Superman Lives!

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Fri, 20 Mar 2009, 20:28

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 21 Mar 2009, 01:49 #10 Last Edit: Sat, 21 Mar 2009, 01:59 by The Dark Knight
Difference being quality. Catwoman is a absolute disgracefully made film. It is atrocious. I doubt Burton would have done anything on that level. We know at least that visually, it would have been stunning.

Sat, 21 Mar 2009, 02:05 #11 Last Edit: Sat, 21 Mar 2009, 14:44 by Dark Knight Detective
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 21 Mar  2009, 01:49
Difference being quality. Catwoman is a absolute disgracefully made film. It is atrocious. I doubt Burton would have done anything on that level. We know at least that visually, it would have been stunning.

Agreed.

But what's it worth if the fundamentals of the character are wadded up and thrown out the window?  An awesome comic book film is less awesome if it doesn't get the spirit of the comics/characters down correctly.  Burton's Batman films work beautifully because they knew when to take directly from the comics and when to leave the comics out.

Sun, 22 Mar 2009, 01:59 #13 Last Edit: Sun, 22 Mar 2009, 02:09 by Dark Knight Detective
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 22 Mar  2009, 01:50
But what's it worth if the fundamentals of the character are wadded up and thrown out the window?  An awesome comic book film is less awesome if it doesn't get the spirit of the comics/characters down correctly. 

That's why I mentioned Catwoman earlier (even though there's nothing awesome about it). They left out everything mandatory for that film. And had Superman Lives been produced, I'm sure it would've suffered the same fate (even though it might've had at least some elements from the comics/graphic novel).

On that much, I agree.  Burton's film would have had unspeakably awful buzz before it opened.  Given that it would've probably cost between $80-$100 mill to make (hardly chump change even by today's standards), it would've been an up hill battle for it to meet even B&R numbers, I think.

Plus, when you look back on it, was the 1990's really the decade for a Superman film?  People were largely happy with their President, the economy was coming along nicely, employment was fairly high, the dot com boom was just 'round the corner (as was the bust, to be fair), etc.  I don't think even a pitch-perfect Superman film would've gone over like gangbusters back then.

I think it would be a big mistake. Burton may understand Batman's universe, but he clearly don't understands Superman's world.
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

It would have been interesting, and I was very interested in what Cage would have done with the character, but overall the only thing I was disappointed about when it was cancelled was the fact that I woudn't be able to HEAR Danny Elfman's take on Superman.

I have problems with Singer's Superman film, lack of action, the stuper kid, but I liked it a lot better than Superman III or IV. plus I've always wanted Kevin Spacey to play Lex Luthor, and while some found him hammy I thought he was absolutely perfect in the role. I jst want some sort of super-powered  villain ( aside from Doomsday whom I don't care much for) for Superman to actually HIT numerous times!
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Thu, 26 Mar 2009, 20:30 #17 Last Edit: Thu, 26 Mar 2009, 20:33 by Gotham Knight

Cool stuff, man. Loved the Elfman styled music. 8)

THAT'S WILLIAM'S MUSIC, BUB!
Sorry, Gotham Knight. It comes off more as, "You'll Beileve A Man Will Commit Suicide!"