Why Not Just Bring Back Batman: The Animated Series?

Started by lifesabitch, Thu, 25 Jul 2013, 04:15

Previous topic - Next topic
Just cut the crap and bring back what everyone wants! What's the problem?!

good question. btas ended 15 years ago so maybe they could do a series that is a bridge between the events of btas and batman beyond, more than just what return of the joker was.

Like the Ice Cat Princess Woman says, it's been 15 years. Would everyone still be on their A-game? It's hard to imagine Conroy not doing an awesome Batman but what about everyone else?

they are older and feebler, they don't have to be on their a-game lol

I say a big no to continuing this series.

I love BTAS and Batman Beyond. It is pretty much perfect. But it had its time in the sun. Move on.

Treasure what we have. There'e plenty of it.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 25 Jul  2013, 09:28I say a big no to continuing this series.

I love BTAS and Batman Beyond. It is pretty much perfect. But it had its time in the sun. Move on.

Treasure what we have. There'e plenty of it.
This only just occurred to me but for some reason I had to read your post for it to really filter through.

What I think people want is more of what we already have. But if the same cast and crew came back, would we get more of it? BTAS has a pretty distinctive look but does anybody think that it would continue if it resumed today? Frankly, I think it far more likely that BTAS today would look like yet another El Cheapo animated series with CGI rendering rather than traditional hand/cell animation. I'd rather BTAS end where it is and stay on top rather than be yet another cheap ass-looking CG animated series. We have plenty of those already.

Besides, Conroy doesn't sound like he can do that low voice anymore if the recent animated movies and video games are anything to go by.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Every generation gets the Batman they deserve. In the 90s, we were spoiled. The BTAS guys, and gals, got into a rhythm and produced gold. They gave it their all and that's all you can ask for. Wanting more is the feeling you should have from any half descent product. Coming back 20 or so years later just wouldn't feel right. You cannot beat the back in the day charm. For example, it's been only a few years since TDK Rises, and that ship has already sailed. Momentum is a powerful thing.

The other thing that people tend to forget is just what a slowburn BTAS fandom was. Most people thought it was going to be typical (for the time) Saturday morning-type fare. BTAS probably aired 30 or so episodes before people began realizing this series was something more ambitious than possibly even the creators originally imagined. And hell, even after they really got going, it'd be a big mistake to assume that every episode was an instant classic ("I've Got Batman In My Basement," I'm looking right at you). I don't even think Heart of Ice immediately received the acclaim it now enjoys.

My point is that BTAS could meet (if not exceed) everybody's expectations back in 1992. But imagine the original crew getting back together today and the expectations all of us would have. They're only mortal and something tells me they could produce a show of a similar caliber to the original but get nothing but grief over it because it doesn't line up with what people expect of them. But what if they make a show that's just mediocre?

I have to agree with colors, if anyone decides to continue a classic like B:TAS today after years of inferior shows, the expectations from all of us and the new audience would be too high.