Batgirl (2022)

Started by johnnygobbs, Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 17:48

Previous topic - Next topic
That is a mess.

Wow!

The Batgirl directors have gone on record saying they don't really know why Keaton's Batman and Simmons' Gordon are tied together.

Quote from: Adil El Arbi
"Well you know, we'd sort of give the same answer, because we would also ask [to WB execs], 'Oh, you have J.K. Simmons from the Snyderverse and we got Michael Keaton from the Burton-verse. What's the situation there?' And they would say, 'Don't worry about it. We got a plan.' They never really explained that aspect to us, but I guess you're gonna have to see the other movies to understand what happens, why the reason is that we ended up in sort of a spaghetti of Multiverses in that aspect. It's gonna be a delicious spaghetti, I'm sure of that."

https://web.archive.org/web/20220718153249/https://thedirect.com/article/batgirl-movie-dc-multiverse-connections-exclusive

"Don't worry about. We got a plan" translates to "We have NO f***ing clue with what we're doing, and we don't care".

I'd much rather take a Batman 3 by Tim Burton - even if he has passed his peak - than whatever the hell this clusterf*** is doing. Rumour has it Keaton's role in this movie is only five minutes long anyway.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Tue, 2 Aug 2022, 20:49 #102 Last Edit: Tue, 2 Aug 2022, 20:51 by Travesty
Looks like this movie got canceled. No release on any platform. Friggin WB has no clue what they're doing, lol.

https://www.thewrap.com/batgirl-movie-dead-warner-bros-discovery-has-no-plans-to-release-nearly-finished-90-million-film/

The word is new management wants to focus on giant theatrical movies, and Batgirl wasn't that. It was a smaller film. Also HBOMAX apparently can't host it because they're killing that service.

I think I'm done. Seriously. I think I'm done with it. All of it. I really tried to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Leave it to WB to make so that NO ONE is happy. LITERALLY NO ONE WINS NOW! YOU HAVE LITERALLY FOUND THE LOSE-LOSE SCENARIO YOU INCOMPETENT RUBES! YOU'VE ALIENATED THE ENTIRE DC FAN BASE!!!!!!!

Set fire to the DCEU because I just don't care. To hell with all of it.

If this is true, then Bat-Keaton's comeback it turning into a farce. First the Batman '89 comic massively disappoints. Then The Flash gets delayed because his co-star is a mentally-unstable PR nightmare. Then his scenes in Aquaman II are deleted and reshot with Affleck. Now another movie of his might be scrapped entirely. The situation is ridiculous.

How long before the #releaseBatgirl campaign gets underway?

It has now been made official via the Hollywood Reporter. 'Cost saving measure' for a low budget nearly finished film that tested decently.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  2 Aug  2022, 21:17
If this is true, then Bat-Keaton's comeback it turning into a farce. First the Batman '89 comic massively disappoints. Then The Flash gets delayed because his co-star is a mentally-unstable PR nightmare. Then his scenes in Aquaman II are deleted and reshot with Affleck. Now another movie of his might be scrapped entirely. The situation is ridiculous.

Our boy deserved better. But seriously, the prior regime and their plans was a absolute clusterF, and evidently the WBD strategy with DC films is to implement change sooner than later, rather than simply take the easier route and allow this Hamada Post-Flashpoint DCEU timeline play itself out.

Some interesting decisions as of late. I'll give 'em that.

QuoteHow long before the #releaseBatgirl campaign gets underway?

;D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

That's an incredible development, especially with this being led by a black female character - and with a fairly high profile of the film actually existing and being made. It will be fascinating to see how the media reports this story, and what everyone connected to the film has to say even though they would all have been paid.

I wasn't super excited about Batgirl but would have seen it due to Keaton's involvement. The Flash basically necessitates him being used afterwards in some fashion. Surely it has to jade him in some way. Does an aborted project still count as part of a contract? In any case, the case, the studio has burned two Keaton appearances (Batgirl and Aquaman 2) without him even making it to the big screen.

If The Flash ends with Batfleck lost in the multiverse, and they still want to continue the DCEU, they may as well do a Crisis film right now. If I were Keaton I wouldn't expand my contract. I'd be looking at how it can be concluded.

But honestly, I don't know what to say. Just incredible news to wrap my head around in terms of mismanagement.

Quote from: The Joker on Tue,  2 Aug  2022, 21:44Our boy deserved better. But seriously, the prior regime and their plans was a absolute clusterF, and evidently the WBD strategy with DC films is to implement change sooner than later, rather than simply take the easier route and allow this Hamada Post-Flashpoint DCEU timeline play itself out.
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  2 Aug  2022, 21:45I wasn't super excited about Batgirl but would have seen it due to Keaton's involvement. The Flash basically necessitates him being used afterwards in some fashion. Surely it has to jade him in some way. Does an aborted project still count as part of a contract? In any case, the case, the studio has burned two Keaton appearances (Batgirl and Aquaman 2) without him even making it to the big screen.

If The Flash ends with Batfleck lost in the multiverse, and they still want to continue the DCEU, they may as well do a Crisis film right now. If I were Keaton I wouldn't expand my contract. I'd be looking at how it can be concluded.

After this bombshell, I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of Keaton replacing Affleck was scrapped altogether. I certainly think we should expect reshoots for The Flash. Partly to get around the Ezra problem, but perhaps also to alter the end of the movie and have Affleck stay on as Batman. The main argument against them reshooting Ezra's scenes was the expense, but if they're willing to scrap a $70-90 million movie then anything's possible.

Whatever happens, I hope they'll at least keep Keaton's scenes in The Flash. It would be nice if after all this disappointment we could get at least one new Batman movie with him. A few months ago we thought we were getting multiple films. Let us keep one at least. :-[

Also, anything DC that isn't a major motion picture is now in jeopardy. The word is that Discovery isn't interested in anything that isn't a giant 200 million dollar expenditure.