What other Tim Burton films do you like?

Started by Dark Knight Detective, Sun, 19 Apr 2009, 19:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 19 Apr 2009, 19:43 Last Edit: Mon, 20 Apr 2009, 06:26 by Dark Knight Detective
Thanks to Batman (1989), I became a fan of Tim Burton & have seen several of his films, none of which have disappointed me.

But the films of his that I have enjoyed the most would have to be Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, James & The Giant Peach (even though he was the producer of Nightmare & Peach, while Henry Selick was the director of both films), Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish, Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, & Corpse Bride.

And now, what I ask is this; what other films of Tim Burton do you like?

I love all of Burton's films, some more than others.

Overall, I would place Edward Scissorhands (my personal favourite of his films), Sweeny Todd, Mars Attacks! and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory alongside the Batman movies as his best works.  Ed Wood is great as well, although generally I prefer his more fantastical films.

NB:  I haven't yet seen Big Fish but suspect I will enjoy that as much as the aforementioned.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

BATMAN, Batman Returns, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and Corpse Bride.

Im sure I'll love Alice In Wonderland too.  ;)
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

Mon, 20 Apr 2009, 02:29 #3 Last Edit: Fri, 18 Feb 2011, 02:08 by THE BAT-MAN
I too, became a fan of Burton's because of his Batman films.  I have seen every movie that he's made so far and I have never been disappointed by them, but in truth the one element that I think makes Tim Burton's films special apart from his unique artistic style is his collaborations with composer Danny Elfman.  Danny has a special way of interpreting Tim's movies through music and it's because of him that I developed an awareness for film scores and the importantance of orchestra music in general.  I also began to self educate myself in the study of music and became a self taught musician and composer.

Mon, 20 Apr 2009, 02:34 #4 Last Edit: Mon, 20 Apr 2009, 02:36 by The Dark Knight
Burton is my favorite director. I love his collaborations with Elfman as well. He's also my favorite film composer. The modern Lennon/McCartney teamup!

I like his Batman films (obviously), Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride and Sweeney Todd. Can't wait for his Alice in Wonderland either.

As much as I love the Batman films, I truly feel that Beetlejuice may have been Burton's best work, perhaps Keaton's as well. There's never been anything like Beetlejuice, and probably never will, unless they make a sequel. I think it was the film that truly established Burton as a creative and daring talent. I will always have respect for Burton and his willingness to shy away from the norm and make truly artistic and inspiring films. Love them or hate them, every Burton film always has something in it that you can just look at and say, wow!

Agreed. Returns is my favorite from him. But Edward Scissorhands is his best for me. I think Burton has said something along those lines as well.

I absolutely love Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. I also have a major soft spot for Mars Attacks!, even though it gets a tad mean spirited at times. Big Fish was good. I also loved his Charlies and the Chocolate Factory, which is more closer in tone to the book than the original. Sweeney was pretty good, but not as good as the stage version. Another favorite of mine, even though it is wildly uneven, is his Planet of the Apes. I felt he was really trying to stretch with that one.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Tue, 21 Apr 2009, 13:50 #8 Last Edit: Tue, 21 Apr 2009, 13:52 by silenig
Quote from: THE "BAT-MAN" on Mon, 20 Apr  2009, 02:29
I too became a fan of Burton's because of his Batman films.  I have seen every movie that he's made so far and I have never been disappointed by them, but in truth the one element that I think makes Tim Burton's films special apart from his unique artistic style is his collaborations with composer Danny Elfman.  Danny has a special way of interpreting Tim's movies through music and it's because of him that I developed an awareness for film scores and the importantance of orchestra music in general.  I also began to self educate myself in the study of music and became a self taught musician and composer.

I could never say it better  ;D

Edward, Corpse Bride, Nightmare, Big Fish, Sleepy Hollow (alongside the Batmen, of course), a unique blend of dark neoromanticism and gothic/baroque aesthetics with humor, which I find irresistible. As fanboyish as it may sound, I don't think Tim Burton ever made a really disappoiting film. Pee Wee, Beetlejuice, Ed Wood, Mars Attacks, Chocolate Factory, Sweeney Todd... Even the maligned "re-imagining" of Planet of the Apes has its merits.

I'm one of those that hold their breath for Alice in Wonderland;D

Quote from: silenig on Tue, 21 Apr  2009, 13:50
I'm one of those that hold their breath for Alice in Wonderland;D
Same, can't wait for that.