The next Batman

Started by Edd Grayson, Fri, 12 Jul 2013, 04:51

Previous topic - Next topic
With the latest announcement that the new Batman will be making his debut in the Man of Steel sequel in 2015, this likely means that we'll know who the new Batman is by the end of the year, with production going on through next year to make the release date on time.

Exciting times!
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Sat, 20 Jul  2013, 21:56
With the latest announcement that the new Batman will be making his debut in the Man of Steel sequel in 2015, this likely means that we'll know who the new Batman is by the end of the year, with production going on through next year to make the release date on time.

Exciting times!
Agreed.  The casting of a new Batman is always exciting.  Any ideas who should be picked?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I've got no ideas casting wise. I'll just roll with whoever is chosen.

This Batman universe has the potential to be the richest of all the live action incarnations. Dealing with Superman and possibly other comic heroes.  His strong opinions coming to the fore as well as his skill sets. Think Tower of Babel stuff. And having his own Gotham City adventures. I'm optimistic. 

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 21 Jul  2013, 10:14
Quote from: BatmAngelus on Sat, 20 Jul  2013, 21:56

Exciting times!
Agreed.  The casting of a new Batman is always exciting.  Any ideas who should be picked?

Like I said in another thread, if they had to go after a somewhat known actor, then perhaps they could do worse than Karl Urban; Dredd is unlikely to get any sequels any time soon. But I still prefer someone who is unknown.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I think it's likely that they will consider candidates who were previously up for Superman in Man of Steel:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/henry-cavill-beat-matthew-goode-94438
QuoteWarners and Nolan auditioned actors in Los Angeles, New York, and London in November and December, with someone in the 28- to 32-year-old range as the ideal candidate. In addition to Cavill and [Matthew] Goode, among those who met or were under consideration were White Collar star Matthew Bomer, Social Network's Winkelvoss twins Armie Hammer, True Blood actor Joe Manganiello (scheduling with the HBO show was a factor) and Colin O'Donoghue, who stars opposite Anthony Hopkins in The Rite
Currently, Matthew Goode and Matt Bomer are both 35, Hammer is 26, Manganiello is 36, and O'Donoghue is 32.  (Cavill is in the middle of the age range at 30).  I'm not saying it'll be one of these five guys, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Batman actor is in a similar age range (or that Snyder and Warner Brothers are reviewing the list of people they're familiar with right now).
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I was a big cheerleader for Manganiello as Superman for MOS. If he were to be Batman... eh. I see a lot of up sides but shouldn't they cast some of these roles a bit younger to make this stuff more franchise-friendly? Then again, Downey is no spring chicken and he carried the MCU for a while there. So hmm...

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 21 Jul  2013, 11:15
I've got no ideas casting wise. I'll just roll with whoever is chosen.

This Batman universe has the potential to be the richest of all the live action incarnations. Dealing with Superman and possibly other comic heroes.  His strong opinions coming to the fore as well as his skill sets. Think Tower of Babel stuff. And having his own Gotham City adventures. I'm optimistic.

I'm on your page. ;)
"Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread."

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 23 Jul  2013, 05:34Currently, Matthew Goode and Matt Bomer are both 35, Hammer is 26, Manganiello is 36, and O'Donoghue is 32.  (Cavill is in the middle of the age range at 30).  I'm not saying it'll be one of these five guys, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Batman actor is in a similar age range (or that Snyder and Warner Brothers are reviewing the list of people they're familiar with right now).
My understanding that Bomer was relatively shrimpy. Read that he's about 5'10" or so. Assuming that's true, can't we do better than that?

Off-topic - Am I crazy, or does this chick have a somewhat slight resemblance to Harley Quinn?

...I'll get my coat.  :-[
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 23 Jul  2013, 11:29
Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 23 Jul  2013, 05:34Currently, Matthew Goode and Matt Bomer are both 35, Hammer is 26, Manganiello is 36, and O'Donoghue is 32.  (Cavill is in the middle of the age range at 30).  I'm not saying it'll be one of these five guys, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Batman actor is in a similar age range (or that Snyder and Warner Brothers are reviewing the list of people they're familiar with right now).
My understanding that Bomer was relatively shrimpy. Read that he's about 5'10" or so. Assuming that's true, can't we do better than that?

Google says he's 6'.  IMDB says he's 5'11 1/2.  Speaking for myself, I've seen Bomer in person and think he's probably closer to your 5'10" info, but it was from a distance, so who knows.

The casting of Cavill as Superman will definitely affect the casting of Batman, I think.  You don't really want one to be noticeably towering over the other.  Yes, there are camera tricks to conceal that, but I'd prefer whoever they cast to be of relatively equal stature.  Even if Bomer is only an inch or two shorter than Cavill, his build is definitely smaller.  Same goes for Matthew Goode.