Thor: The Dark World

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 23 Apr 2013, 08:10

Previous topic - Next topic
First trailer is out now:

Looks decent, but it didn't wow me.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Looks kind of bland.

And does Loki have to use the word "desperate" so much :-/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Tue, 23 Apr  2013, 09:51
Looks kind of bland.

Unfortunately bland seems to be an apt word to use so far.

Personally I found Thor to be the weakest film of phase one. It wasn't terrible (heck it bettered the dark knight rises)  but I found all the aasgard scenes to be bland. The earth scenes were well done, I was hoping the sequel would have more time on earth but sadly the trailer does not seem as such (though it could be foreign beigns taking over parts of earth). The fact that it had changed directors twice is a bad sign. Natalie Portman has been disgruntled and the winter release can raise eyebrows.

Hiddleston performs some method acting as Loki at the recent Comic Con in San Diego.  ;)

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I can't say I'm a huge fan of Loki's, but Hiddleston is great in the role. As is Hemsworth as Thor.

Quote from: riddler on Thu, 25 Apr  2013, 23:34
Quote from: Paul (ral) on Tue, 23 Apr  2013, 09:51
Looks kind of bland.

Unfortunately bland seems to be an apt word to use so far.

Personally I found Thor to be the weakest film of phase one. It wasn't terrible (heck it bettered the dark knight rises)  but I found all the aasgard scenes to be bland. The earth scenes were well done, I was hoping the sequel would have more time on earth but sadly the trailer does not seem as such (though it could be foreign beigns taking over parts of earth). The fact that it had changed directors twice is a bad sign. Natalie Portman has been disgruntled and the winter release can raise eyebrows.
I also find the first Thor film to be the weakest of the Avengers movies so far (I must confess to really enjoying both Hulk movies, including the non-Phase One-related Ang Lee movie, the Iron Man sequels and Captain America, all of which seem to have their detractors).  On the other hand, The Avengers (or 'Avengers Assemble' as we like to call it in the UK... ::) )  utilised Thor, and Loki in particular, brilliantly and both Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston were a real delight in the film so the Thor sequel could go either way.

However, I doubt the pre-Christmas release is necessarily a bad sign.  I'm pretty sure the film was scheduled for that slot for a long while now (even before production was completed) and it strikes me that with so many films on its roster all to be released within such a short timeframe that Marvel Studios is simply spreading the Phase Two films across the year rather than clumping them all around the summer period.  If anything this looks like a smart marketing strategy especially in view of the number of high-profile big-budget casualties that have already suffered the overstuffed summer movie season schedule.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

^ I must admit that I have a soft spot for Ang Lee's Hulk as well; there is some creative visuals in that movie e.g. the comic panel-style editing when Talbot is killed in the explosion. I think what does hurts it though, is it does come across as pretentious at times, and Eric Bana acting solemn and crying comes across as unintentionally funny. But I still admire it for its creativity, and I can't bring myself to hate like a lot of people do.

I like the first Thor because it showed a well-meaning, albeit arrogant prince who learns humility as he is stripped of his powers and learns a bit of compassion along the way, even if the romance with Jane Foster is rushed (which in hindsight is a flaw in all superhero films). And once again, hiring unknown actors like Hemsworth and Hiddleston to play big roles can pay off in the end - which is why I won't hesitate if a lesser known actor is cast as the new Batman soon. As far as the The Dark World is concerned, it sounds like we'll be getting more focus on Asgard.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 24 Jul  2013, 12:00
^ I must admit that I have a soft spot for Ang Lee's Hulk as well; there is some creative visuals in that movie e.g. the comic panel-style editing when Talbot is killed in the explosion. I think what does hurts it though, is it does come across as pretentious at times, and Eric Bana acting solemn and crying comes across as unintentionally funny. But I still admire it for its creativity, and I can't bring myself to hate like a lot of people do.
OT: I love the fact that Ang Lee was trying to do something different with comic-book movies both in the visual sense which you and I appreciate, and on the thematic sense which perhaps only I liked.  :-\ It seems to get a lot of knocks these days but as far as big Marvel/DC movies go 'Hulk' stands out for me as one of the best because it is so unique and is clearly made by a genuine auteur stamping his own vision onto the material (in the same way Batman Returns, another CBM that gets unfairly bashed in some quarters, is clearly a 'Tim Burton' movie and all the better for being so), whereas so many comic-books movies seem rather generic by contrast.

QuoteI like the first Thor because it showed a well-meaning, albeit arrogant prince who learns humility as he is stripped of his powers and learns a bit of compassion along the way, even if the romance with Jane Foster is rushed (which in hindsight is a flaw in all superhero films). And once again, hiring unknown actors like Hemsworth and Hiddleston to play big roles can pay off in the end - which is why I won't hesitate if a lesser known actor is cast as the new Batman soon. As far as the The Dark World is concerned, it sounds like we'll be getting more focus on Asgard.
I preferred the Asgard sequences with the first Thor movie and didn't care for the jittery back-and-forth between worlds so I for one would welcome more focus on Thor's home-world and yes, less focus on Jane Foster and her buddies.

I have to disagree on Ang Lee's movie, it didn't feel like the real Hulk to me at all. The 2008 film was better.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Wed, 24 Jul  2013, 13:38
I have to disagree on Ang Lee's movie, it didn't feel like the real Hulk to me at all. The 2008 film was better.
Apart from perhaps the lack of many big action scenes, and even then I think that's unfair because when the film does go into action mode it really delivers, I don't see what was lacking in terms of the 'real Hulk' with Ang Lee's movie.  The character seemed pretty faithful as far as I could tell (no less than most comic-book movies).

I do like the 2008 film though.  In fact, I think both Hulk films get unfairly treated by the press/fan-community.  All that being said, Mark Ruffalo is the best Hulk so far.  :)  I hope he gets his own Hulk movie come 'Phase Three'.