The next Batman

Started by Edd Grayson, Fri, 12 Jul 2013, 04:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 23 Jul  2013, 16:45Google says he's 6'.  IMDB says he's 5'11 1/2.  Speaking for myself, I've seen Bomer in person and think he's probably closer to your 5'10" info, but it was from a distance, so who knows.
I've never seen the guy; I've just talked to people who have and that's what they said. Otherwise, he's a solid actor.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 23 Jul  2013, 16:45The casting of Cavill as Superman will definitely affect the casting of Batman, I think.  You don't really want one to be noticeably towering over the other.  Yes, there are camera tricks to conceal that, but I'd prefer whoever they cast to be of relatively equal stature.  Even if Bomer is only an inch or two shorter than Cavill, his build is definitely smaller.  Same goes for Matthew Goode.
Agreed, one should approximate the other. I think Cavill's 6'2" or thereabouts. Surely it's not too hard to find an actor of roughly equivalent stature in Hollywood. Still, Snyder's got his work cut out for him no matter his height. Batman isn't an easy role to cast.

I've seen Bomer's name banded about a bit on other forums.

Seems like a nice guy. He was in the running for Superman before Routh got it - so it might be cool to see him get the role of Bats.

Some rumours circulating that Tyler Hoechlin could be in the frame for the role of Batman.

Interesting.  I could definitely see him in role.

I just did a google search since I'm not too familiar with the actor and I've noted that if this rumour is true this won't be the first graphic-novel/comic-book adaptation Tyler Hoechlin has appeared in.  He also played Tom Hanks' son in the brilliant 'Road to Perdition'.  In view of that film's ending, where Hanks' character makes sure his son is not responsible for taking another man's life thus ensuring that his soul remains clean, this potential casting may take on an air of poignancy bearing in mind Batman's 'no kill' policy.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Going from an Oscar-winner like Bale to one of the stars of Teen Wolf would be a drop-down in my book.

He might have the looks to pull off the role but can he act ? Bruce Wayne ain't an easy role to pull off.
"Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread."

Quote from: Batman88 on Wed, 24 Jul  2013, 13:08
Going from an Oscar-winner like Bale to one of the stars of Teen Wolf would be a drop-down in my book.

He might have the looks to pull off the role but can he act ? Bruce Wayne ain't an easy role to pull off.
Let's be fair here.  I've always been a big fan of Bale from 'Empire of the Sun' (one of Spielberg's best and most underrated films IMHO) onwards but immediately prior to 'Batman Begins' his only adult acting role of significant note was 'American Psycho' (and 'The Machinist' but I believe that was being filmed after he had won the Batman part).  His parts in 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' and 'Reign of Fire' hardly set the world alight, and he only won his first Oscar after 'TDK'.

Also, who is Henry Cavill outside 'MOS'?  I hope and suspect his career will get a big boost following the film's success but he's hardly a major name at the moment.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Casting discussions amuse me. You'll never please anyone. We have no say anyway on who they cast. All we can do is hope the guy they choose will be a great actor. I would never rule anybody out for any reason. The fact the guy was in "Teen Wolf" is nothing to be too concerned about. Keaton was in "Mr Mom"! (A film which I do actually get a kick out of simply cos he's in it). Haven't fans learned anything from the Michael Keaton controversy days on Nineteen hundred and eight? Expect the unexpected and you never know, greatness might spark twice over.

Batman's casting has always interested me as unlike most super hero parts pretty well known actors tend to inherit the character. Keaton was well known for things like his comedic background but also "Clean and Sober" and then of course the success of "Beetlejuice". As a kid I knew instantly who Val Kilmer was prior to seeing "Batman Forever" having watched the excellent "Tombstone". George Clooney speaks for himself. Although Christian Bale was quite well known I personally didn't have a clue who he was at first. I hadn't yet seen "Empire of the Sun". But he looked fantastic in "Batman Begins" preview pics and that was all I needed to see how good he was going to be.

This time however I believe it may go to a virtual unknown. And perhaps that will be an interesting way to do it this time. What bother's me about this Tyler bloke is that he looks quite similar facially to Bale. Perhaps story wise they want this, we'll see. I'm not very keen however. I'd like a distinctly different look. Also the fact Snyder is the one to cast him. Does this mean Snyder will also be the director of future Batman movies? I'd rather that responsibility went to the future production crew if it's otherwise. They will be the ones working with him after all. This is one reason why I believe it'd be far better to establish the new Batman in his own movie and then team him with Superman. Unfortunately this now won't be the case. I'm not too happy to hear Synder will continue on Superman let alone potentially be the successor to Christopher Nolan or perhaps just to establish that new world. There must be somebody better surely.

Quote from: Batman88 on Wed, 24 Jul  2013, 13:08Going from an Oscar-winner like Bale to one of the stars of Teen Wolf would be a drop-down in my book.
I know what you mean. Just imagine how some of us felt back in 2004 (seven years before Bale won an Oscar as a supporting actor) when we discovered that Keaton's successor was going to be the kid from Newsies.

Quote from: Batman88 on Wed, 24 Jul  2013, 13:08He might have the looks to pull off the role but can he act ? Bruce Wayne ain't an easy role to pull off.
I dunno about that, Bale won awards for sleeping through it in 2008.

I like Bale as an actor but he just wasn't my Batman. Michael Keaton, Adam West and Val Kilmer were all better than him for me.

West, Keaton and Conroy are the best in my opinion. I still see the value in what the other folks did. After those three I'd probably list Bale.