after years of watching this movie, something finally hit me

Started by Catwoman, Sat, 18 Oct 2014, 02:01

Previous topic - Next topic
Max Shreck and some of the other people in Batman Returns kind of remind me of Dr. Seuss characters. The whole movie looks and feels like a dark version of a Dr. Seuss story in my humble opinion.

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Mon, 17 Nov  2014, 02:51
Max Shreck and some of the other people in Batman Returns kind of remind me of Dr. Seuss characters. The whole movie looks and feels like a dark version of a Dr. Seuss story in my humble opinion.
It's basically 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' with DeVito as The Grinch.  And far superior to the official 2000 version of that DR Seuss book IMHO.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I wasn't even thinking of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" specifically although I do see your point. Batman Returns just reminds me so much of Dr. Seuss' stories although much darker.

Also, Gotham seems like a fantasy world all on it's own with little to do with the real world at all.

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Mon, 17 Nov  2014, 05:10
I wasn't even thinking of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" specifically although I do see your point. Batman Returns just reminds me so much of Dr. Seuss' stories although much darker.

Also, Gotham seems like a fantasy world all on it's own with little to do with the real world at all.
I kind of see this Gotham as a self-contained world like Whoville, contained within a snowglobe.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Still though there are some real life references that kind of attach Gotham to something resembling the real world. Like the references to Richard Nixon, Spiro Agnew, Ted Bundy and the movie "Psycho." I'm not under any illusions that there isn't a world outside of Gotham but I kind of like the idea anyway. But then Christmas didn't originate in Gotham or Whoville so maybe I'm thinking about it too hard.