this again, at least not any time soon. Putting aside how amazing Cox is in the role, I really enjoy the tone of the Netflixverse.

What a shame.

That fight scene is a masterpiece of choreography. Not just by TV standards, but by any standard. I've seen some people online criticise it for showing Daredevil struggling against ordinary goons, but context is key. Firstly this was rookie Daredevil, and he wasn't as tough or skilled as he became later on. Secondly he was already exhausted at the start of the fight and was suffering from a stab wound, a concussion, multiple damaged ribs and a partially deflated lung – and he still won the fight. I love the one-take sequences in seasons 2 and 3 as well, but the first one will always hold a special place in my heart. If it wasn't already clear from the first episode that this show was something special, then the second episode really hammered the point home.

Each fight scene in this series has its own narrative in which the choreography tells a story. A good example of this is the sequence in season 2 where Daredevil is hunting the Hand through the tunnels beneath New York. Almost the entire sequence is told through visuals and sound effects. There's a bit of dialogue from Stick towards the end, but other than that there's no talking. This is pure cinematic storytelling.

Anyway, here's a quick roundup of Daredevil news from the past few months.

Firstly there was an auction back in March where Marvel sold off lots of the props from their Netflix shows, including the Daredevil suit:
https://io9.gizmodo.com/when-marvel-starts-selling-off-props-its-time-to-reall-1833466524

In April IndieWire reported an inside source claiming the reason we haven't heard anything concrete about the future of the Netflix shows is that the contracts between Marvel and Netflix – the ones stipulating the two-year hiatus following the cancelations – mean Marvel can't even talk about bringing these characters back for two years. The article seems to imply Netflix may have threatened Marvel with litigation if they broke this agreement. If true, this would explain why no one's confirmed whether or not the shows are coming back. It would also suggest that we're not going to hear anything about Daredevil returning until next year at the earliest. Here's the original article:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/disney-new-daredevil-jessica-jones-series-delay-1202127577/

And just last week, D'Onofrio stated that Daredevil has not technically been cancelled:

QuoteIt kind of left us all in this uninformed, weird place. You ask any actor on this show if they want to do it again if they had the chance and they're going to say yes, because the experience was so fun and inventive, and the characters are so strong.

I feel the same way as everybody involved, not just the actors but the crew, and even Jeph Loeb over at Marvel, we miss it, we want to do that show.

I think the writers, the producers, and the actors really got it right in the third season, and it's weird because it's not like when a show gets cancelled because it didn't really get cancelled. It's just that Netflix and Disney just kind of stopped it from happening, I guess because of deals they're making for the future.

[Daredevil is] a show that's always going to be close to my heart because of all the people involved, and if they asked me to do it again I most certainly would.

I feel like the show is not on the air but it never got cancelled, which is odd, it's a unique feeling to this business.

He also voiced his support for the fans campaigning for the show's return:

QuoteI supported them like crazy on Twitter and I know that Charlie [Cox, who plays Daredevil] does, I think most of the cast members do support it.

I mean how could you not support these fans who love the show? It would be weird to not contribute in some way so to give my support and let them know that I hear them, and agree with them, is an important thing to do, and something that I wanted to do. I support them 100 per cent.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7102765/Daredevil-EXCLUSIVE-Vincent-DOnofrio-says-cast-uninformed-weird-place-cancellation.html

I still think it'll be revived on Hulu. I reckon we'll hear an announcement at the end of 2020, then hopefully it'll be back on our screens in summer 2021. And if it does come back, I think they should change the title to distinguish it from the Netflix show. Call it Daredevil Returns or The Man Without Fear.

One last bit of news is that Daredevil is going to be a playable character in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, which comes out for the Nintendo Switch next month. And judging from the trailers, his character model has taken some visual cues from the Charlie Cox version.