What other Tim Burton films do you like?

Started by Dark Knight Detective, Sun, 19 Apr 2009, 19:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Lets See. Honestly. All of them except for Planet of the Apes. On a side note, I grow tired of the Depp Love Affair.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Tue, 28 Apr  2009, 15:27
On a side note, I grow tired of the Depp Love Affair.

Depp is a great actor, but yeah, he's overused. I think Keaton should be involved in Burton's projects more often. Those two just have the chemistry needed to make an epic film.

Tue, 28 Apr 2009, 19:59 #32 Last Edit: Fri, 18 Feb 2011, 02:15 by THE BAT-MAN
Quote from: Grissom on Tue, 28 Apr  2009, 12:35
I am disagreeing somewhat with the whole notion of a Tim Burton film, it's almost as if we are putting him in a mold. Burton has been a very versatile director with great action/adventure films (Batman, Batman Returns), spoofs (Mars Attacks) Biopic (Ed Wood), quirky and dark (Pee Wee and Beetlejuice), Family fantasy (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) etc.

Versitility is his strenght and sometimes dislike when people say"oh it's a Tim Burton film, so it must have this or that etc". Yes there are certain elements that are present in many of his films but that doesn't mean that's all he is or does.

Well stated, Grissom.  Burton is truly a verstile director.  Even though we love Batman and hail it as a Tim Burton film.  Tim has expressed many times that Batman was the one film that didn't feel like his own.  He even felt that it was the most separate from his other pictures.

Haha, ok wait a second there Grissom. ;)
Now don't get me wrong. My intent was not to put him in a mold. The facts are, every director has a style or preference of lighting if you may, when producing a film. Tim himself said in a clip that he favored the seduction of dark and gothic.

And I totally praise his ways and absolutely not locking him down in a bubble or mold as you called it.  I'm sure he can produce a film without the gothic factors and perhaps without any oddities as well if he wanted to. But look down his film productions throughout time. He obviously loves "dark" and "odd" as much as Steven Spielberg loves "suspense" and "adventure". 
He has a thing for "goth" (and stripe socks).
You can add all the action in the world in either one or the romance drama, but as long as those two elements and perhaps a few others are implemented, one can come to easily identify it as a Tim Burton film.

But that's not a bad thing dude!

I don't love Tim Burton because of his versatility. I love his work because of the said elements he likes to apply in all or most of his projects. That's what I meant about "a Tim Burton film". Though POTA is an odd story, I personally, in my humble opinion, wasn't feeling it. It wasn't bad by any means, I just didn't feel like Tim should have manned the guns for that film. And I wasn't looking for goth or stripe socks in POTA necessarily, but maybe something a bit larger in scale. A little more James Cameron if you will. And I certainly wouldn't want James Cameron directing a Beetlejuice movie either. Not because I don't believe these guys can pull it off, but because they each have a mojo that is their strengths which plays well in their own styles.

POTA, It's a good movie, no doubt. But it wasn't one of my favorites.   :)

You can't deny unless you're forcing to, out of clear fanaticism, that he's very well known for movies like Beetlejuice, Batman/Returns, Edward Scissorhands and Nightmare Before Christmas, etc etc, or any film that has "odd" written in it in some form or another, which you have to admit, is exactly what has made Tim Burton very well known for and LOVED by many movie goers.  ;)

I'm sure versatility isn't a problem for him. But whenever you think of Tim Burton in general, you're telling me you don't think stripe socks or sandworms, gothic or spooky backgrounds, dead dogs, weird situations and scissors for hands?  :)

In conclusion, personally, I see nothing wrong with the "mold" HE put himself in. I LOVE this mold.  :D Actually, I would prefer to call it "style" instead. Tim Burton is one of my favorite directors and I love his "style" of movie directing. ;)

I hope that clarifies my intent on the mold subject. Long live Tim!
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Tue, 28 Apr  2009, 12:43
If Burton directs Pirates 4, he should cast Keaton & give him a main or supporting role.

I have to admit, I do like the sound of that!  :)
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

Wed, 29 Apr 2009, 14:54 #35 Last Edit: Fri, 18 Feb 2011, 02:16 by THE BAT-MAN
Batnar, I completely understand what your saying.  Despite Tim being a versatile director.  He is after all an artist and like most artists, they have in a sense their own uniqueness and style, which is expressed throughout their work.  Thank you for clearing that up.   

Tim Burton is my favourite director alive and working today. The only film of his I'm not a fan of is Planet of the Apes. Edward Scissorhands and Sweeney Todd are two of the best films ever made IMO, and The Nightmare before Christmas is in my DVD player every Halloween and Christmas.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Tue, 28 Apr  2009, 15:27
On a side note, I grow tired of the Depp Love Affair.

I agree.  It's like the Scorsese/DiCaprio love affair, or the Scott/Crowe love affair (which still has a little more mileage in it I think).  Why can't these otherwise great directors cast someone else as their lead for once?  It bothers me that they might be compromising their range as artists by limiting themselves only to projects that can incorporate their favourite leading men, or even worse, try shoe-horning these actors into roles that are eminently unsuitable.  For instance, does DiCaprio really strike anyone as being right to play Frank Sinatra, as he is rumoured to be up for?

PS: Sorry to go off topic a bit.  I still like Depp a lot.  I just wish Burton would use someone else once in a while.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.