Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Started by Grissom, Sat, 29 Nov 2014, 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic
I watched "Clones" and "Revenge" at the cinema when they were new here, but I had watched the originals before. I've come to like "Revenge" more than most fans.

I like Revenge of the Sith. It's my favourite of the prequels.

I won't be able to see the new movie until a few weeks.

Good, Dark Knight, good. Kill Dooku now.  :)

I can give you an opinion after I see it on Friday.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Tue, 15 Dec  2015, 19:59
I watched "Clones" and "Revenge" at the cinema when they were new here, but I had watched the originals before. I've come to like "Revenge" more than most fans.

Did you get to see the 1997 Special Editions when they were in theaters?

Like alot of other fans, I prefer the original theatrical cuts, but I thought they were fun. Mostly due to finally being able to see the original trilogy in a theater setting for once. Unfortunately, it was a mixed bag for sure. Some of the new stuff was ok, while other stuff George wanted for that was irritating.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Wed, 16 Dec 2015, 03:38 #54 Last Edit: Wed, 16 Dec 2015, 03:56 by Edd Grayson
I was still too young in 1997.  :)

I like Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope and Return of the Jedi best, then  Empire Strikes Back , after a re-watch. ESB is simply the middle, it cannot function on its own.

Phantom Menace was not terrible, but not good either, save for Liam Neeson and laying the foundations for the prequels, and Attack of the Clones was okay-ish. From my POV, movie rankings are all subjective to some extent, especially those from critics.

You might have been too young to remember this SNL skit as well then.

Kevin Spacey is absolutely hilarious in this.  :D

http://tidbot.com/link/31791

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Thanks, Joker.  :D

It's more about what I got the opportunity to watch and what I didn't. I am fan of older music and movies as well as newer. And no SNL for me here, I am not American.  :-X But some sketches work. :)

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 16 Dec  2015, 03:35
Like alot of other fans, I prefer the original theatrical cuts, but I thought they were fun. Mostly due to finally being able to see the original trilogy in a theater setting for once. Unfortunately, it was a mixed bag for sure. Some of the new stuff was ok, while other stuff George wanted for that was irritating.
I prefer the theatrical cuts too.

But with time, I've come around to the special editions, even though there are unnecessary changes like RD-D2 hiding behind rocks. But alas, in some ways the changes make future films like TFA possible by unifying the prequels with the classic trilogy. For example having Anakin's force ghost in ROTJ allows Hayden Christensen to appear again at some point. And there are rumors this could happen down the line.

Bottom line, just make the theatrical cuts available on Blu-ray and the complaining will largely cease.

I wish Lucas had made those films in the right order, like Anakin and Padme first, then Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, and bridge characters like the droids, Chewbacca, Obi Wan, Yoda, the Emperor, Qui Gon... but no. He had to bet it all in 1977. And he won. :D

TDK, just out of curiosity, which special editions do you like the best? I haven't checked out the 2011 blu rays special editions .... yet (getting the re-released complete saga blu ray set tomorrow from Amazon, so that will change sooner than later), but have seen the 1997 SE's, as well as the 2004 SE's when the original trilogy was first *officially* released on DVD.

Unfortunately, it's alot easier to compare the 2004 to the 2011 SE's only because of the 1997 SE's never actually getting a official DVD release at any point in time. Which is kinda of a shame. Only because it would be nice for us completionists to have not only the original unaltered original trilogy on blu, but also the 1997 releases as well. Though it goes without saying which set would be the priority.  :)