Danny Elfman’s Justice League Score

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 30 Sep 2017, 17:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: THE BAT-MAN on Thu,  2 Nov  2017, 03:48Batman doesn't need a new theme.  He already has a iconic one and the same could be said for Superman.  but no, all you can see is that those themes belong in a separate Universe such as the Burtonverse or the Donnerverse.  You don't seem to realize that not all of us look at it that way.  Elfman's Theme is BATMAN in it's purest form.  Sure it's easy to associate it with Tim Burton or Michael Keaton.  but honestly it belongs to the character despite the era or the universe it takes place in,  the director's vision, or actor portraying him.  It's still BATMAN and the same goes for John Williams Superman.
I think you're missing it. These characters are myth. Myth survives when it grows and adapts. Arguably this is most true of Batman but even other characters have changed fairly substantially since their introduction.

Assigning them a certain piece of music as their "definitive" theme effectively encases them in amber and robs them of their essential evolution. As it happens, I'm a Superman guy first and foremost. I'm a lifelong student of the character. He's my GUY.

And I can tell you with authority that the Williams theme is soaring, powerful, driving, iconic and not definitive. It doesn't gel with the animated series, Lois & Clark, most iterations of the comics, the Snyder films, etc. I love the entire Williams score but it should be treated as just one entry in Superman's history.

Same with Batman. So many talented artists have created some really amazing themes for Batman and it would be a crying shame if any of them are discarded simply because some guy nearly 30 years ago composed a theme (admittedly a very solid one) for the character.

I remember people picking on Zimmer a bit for turning the Batman elements of the BVS score over to Junkie XL. But he did that precisely to avoid doing what Elfman is doing. It's kind of funny when you think of it that way.

Here's a clip from he movie, with the B89 theme in the background, and I know most of you aren't happy about it, but I think it works brilliantly in this small clip. I'm sure there will be more, but man, it works here. Getting more of a BTAS vibe than a B89 vibe. I love it!  :)

Elfman's score is probably the most associated with Batman in the eyes of a whole new generation of young Batman film fans thanks to the Lego Batman games.

I watched the brief clips, and they only made me more excited. If the film is anything like that I'm going to be satisfied. I think it has the makings of a fan favorite. The heroes all seem to be strutting their stuff in cool ways. I won't repeat myself about the theme (my love for it can't be questioned) and be a downer because that's not what I want to be. I had a concern about the two hour runtime, but I seriously don't think it'll be an issue. Films that are focused and streamlined (such as Falling Down, which I rewatched yesterday) don't feel rushed in the slightest.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  6 Nov  2017, 00:24
Films that are focused and streamlined (such as Falling Down, which I rewatched yesterday) don't feel rushed in the slightest.
Let me guess, you're a Gavin McInnes fan?  ;)

Mon, 6 Nov 2017, 01:32 #45 Last Edit: Mon, 6 Nov 2017, 21:35 by thecolorsblend
I'm editing this post because hopefully I've made my point.

Quote from: Travesty on Mon,  6 Nov  2017, 01:12
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  6 Nov  2017, 00:24
Films that are focused and streamlined (such as Falling Down, which I rewatched yesterday) don't feel rushed in the slightest.
Let me guess, you're a Gavin McInnes fan?  ;)
Never heard of him until you typed his name.

I dig where this iteration of Gordon is headed. That's basically Gordon as elder statesman Gotham City cop the way I like him. There was an annoying trend going there of a semi-young Gordon and that doesn't work for me as well. Gordon should be older, wiser and well aware of Gotham City's infrastructural limitations... hence his tolerance of Batman.

I came up on comics where Gordon was at least ten or fifteen years older than Batman so a version of Gordon somewhere in his 60's is fine by me.

What I dig more than coal is the fact namtaB is a seasoned pro. When he's standing on the balcony with Gordon he's seen and done a lot already. Same goes for Gordon. Give me that over a rookie starring in an origin film any day of the week. But what I also dig is how namtaB is starting from scratch given he's dealing with space age threats. He's going to stomp these fools, but it's the first time he's doing so. It's the next chapter of his career - and he's more than qualified to take on the job.

Mon, 6 Nov 2017, 03:49 #49 Last Edit: Mon, 6 Nov 2017, 03:52 by THE BAT-MAN
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  2 Nov  2017, 06:12
It doesn't make sense, you just can't comprehend it.

I comprehend it just fine.  The reason being is that Elfman's Batman Music has existed in other media besides the Burton film's,  such as animated shows, video games, toy commercials, trailers, Theme park Rides,  etc...

Quote from: THE BAT-MAN on Thu,  2 Nov  2017, 03:48
Wrong.  Take a good look at The James Bond franchise.  They all have several different actors, which all take place in different eras.  Yet The Bond theme remains true to the character and not by the actor portraying him.
Nope, you're dead wrong. Bond (1962-2002) is a loosely connected series despite the actor changes. In Licence to Kill they reference the events of OHMSS, a 1969 film starring George Lazenby. And regardless, Batman has never kept the same theme - that's just how things are. There has always been a different theme for each incarnation. The rules have been established here. Elfman is simply ignoring them.

I'm not dead wrong.  OHMSS, George Lazenby at the opening fight breaks the 4th wall and says "This never happened to the other guy."  Obviously telling the Audience that this is not the Sean Connery James Bond.  James himself never ages throughout the series.  Money Penny is white in most incarnations and black in Craig's incarnation.  M has changed many times from Male to Female.  And don't even try to convince me with the whole "James Bond" is a CODENAME crap same with "M".  it's obvious that you don't understand what an homage is when it comes to references.  The references are not continuity(i.e. The Death of Bond's Wife) they are instead paying tribute of what came before that is all.  Each version of Bond is set up with it's own era and despite all this his musical main theme still remains true to the character.  That's like you literally trying to convince me that Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are part of the same continuity of the Burton films.  Which clearly they're are not.  Sure there are some references to previous installments, but they're paying homage not continuity.  Forever was a reboot not a true sequel.  Two face was black not white in the Burton film's.  Gotham was not Neon lights.  Elfman's theme at the time did not return.  Even Bruce's flashbacks of his parent's murder are different.   So all those references don't mean sh*t in terms of continuity. 

Quote from: THE BAT-MAN on Thu,  2 Nov  2017, 03:48
What's with everyone thinking that Elfman's score is lighter? I mean sure not every character in Justice League is Batman. Which makes sense to give lighter themes to the other league members.  But almost everyone is acting like his Batman Music is light all of a sudden.  When in fact it's very sound is true to the character.  Dark, Mysterious, Gothic, Operatic, and Heroic.  WTF, am I missing something here?
You're missing a lot. Elfman's music does have a lighter, whimsical touch even though it has dark elements. That's not a putdown, it's just how things are. Compare Zimmer to Elfman. There's a difference in the tone..

That is your opinion not a fact.