Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 15 Jul 2023, 08:13

Previous topic - Next topic
Despite it being only less than half an hour long, this was a good short film that works as a Shazam origin story.

Arnold Vosloo did a great job as the tyrannical Black Adam, and I enjoyed how he delivers his lines with such arrogance and contempt towards Billy and mortal beings. Adam's twisted analogies and God complex outlines his status as a villain, and how it perfectly contrasted Billy's kind-hearted nature. It may be simple, but's very effective.

Superman doesn't really have an arc, but he still plays an important role in this film; from Clark Kent showing an interest to report about poor and impoverished kids like Billy, to convincing Captain Marvel not to let his newfound power blind him from being the better person and use it to kill Black Adam once the fight was over. It's effective, and it's fun watching Superman and Captain Marvel team up. George Newbern as Superman is as solid as ever.

My only gripe is I'm not sure how Black Adam knew the Wizard chose Billy to become Captain Marvel. Putting that plot hole aside, this was still an entertaining little film.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei