James Gunn trashes Burton's Batman

Started by The Laughing Fish, Mon, 28 Aug 2023, 12:31

Previous topic - Next topic
From what I can see, this was taken eleven years ago, presumably from Facebook. It seems legitimate. Gunn has a notorious habit of running off his mouth on social media, and making highly questionable comments online, to say the least.

I wouldn't take it personally. The fact this POS scumbag "joked" about abusing women and children discredits any opinion he has.

Besides, he has absolutely no right to dismiss other directors' filmograpjy when he makes garbage like GOTG Vol. 2 and The Suicide Squad.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Okay, F this guy. I realize being a loudmouth is his brand. But he needs to respect the people who paved the way for him. Gunn wouldn't have his job today if Burton did have a job in 1989.

I've long suspected that Gunn was a member of the 'Fandom Menace'. It appears I'm right. Too much a fan and not enough of a filmmaker. Mark my works, that will spell the end for him at DC.

There is video evidence showing Gunn had posted those Facebook comments back in April 2012. Unsurprisingly, it's alleged these comments are now deleted.

https://twitter.com/ItsJustN1ck/status/1696207226128465990

In that Facebook thread, he gave Returns faint praise by calling it "a messy but a much more fun (and better) film". Knowing that creepy f***er, he probably liked it better than B89 for all the wrong reasons, such as Penguin making bad sexual puns.

Judging by Gunn's disdain for Keaton's Batman voice, he probably doesn't like his performance either. It wouldn't surprise me if his mandated Flash ending with Clooney was his petty way of kicking Keaton's future prospects out of DC Studios. Therefore, undoing the work by Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy's desire of keeping not only Keaton, but also Calle, Cavill, Gadot and Affleck with their reshot ending for The Flash.

Gunn, being the arrogant piece of filth he is, might've thought hyping The Flash up as a one of the best films of the genre and having Clooney's replacement of Keaton in the end for a joke was gonna resonate with wider audiences.

He was dead wrong.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

There was another comment by Gunn arrogantly saying Batman & Robin is a better movie than B89. According to him, it's an absolute fact because he says so.

Here is another screenshot of Gunn responding to a fan on Instagram about Keaton's status in The Flash. As you can tell, this was taken before the movie came out.

Sure, Jimmy. You wouldn't dare to try and spend millions of more dollars to reshoot the entire film and kick Keaton out. Instead, you just replaced his ending scenes and had his character stay dead. Makes the Clooney cameo look even more distasteful in this context.

Gunn is such an asshole.

The DCU is going to be a dumpster fire.

Batman 89 is one of my absolutely favorite films, but if James Gunn hates it he's entitled to his opinion. My enjoyment of that film doesn't hang on the word of celebrities or bloggers.

I admire your mature and more reasoned perspective.

Still, my objection isn't to his opinion. Rather, it's his tasteless lack of professionalism in expressing it. I don't mind muckraking. I rather enjoy theatricality, trolling, performance art and kayfabe.

But denigrating another professional's work in public like that is just plain tacky. In that town, you're really not supposed to do things like that. Particularly not for influential films like B89.

It's quite evident this guy fancies himself as a edgelord, and emotionally hasn't aged out of the 6th grade. His babbling about Burton/Keaton/Nicholson/Elfman/Nolan ect just sounds like the same blowhard crap you would see some random tw*t parroting on the IMDB forums back in the day.

Given his obnoxious hostility towards B89 in particular ... did he find out that someone involved with the production of the film slept with his girlfriend or something? Hopefully so.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 30 Aug  2023, 15:52It's quite evident this guy fancies himself as a edgelord, and emotionally hasn't aged out of the 6th grade. His babbling about Burton/Keaton/Nicholson/Elfman/Nolan ect just sounds like the same blowhard crap you would see some random tw*t parroting on the IMDB forums back in the day.

Given his obnoxious hostility towards B89 in particular ... did he find out that someone involved with the production of the film slept with his girlfriend or something? Hopefully so.
This. He demonstrates the mentality of a misaligned teenage comics fanboy. As is often the case, the people who thump their comics like a bible bend towards weird, hostile, needlessly pedantic hot takes. That's why I cited the 'fandom menace.' He doesn't seem like a professional filmmaker, he seems like a whiny fan.