Casting sequels for the current franchise

Started by johnnygobbs, Sat, 4 Apr 2009, 12:06

Previous topic - Next topic
(Should've ask this earlier)

Johnnygobbs, why do you have Batgirl as one of the characters for a TDK sequel? She'd be around age eight if the film's time line is the same as the previous Nolan films. (Besides, Bruce would most likely adopt Dick Grayson around this time)

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sat, 16 May  2009, 18:53
(Should've ask this earlier)

Johnnygobbs, why do you have Batgirl as one of the characters for a TDK sequel? She'd be around age eight if the film's time line is the same as the previous Nolan films. (Besides, Bruce would most likely adopt Dick Grayson around this time)

Yeah, you're right.  I kinda wish Nolan had made Gordon's daughter older in his movies so that it would be possible to introduce the character later down the line.  Maybe, he has another daughter who's away at school or something.

Also, where did the son come from?  I reckon they should kill the boy and Mrs Gordon off in the next movie, so it creates an early trauma for Barbara Gordon to deal with later on (if and when she becomes Batgirl).

I also would rather they introduced Batgirl instead of Robin in any sequels.  She's a much cooler character.  Robin just plain sucks. ;D
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 17 May  2009, 01:48
I also would rather they introduced Batgirl instead of Robin in any sequels.  She's a much cooler character.  Robin just plain sucks. ;D

Which Robin are you talking about (there has been three of them)?

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sun, 17 May  2009, 01:50
Which Robin are you talking about (there has been three of them)?

All of them.  Ha!

No, I was being little harsh before - I don't really hate Robin.  I just don't think he really adds much to the Batman mythos. 

At least Batman's relationship with Batgirl (as in the comics not the Schumacher debacle) was plausible - Barbara Gordon looks up to Batman and attempts to emulate her hero by becoming Batgirl.  Whereas I could never really buy the whole idea of Bruce Wayne being Dick Grayson's guardian - I thought their relationship was too contrived.  As a few posters on this site have remarked, Robin was created as a companion for Batman simply to give someone for him to talk with (i.e. an expository device).  As soon as Alfred was introduced 3 years later, Robin's role became redundant.

Actually, I quite like Carrie Kelly as 'Robin' if they have to introduce the character (doubtful) and Empire Magazine's choice of Ellen Page to play her is a reasonable one.

Looking at the Batman/Detective comics (starting with the O'Neil/Adams run) I don't see Robin's role in the Batman mythos as unnecessary (mostly referring to Dick Grayson). He's a reflection of what Bruce went through during his lifetime, & one of the reasons why Batman doesn't completely lose his sanity. And maybe it's also because I love reading stories about tragic characters.

BTW johnnygobbs, I'm glad you gave an elaborate reason on why you dislike the role of the Robins. I get sick of people giving answers like, "rObIn iS gAy", or some other nonsense. I appreciate it. 8)

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sun, 17 May  2009, 02:33
Looking at the Batman/Detective comics (starting with the O'Neil/Adams run) I don't see Robin's role in the Batman mythos as unnecessary (mostly referring to Dick Grayson). He's a reflection of what Bruce went through during his lifetime, & one of the reasons why Batman doesn't completely lose his sanity. And maybe it's also because I love reading stories about tragic characters.

I definitely think that if Robin can be considered to serve a useful purpose at all, you have hit the nail on the head.  Robin's tragedy reflects the same experience Batman went through as a child.  In fact this story strand was in my opinion one of the few elements I felt Batman Forever really got right, especially as Batman watches as Robin essentially condemns himself to the same life as himself (i.e. one consumed with justice and revenge).

I certainly think there is scope to make Robin a worthwhile character, I just think that Batman generally works better as a lone vigilante.

I also agree that Batman has to be a lone vigilante for a while in the movies. Until a trilogy is completed, in the very least. The only "sidekick" I could accept is his close relationship with Fox (and Gordon), or if Catwoman at some point temporarily allies with him.

QuoteHe's a reflection of what Bruce went through during his lifetime, & one of the reasons why Batman doesn't completely lose his sanity.

Well said, but... If some of us had a say on what kind of characters would surround Batman, well, a WOMAN would save Batman from insanity, not a BOY in a lame outfit that leads to other thoughts ;D And what kind of man would put a young boy in danger, while an adult woman takes her own resposibility for herself.

(see Stiletto, Darksheer's sidekick in Noctropolis, a 90's adventure game with a comic book character inspired by Batman http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/Noctropolis/Noctropolis.shtm )

Hey, no offense and I perfectly see your point, I just always had a strong dislike for Robin, although I realize his historical importance in the Batman comics, longevity and mythos. I know very well that the Batman audience is not made from some of us Robin-discarders, but I needed to say it somewhere  :)