Superman 4K Box Set (1978-1987) - April 18th 2023

Started by The Joker, Thu, 23 Feb 2023, 14:55

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteIt's a bird! It's a plane! It's the Superman movies as never seen before!

Experience the films in stunning 4K to celebrate the 85th anniversary of one of the world's most beloved superheroes. Follow the Man of Steel's big screen debut, directed by Richard Donner starring Christopher Reeve. Then, witness Superman sacrifice his powers unaware that three Kryptonian villains are to descend on Earth. Welcome Richard Pryor and Annette O'Toole as they join Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman in Superman III, before seeing Superman clash with Lex Luthor and Nuclear Man to save the Statue of Liberty, plug a volcanic eruption and rebuild the demolished Great Wall of China in Superman IV.

5-Film Collection Includes:

Superman: The Movie (1978)
Superman II (1980)
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut (2006)
Superman III (1983)
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987)

Premium Extras Includes:

Superman '78 #1 Collectible Comic Book
Certificate of Authenticity
Photo Book
3D Lenticular of Zod, Ursa, and Non in the Phantom Zone

https://shop.dc.com/product/superman-1978-1987-5-film-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-digital-steelbook-collection

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 23 Feb  2023, 14:55

QuoteIt's a bird! It's a plane! It's the Superman movies as never seen before!

Experience the films in stunning 4K to celebrate the 85th anniversary of one of the world's most beloved superheroes. Follow the Man of Steel's big screen debut, directed by Richard Donner starring Christopher Reeve. Then, witness Superman sacrifice his powers unaware that three Kryptonian villains are to descend on Earth. Welcome Richard Pryor and Annette O'Toole as they join Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman in Superman III, before seeing Superman clash with Lex Luthor and Nuclear Man to save the Statue of Liberty, plug a volcanic eruption and rebuild the demolished Great Wall of China in Superman IV.

5-Film Collection Includes:

Superman: The Movie (1978)
Superman II (1980)
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut (2006)
Superman III (1983)
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987)

Premium Extras Includes:

Superman '78 #1 Collectible Comic Book
Certificate of Authenticity
Photo Book
3D Lenticular of Zod, Ursa, and Non in the Phantom Zone

https://shop.dc.com/product/superman-1978-1987-5-film-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-digital-steelbook-collection

Wow, this looks fantastic and I love that they used the original poster art for the steelbooks. It looks like a lot of thought and effort went into this, um why wasn't this done for the 4K Batman films? I assume whoever made that god awful artwork for those films doesn't work at WB anymore.

Also, where's Superman Returns?

Fri, 24 Feb 2023, 09:14 #2 Last Edit: Fri, 24 Feb 2023, 09:16 by BatmanFurst
Here's a closer look at those steelbooks

Although I can see some people having huge problems with a certain plot twist, the Superman 78 comic was a much better read than the Batman 89 one and felt true to Reeve's world. So I reckon it's a worthy addition to this box set.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Fri, 24 Feb  2023, 06:13
Wow, this looks fantastic and I love that they used the original poster art for the steelbooks.

Agreed!

I went ahead and pre-ordered this. Supposedly, this 2023 release will include a new scan of "Superman: The Movie" on 4K since, I believe, there were some issues/complaints about the color timing with the previous release. I'm kinda relieved that Richard Lester's cut of "Superman II" is there, as that one was getting more elusive, compared to the more readily available Richard Donner cut of "Superman II".

QuoteIt looks like a lot of thought and effort went into this, um why wasn't this done for the 4K Batman films? I assume whoever made that god awful artwork for those films doesn't work at WB anymore.

Also, where's Superman Returns?

Yeah, a more worthwhile 4K box set of the Burton/Schumacher films (with B89 having the original soundtrack option!), that incorporates the original posters art, or even logo's to be perfectly honest, would be nice. The crap 4K artwork that are in place now just really leaves a lot to be desired.

Speculation about SR being the 5th steelbook was there (until it was revealed to be for extras). It would make sense for SR to get it's own 4K steelbook down the road. I'd probably get it just to have it go along with the others (speaking as a OCD completionist), even though I'm really not crazy about that film.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 25 Feb  2023, 03:04
Supposedly, this 2023 release will include a new scan of "Superman: The Movie" on 4K since, I believe, there were some issues/complaints about the color timing with the previous release. I'm kinda relieved that Richard Lester's cut of "Superman II" is there, as that one was getting more elusive, compared to the more readily available Richard Donner cut of "Superman II".

Really? I had no idea they were putting out a new transfer for Superman The Movie. Now I have to get this set. I was teetering on getting it because I'm not a big fan of 3 & 4. While 3 isn't my thing I can still watch it and be entertained, but my biggest problem with it is that it's not funny. However, 4 is just a train wreck.

I've felt like the Lester version has always been available. It had a blu-ray release and it's on HBO Max. They haven't pulled a Star Wars where they've tried to scrub the original version.

Yeah, a more worthwhile 4K box set of the Burton/Schumacher films (with B89 having the original soundtrack option!), that incorporates the original posters art, or even logo's to be perfectly honest, would be nice. The crap 4K artwork that are in place now just really leaves a lot to be desired.

The original poster art for sure, and I want the original soundtracks across the board. 89's soundtrack was the most noticeable, but they needlessly changed bits and pieces of the sequels as well. Even though I'm completely against changing a soundtrack to an older film, I will admit that the original soundtrack to 89 never brought the house down in terms of listening to it on a sound system. But I don't understand changing the soundtracks to Returns, Forever, and Robin when they already have Dolby soundtracks.

I went to a 35mm screening of Batman Returns last year and it sounded amazing. There was no need to tinker with it.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Mon, 27 Feb  2023, 17:15
Supposedly, this 2023 release will include a new scan of "Superman: The Movie" on 4K since, I believe, there were some issues/complaints about the color timing with the previous release. I'm kinda relieved that Richard Lester's cut of "Superman II" is there, as that one was getting more elusive, compared to the more readily available Richard Donner cut of "Superman II".

Really? I had no idea they were putting out a new transfer for Superman The Movie. Now I have to get this set. I was teetering on getting it because I'm not a big fan of 3 & 4. While 3 isn't my thing I can still watch it and be entertained, but my biggest problem with it is that it's not funny. However, 4 is just a train wreck.

I've felt like the Lester version has always been available. It had a blu-ray release and it's on HBO Max. They haven't pulled a Star Wars where they've tried to scrub the original version.

The original poster art for sure, and I want the original soundtracks across the board. 89's soundtrack was the most noticeable, but they needlessly changed bits and pieces of the sequels as well. Even though I'm completely against changing a soundtrack to an older film, I will admit that the original soundtrack to 89 never brought the house down in terms of listening to it on a sound system. But I don't understand changing the soundtracks to Returns, Forever, and Robin when they already have Dolby soundtracks.

I went to a 35mm screening of Batman Returns last year and it sounded amazing. There was no need to tinker with it.
You want to talk about elusive? The original theatrical cut of STM is pretty hard to find, esp these days. It was included as a bonus feature in the tin boxed set from 2006 (or so). But otherwise, it's a pain in the neck to track down.

What you see more often these days is Donner's STM director's cut. It includes some extra (and unnecessary) scenes, some corrected colors (Superman's occasionally aqua body suit was digitally recolored blue) and most noticeable of all is the remixed soundtrack.

Like you, I don't need old movies to sound modern. But if you're going to do it no matter what, at least show some respect and make the original soundtrack still available.

The big problem as I see is that the differences between STM's theatrical cut and director's cut are relatively few in number, in terms of restored scenes. That creates the impression that there's not much difference between the two cuts. But that's simply not true at all.

Based on nothing, I'm guessing this set will probably feature the Donner cut of STM.

Another oddity is the TV version of STM. This sucker clocks in at a mighty three hours. People have jokingly called it The Walking Cut. Because a lot of the extended scenes are people walking around. Harry the cop walking through the Metropolis subway system, teenage Clark walking through the Arctic, Otis walking through Metropolis, lots and lots (and lots) of walking. Anyway, I wonder if the TV version will be included in this set. I'm thinking it won't be. But if anyone's interested in the three hour version, you can find it on iTunes, which is where I bought it.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Mon, 27 Feb  2023, 17:15

Yeah, it's not as bad as the theatrical cuts of the Star Wars Original Trilogy or anything, but you just have to seek out the Lester cut, where the Donner cut of SMII is more readily available. If/whenever I see a single blu ray edition of SMII, it's typically always the Donner cut. Always. Or if you ever run across one of those cheap/affordable 4 movies on 2 disc collections, there is a Reeve Superman version, and you only get the Donner Cut of SMII. No Lester cut to speak of. This is often the case with those 'triple feature' DVDs/blu ray sets as well that includes "Superman Returns" along with STM (probably the Special Edition), and yes, SMII Donner Cut.

If I had to equate this to anything, it's kinda like seeking out the theatrical cuts of Rob Zombie's "Halloween" and "Halloween II". Sure, it's readily available on blu ray via a single blu ray double feature disc, but that's about it. Where the director cuts of both films, are conveniently more available. Even with the now out of print big box set of Halloween movies that Scream Factory released years ago, only the director's cuts of the Zombie films were made available.

Right on. If Warners wants to give us more options with the audio, that's all well and good, but don't exclude the original soundtrack. This shouldn't be a big ask when concerning back catalog titles. Especially so with physical disc releases, where the market is becoming increasingly niche, and thus, are often more sensitive to getting a proper release (I.E. Film grain, original mono soundtrack, correct color timing, ect) that reflects the original theatrical presentation. Or as close as possible.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 27 Feb  2023, 20:16
You want to talk about elusive? The original theatrical cut of STM is pretty hard to find, esp these days. It was included as a bonus feature in the tin boxed set from 2006 (or so). But otherwise, it's a pain in the neck to track down.

What you see more often these days is Donner's STM director's cut. It includes some extra (and unnecessary) scenes, some corrected colors (Superman's occasionally aqua body suit was digitally recolored blue) and most noticeable of all is the remixed soundtrack.

Like you, I don't need old movies to sound modern. But if you're going to do it no matter what, at least show some respect and make the original soundtrack still available.

The big problem as I see is that the differences between STM's theatrical cut and director's cut are relatively few in number, in terms of restored scenes. That creates the impression that there's not much difference between the two cuts. But that's simply not true at all.

Based on nothing, I'm guessing this set will probably feature the Donner cut of STM.

Wait. Are you saying that the original theatrical cut of STM is not included in the 2011 Blu ray set?

QuoteAnother oddity is the TV version of STM. This sucker clocks in at a mighty three hours. People have jokingly called it The Walking Cut. Because a lot of the extended scenes are people walking around. Harry the cop walking through the Metropolis subway system, teenage Clark walking through the Arctic, Otis walking through Metropolis, lots and lots (and lots) of walking. Anyway, I wonder if the TV version will be included in this set. I'm thinking it won't be. But if anyone's interested in the three hour version, you can find it on iTunes, which is where I bought it.

Yeah, I haven't seen anything about the TV cut being included with the upcoming 4K box set. A friend of mine purchased the TV cut blu ray for me a few years ago just so I could see it, and I think it's his preferred cut now. Personally, I find it a nice companion piece, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it the one I would return to repeatedly. I think both my friend, and his wife, just appreciate the extra footage.

I do remember seeing the extra scene of Superman saving Eve Teschmacher before, as it was available via the "deleted scenes" menu on the 2000/2001 Special Edition DVD release, but it was nice to see it inserted into the film rather that simply as a deleted scene option. Also, the TV cut really gives the viewer more of a indication that Lex's long arm really did beat the stuffing out of Otis with the extra aftermath scene provided that I don't recall in the theatrical or special edition cuts.

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 28 Feb  2023, 16:04Wait. Are you saying that the original theatrical cut of STM is not included in the 2011 Blu ray set?
I truly don't know. But honestly, I'd be surprised if the theatrical version was included.

In today's world, "Superman: The Movie" seems to refer to Donner's 2001 (actually 1998) director's cut version. So, if the theatrical version was included with the Blu-Ray set, my guess is it was considered a bonus feature rather than the canonical STM.

Strangely, I don't see very many from the film preservation community sounding the alarm over this. Which is weird but there you go.

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 28 Feb  2023, 16:04

Wait. Are you saying that the original theatrical cut of STM is not included in the 2011 Blu ray set?

It's in there. I have the set. That set has everything except the TV cut of STM, which was released later.

The theatrical isn't that elusive, you just have to put in a little more effort to find it. It's also on the streaming services alongside the extended cut.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton