Paul Reubens as Penguin's father

Started by johnnygobbs, Sun, 11 Oct 2015, 23:00

Previous topic - Next topic
I suppose everyone has seen the news.

Paul Reubens will be once again playing the Penguin's father, this time on "Gotham".

This is excellent news and demonstrates that the showrunners are paying some reverence to the Burton movies.

Who else from the earlier Batman movies should be brought back to play a part in "Gotham"?  Any suggestions?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I would love Michelle Pfeiffer to be related to this Selina Kyle.  :)

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 11 Oct  2015, 23:00I suppose everyone has seen the news.

Paul Reubens will be once again playing the Penguin's father, this time on "Gotham".

This is excellent news and demonstrates that the showrunners are paying some reverence to the Burton movies.

Who else from the earlier Batman movies should be brought back to play a part in "Gotham"?  Any suggestions?
I thought they were doing that before this. There seems to be a few nods to that.

God bless you! God bless everyone in your life!

Bring back Robert Whul as Alexander Knox!!
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

When I first heard that a "Batman Returns actor" would be reprising his part in Gotham, I honestly thought maybe it'd be Michael Murphy playing the next Mayor. But this is way better.

Taylor arguably looks more like he could pass for Reubens's son than DeVito, so the casting makes sense.

I'm curious if he'll still be named Tucker (in this case Tucker Kapelput?) and if they'll make him look like his Batman Returns counterpart.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I agree about Taylor passing more as Reubens' son, but it has to be said that Gotham's Penguin is still a lot more normal-looking than the Batman Returns version, so DeVito really couldn't pass as his son with that makeup.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Mon, 12 Oct  2015, 19:24
I agree about Taylor passing more as Reubens' son, but it has to be said that Gotham's Penguin is still a lot more normal-looking than the Batman Returns version, so DeVito really couldn't pass as his son with that makeup.
;D  Agreed.  I don't think DeVito's mutant Oswald was really meant to resemble anyone else, was he?

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Mon, 12 Oct  2015, 16:20
When I first heard that a "Batman Returns actor" would be reprising his part in Gotham, I honestly thought maybe it'd be Michael Murphy playing the next Mayor. But this is way better.

Taylor arguably looks more like he could pass for Reubens's son than DeVito, so the casting makes sense.

I'm curious if he'll still be named Tucker (in this case Tucker Kapelput?) and if they'll make him look like his Batman Returns counterpart.
'Kapelput' sounds like an Eastern European name, and Mrs Kapelput definitely doesn't sound US born-and-bred, so I'm assuming Kapulput Senior is also foreign.  That being the case, I don't think 'Tucker' would fit the character.  It's a very North American first name.

As for your first point, I'd love to see Michael Murphy appear in "Gotham".  But doesn't "Gotham" already have a mayor?

The show should also find room for Diane Salinger (Esther Cobblepot in Batman Returns) even if Carol Kane is Mrs Kapelput, Andrew Bryniarski, Cristi Conaway, maybe Danny DeVito who occasionally does TV, and perhaps Michelle Pfeiffer ideally as Selina's estranged mother, since everyone I know points out how much Camren Bicondova looks like Pfeiffer.

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Mon, 12 Oct  2015, 15:50
Bring back Robert Whul as Alexander Knox!!

I would love to see that also.  :)

Even without makeup, Taylor looks closer to being related to Reubens than Devito.

As for Oswald's dad, I get the impression that he and Gertrude are estranged, since the lady was openly flirting with Maroni last season and the father isn't living with her in her apartment. Perhaps Oswald's father isn't even a "Cobblepot" or "Kapelput" and Oswald's been using the Anglicized version of his mother's name. I look forward to seeing what they have in store.

One thing's for certain: he's still alive, in contrast to the Batman Returns version as well as the comic book origin in which Oswald's father dies from pneumonia, which leads Mrs. Cobblepot to insist on having him carry an umbrella all the time.

QuoteBut doesn't "Gotham" already have a mayor?
He "disappeared" after the Season 2 villain kidnapped him. There's currently a storyline where people are trying to run for Mayor. Murphy could've easily played the male candidate last night.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...